01-22-2017, 03:18 PM
User Info
For those of you who have used both, would you mind to offer a comparison?  Thanks.  The ATT Calypso looks interesting to me.  Thanks.

10 338
 01-23-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
Thanks for asking this Joe. i have looked around, but I do not find comps on the Calypso.

12 245
 01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
User Info
I've used several pre- and post-War Techs as well as the Calypso with M and R plates. The first comparison that comes to mind is that it took some time to find and lock-in the right cutting angle with the ATT, and no time at all with the Techs. The Techs also felt smoother to me, as I was caught between the ATT plates' blade gaps. I've no doubt I'm in the minority on those particulars, so take it with a grain of salt. Fit to hand and finish accolades go to the ATT; it's a beautifully made razor.

29 1,776
 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM
User Info
(01-23-2017, 05:56 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I've used several pre- and post-War Techs as well as the Calypso with M and R plates. The first comparison that comes to mind is that it took some time to find and lock-in the right cutting angle with the ATT, and no time at all with the Techs. The Techs also felt smoother to me, as I was caught between the ATT plates' blade gaps. I've no doubt I'm in the minority on those particulars, so take it with a grain of salt. Fit to hand and finish accolades go to the ATT; it's a beautifully made razor.

Ron- thanks for your reply. If you were forced to choose between the two plates, which would you suggests most closely represents the "feel" of the Tech? I use a straight most of the time, but when I use a DE, I prefer something very mild, like a Tech. The only modern made DEs I own are the ATT Atlas with a M2 head and a Tradere OC, but I'm saving that one for my son.

10 338
 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM
User Info
Joe, to me the M-plate felt closer to a post-War Tech and is by far the mildest modern razor I've used; the R- felt closer to a pre-War and was more efficient. Depending on which Tech you prefer, you could start with the similar ATT plate and if it doesn't work you can exchange it for the other.

29 1,776
 01-24-2017, 09:32 PM
User Info
(01-24-2017, 07:45 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: Joe, to me the M-plate felt closer to a post-War Tech and is by far the mildest modern razor I've used; the R- felt closer to a pre-War and was more efficient. Depending on which Tech you prefer, you could start with the similar ATT plate and if it doesn't work you can exchange it for the other.

Thank you for the feedback, Ron, I really appreciate it!!!

10 338
 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I have a M2 and have used an M1. The M1 feels more like a Tech. Very mild. Even though they have the same gap etc.. the M1 is much milder than the M2.

72 1,217
 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM
User Info
The Calypso is a mild razor but extremely efficient. In terms of the Tech comparison I find it similar to the Hybrid Tech and/or English flat bottom Tech. It (ATT M plate) is more efficient than either the Canadian 1932 or Triangle opening American Tech. I probably shave with it as much as the Colonial General which I think is the best SE razor around. I have a couple hundred razors and I would never get rid of the Calypso or any British made Tech.

51 315