01-22-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
I got into the wet shaving 6 months ago.  I started with Proraso Green.  As I learned about different kinds of the soaps, I bought more.  Now I have almost 25 soaps.  I do rotate and use them all.  Do they go bad over the time?

0 24
 01-22-2017, 03:16 PM
User Info
I've yet to have a soap go bad.  I've used vintage Williams that was decades old and it performed wonderfully.  I have several artisan soaps >2 years old that are still going strong.

10 402
 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
If it's dried out properly post shaving it should increase the longevity. Softer soap have a higher probability of going bad I suppose. I read about cella going bad.

10 378
 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
Store them in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight. Soap generally has a long shelf life although at some point you may notice some fading of the scent - it just depends on the soap.  Commercial hard soaps have an almost indefinite shelf life.  Soft soaps might get harder over time, as moisture evaporates, but they are still fine to use.  If a soap develops yellow spots or an "off" smell, it means that the oils have gone rancid, but it's a fairly rare occurrence, in my experience.

0 281
 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info

I have quite a few soaps. I don't recall any of them spoiling. A couple of creams turned rancid, but I don't recall a soap ever becoming so.

60 1,625
 01-22-2017, 04:41 PM
User Info
(01-22-2017, 03:54 PM)Mystic Water Wrote: Store them in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight. Soap generally has a long shelf life although at some point you may notice some fading of the scent - it just depends on the soap.  Commercial hard soaps have an almost indefinite shelf life.  Soft soaps might get harder over time, as moisture evaporates, but they are still fine to use.  If a soap develops yellow spots or an "off" smell, it means that the oils have gone rancid, but it's a fairly rare occurrence, in my experience.

Thanks for your expert opinion Michelle.  I agree that there is a loss of scent over time, and soft soaps can get hard, but that otherwise soaps have a long life.

50 6,411