08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
I'd like to change the leather in a bunch of Rolls Razor strops to make sure they are 100%.

What sort of leather do I put in place?

I assume I need to make sure it's the same thickness, but there are sorts sort of leather available.

Thanks!

32 6,308
 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(08-12-2012, 02:05 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I'd like to change the leather in a bunch of Rolls Razor strops to make sure they are 100%.

What sort of leather do I put in place?

I assume I need to make sure it's the same thickness, but there are sorts sort of leather available.

Thanks!
I used to be in the Shoe Repair business and I think cowhide from the back of the animal is the most close grained...you could check at a Tandy leather store if there is one in your area...belly leather is thin and stretchy.Probably a Shoe Repair shop might have a piece you could buy...or you could cut a piece from another strop if you can find one...most of the other leathers are grained and more for decorative purposes.

6 1,913
 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
You could even go with an exotic leather such as Kangaroo or buffalo. Horsehide is a good choice as well.

That said, if you go with cowhide, just make sure it's top grain leather (highest quality, uncorrected). I think it's called top grain anyway. Full grain is supposed to be slightly lower quality.

9 2,988
 08-13-2012, 01:53 AM
User Info
Bridle leather works well. Remember that it should be thicker than the original strop, as that had a thick rubberized backing. Basically, the leather should be just thick enough to snugly fit under the tabs. Use some spray-mount when you put it in.

37 1,731
 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
Well, I thought I would be doing it, but I contacted Neil Miller for the leather and he wants the metal plates to cut the leather precisely to fit each one. So he'll be doing the installs also.

32 6,308