02-23-2017, 05:34 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 12:45 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Thanks for the tips, guys

My plan is to also use the CI pan as a sauter pan for vegetables and also for omelette

Hello, I am not as big of a fan of the enameled cast iron as I am pure cast iron but it is good for some things.  My suggestion would be for cast iron frying pan and enameled cast iron Dutch Oven.....which errrr...now that I think about it may be called something different where you live?

For cast iron I am not sure about where you live but I would go with whatever is the right size, cheapest and does not have horrible reviews or even go vintage but I am pretty sure you would not do that.

For me the cheapest cast iron skillet is Lodge locally at Target or Sears. 

But none of that is the reason I am responding to this thread.  The real reason is that one of the things I love doing in my cast iron skillet is charring veggies.  I generally prefer them charred to sautéed but maybe I will grow out of it?

For accessories I highly recommend a Dexter Russell Stainless Steel and Walnut turner and Jacobs Pride (Volrath) S/S Scalloped Tongs.

If frying at high heat you will want an oil with a high smoke point oil.  For me that means Peanut oil, bacon fat or lard.  I do use Olive oil at lower temps though.

IMHO to get the best use out of cast iron on the stove top I think you need gas burners. 

Please let us know what you decide and what you think of it when you use it.

0 140
 02-23-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
I bought the Le Creuset 12" cast iron pan that can go from stove to oven.
I will use this for searing steaks and meat mostly. And for home baked pizza.

For sauter I bought a stainless steel 10" sauter pan with lid from Scanpan.
Will use the SS Sauter for vegetables and deglazing.

Then I bought a 4 qt 11" Staub cast iron sauter pot with lid for braising and larger rise dishes.

I then kept my 10" Scanpan non-stick sauter pan with glass lid for omelette, frittata and Danish egg cake.

23 5,535