01-27-2017, 01:33 AM
User Info
I'm currently in a 2 months testing phase where I mainly use unscented shaving soaps/creams, but once every 6-7 shave I'm using a scented soap.

I found my 3 Nuavia soaps at the bottom of a basket filled with 20 old Select CRSW soaps and my backup Terracotta I Coloniali soap.
Took the Nuavia Blue out.

Used it for two shaves. One with 3 days growth and one with 1 day growth.

Paired it with my Caron 3.rd Man EDT.
Some say they smell alike. I honestly don't get that vibe. Perhaps a tiny bit in the dry down. But not much at all.
I rather get a Caties Bubbles Le Piment de la vie vibe from my Nuavia Blue.
But Nuavia Blue is softer and better blended than Caties LPV.

The design of the ceramic bowl is just excellent. Marco did well !!

Now for the performance of Nuavia Blue.

AWESOME FANTASTIC GREAT INCREDIBLE MARVELLOUS PHENOMENAL

Can't say one single negative word about it. This shaving soap is so good, that it's almost a crime.

Only let down is price and that you can't get refills for it. Other than that, this shaving soap is at the very top.

Rating

Presentation: 10/10
Scent composition: 10/10
Scent strength: 9/10
Easy of lathering: 10/10
Lather creation: 10/10
Slickness: 9/10
Glide: 10/10
Protection during the shave: 9/10
Cushion: 10/10
Stability of lather: 10/10
Residual slickness: 9/10
Post shave feel: 10/10

Overall rating of Nuavia Blue: 10/10

Even if I decide to go the unscented route, I will continue to buy all the Nuavia shaving soaps, Marco makes.
They are simply phenomenal.

[Image: 215cccb031e9f632a8012548e375db64.jpg]
[Image: c5107813bb0b95f7051411726f7ea20b.jpg]

24 5,963
 01-27-2017, 03:33 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Agree on the phenomenal thing, love those soaps!

28 1,442
 01-27-2017, 05:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I bought the first two Nuavias about 16 months ago. They're still 85% full each. I have to use them more often. Lately I'm using the Rossa, because winter months is the only period that I can use this soap. It's a strong, winter scent.

I came to the conclusion that what really makes unique these soaps are the scents. There is a number of soaps that perform equally good or even better. If the scents were more simple and less strong, then we wouldn't talk about these soaps so much. Also, the luxury container plays a role on this.

The fact that they don't offer refills is a part of their marketing approach. You have the money for an expensive luxury soap? If you are lucky enough to finish it, you will buy it again, because their scents are unique and you'll love them. That's all. I don't blame them, but they lost me as a returning customer because of this. I don't think they even care about it, they stopped commenting on forums a while ago, not to mention the answer the gave on why they don't offer refills...

About the ease of lathering, I wouldn't give these soaps a 10 out of 10. They're more of an 8. Same about the lather creation. Why I'm saying that. There are soaps like Dapper Dragon or others that lather a lot more easily and their lather is richer and longer-lasting. Nuavia soaps lather is delicate, not rich. You have to be very careful when you drop water in the bowl. A few more drops of water that it's needed and you have to load your brush again. But it's indeed protective and does the job good, so no problem on that.

Are these photos taken from their site? The Blu I've bought has a dark brown colour, not a light brownish. Maybe the later batches have a lighter scent.

49 1,995
 01-27-2017, 06:48 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Agreed Claus.  Nuavia is my favorite soap and my very best performer.  Love it on all fronts.

7 223
 01-27-2017, 06:59 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Great soap, but not a good value. Will not buy again.

37 1,861
 01-27-2017, 07:19 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I have the blue on the way after receiving a sample of the blue and red from a friend. I like both but the scent of the red is just too strong for my liking. I don't know if I would re-order the blue though, there are lots of soaps in the world that perform as well.

The blue smells like Moulinard Red to me, though it it a little sweeter than the Moulinard.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 01-27-2017, 07:32 AM
User Info
Thanks, Claus, for the detailed review. I agree with you: Every time I break out one of the Nuàvias, I'm impressed by their performance. 

I don't have a very refined nose, but the Caron 3eme Homme smells exactly the same as the Blu. I'll usually pair Acqua di Parma Colonia with the Rossa, and something summery and crisp with the Verde.

The Blu I got, like Nikos's, is much darker than the picture. Probably the batch and the reaction of the vanilla.

23 632
 01-27-2017, 07:56 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I love the brand and have owned all 3 flavors but of the 3 the Blue is my least favorite fragrance and I have traded the Blue for a Red. I now have 2 Green and 2 Red and will always have them in my rotation. I have to say my experience with the soaps is very different than Nick's, I get great lather that is slick and thick, but that's my water and method. The fragrances are strong and perfume like in complexity and not everyone is going to like all the fragrances. Of the 3 the Green is to my nose the least strong in fragrance.

11 659
 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
To me the only soap better than Nuavia Blu is Nuavia Rossa  Wink

3 920
 01-27-2017, 08:53 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
One of the best, no doubt!

48 976
 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM
User Info
love all three;  blu, red, green in that order.  another big part is the ceramic showing off my den.  I am nuts for ceramic and nice bowls. performance and looks..... Oscar winner+

73 1,295
 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM
User Info
For me, the 8-10 times I have used my 3 Nuavia's (3 times each circa), the lather creation is instant, reminds me of Barrister & Mann glissant and older white label, instant lather, like it was one of the easiest shaving creams in the world to lather.

My Nuavia Blue is also much darker, from the Vanilla I guess. I used the 2 production photos from Nuavia's own website.

I still can't think of a negative thing to say about this soap, other, than the price is a bit steep and there are no refills available.

But Santa Maria Novella v3 cost my Girlfriend a total of €75 shipped from the SMN store in Italy, so compared to that Nuavia's are priced in the same range, and you get a great ceramic pot with the Nuavia soap, which you can use for other soaps, once it's empty.

Next up for me is Santa Maria Novella v3, which I will get for my birthday next month.

I'm going to slow down a bit in 2017, since I still think of going 100% unscented, or at least partly unscented, so I'm only buying what I would call 'Must have ÜBER HIGH QUALITY luxury shaving soap/creams' this year and will focus on artisans and brands, that have a history behind them. So L&L and Tallow & Steel will have to wait to be added to my collection until 2018/2019, since I feel a brand and an artisan have to have some years under his/their belt for me to trust him/them with my money (Phoenix & Beau still comes to my mind)

In short my conclusion is, that I will rebuy all  the Nuavia shaving soaps again, once mine are used up.
Nuavia soaps are in the I Coloniali/Castle Forbes/SMN/ABC/Boellis/Czech&Speak/ADP/Xpec/LPL Tallow/SDM/Tabula Rasa quality category, and presentation is stellar.
I still have not shaved since my shave yesterday with Nuavia Blue, and I have that very nice smotth feeling on my face, even though the stubbles are starting to return, I still have that baby smooth skin feeling going on, which just tells me what a great soap Nuavia is.

24 5,963
 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM
User Info
One of the best veggie soaps around in my opinion.

74 2,271
 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM
User Info
 CHSeifert I completely agree with your review and I think the red is just as good.

0 253
 01-27-2017, 02:22 PM
User Info
Does anyone know if the blue dish is sold separately?

6 290
 01-27-2017, 05:18 PM
User Info
I have to agree, it's so easy to load and lather and the performance is outstanding. I also love loading from the ceramic dish. Top of the line for sure.

10 1,665
 01-27-2017, 06:53 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Claus, I've always thought Nuavia Blu smells like a cross between Caron 3rd Man and Caron Pour un Homme. If the 3rd Man didn't work, I'd suggest trying Pour un Homme next time you use the Blu. Just a thought.

6 345
 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 06:53 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: Claus, I've always thought Nuavia Blu smells like a cross between Caron 3rd Man and Caron Pour un Homme. If the 3rd Man didn't work, I'd suggest trying Pour un Homme next time you use the Blu. Just a thought.

Ok, I've noted that! Any other suggestions for an aftershave that smells like Blu? I just love the fragrance.

14 142
 02-14-2017, 08:42 PM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 05:07 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I bought the first two Nuavias about 16 months ago. They're still 85% full each. I have to use them more often. Lately I'm using the Rossa, because winter months is the only period that I can use this soap. It's a strong, winter scent.

I came to the conclusion that what really makes unique these soaps are the scents. There is a number of soaps that perform equally good or even better. If the scents were more simple and less strong, then we wouldn't talk about these soaps so much. Also, the luxury container plays a role on this.

The fact that they don't offer refills is a part of their marketing approach. You have the money for an expensive luxury soap? If you are lucky enough to finish it, you will buy it again, because their scents are unique and you'll love them. That's all. I don't blame them, but they lost me as a returning customer because of this. I don't think they even care about it, they stopped commenting on forums a while ago, not to mention the answer the gave on why they don't offer refills...

About the ease of lathering, I wouldn't give these soaps a 10 out of 10. They're more of an 8. Same about the lather creation. Why I'm saying that. There are soaps like Dapper Dragon or others that lather a lot more easily and their lather is richer and longer-lasting. Nuavia soaps lather is delicate, not rich. You have to be very careful when you drop water in the bowl. A few more drops of water that it's needed and you have to load your brush again. But it's indeed protective and does the job good, so no problem on that.

Are these photos taken from their site? The Blu I've bought has a dark brown colour, not a light brownish. Maybe the later batches have a lighter scent.

I'm curious, what soap have you found that performs better than Nuavia? If anything the strong scents of their soaps are a negative for me, and I have yet to try a better performing soap than Nuavia. I see you give it a 8/10 for ease of lathering? If it were to lather any easier than it does it could only do so by spontaneous conbustionWink

8 192
 02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 09:05 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: For me, the 8-10 times I have used my 3 Nuavia's (3 times each circa), the lather creation is instant, reminds me of Barrister & Mann glissant and older white label, instant lather, like it was one of the easiest shaving creams in the world to lather.

My Nuavia Blue is also much darker, from the Vanilla I guess. I used the 2 production photos from Nuavia's own website.

I still can't think of a negative thing to say about this soap, other, than the price is a bit steep and there are no refills available.

But Santa Maria Novella v3 cost my Girlfriend a total of €75 shipped from the SMN store in Italy, so compared to that Nuavia's are priced in the same range, and you get a great ceramic pot with the Nuavia soap, which you can use for other soaps, once it's empty.

Next up for me is Santa Maria Novella v3, which I will get for my birthday next month.

I'm going to slow down a bit in 2017, since I still think of going 100% unscented, or at least partly unscented, so I'm only buying what I would call 'Must have ÜBER HIGH QUALITY luxury shaving soap/creams' this year and will focus on artisans and brands, that have a history behind them. So L&L and Tallow & Steel will have to wait to be added to my collection until 2018/2019, since I feel a brand and an artisan have to have some years under his/their belt for me to trust him/them with my money (Phoenix & Beau still comes to my mind)

In short my conclusion is, that I will rebuy all  the Nuavia shaving soaps again, once mine are used up.
Nuavia soaps are in the I Coloniali/Castle Forbes/SMN/ABC/Boellis/Czech&Speak/ADP/Xpec/LPL Tallow/SDM/Tabula Rasa quality category, and presentation is stellar.
I still have not shaved since my shave yesterday with Nuavia Blue, and I have that very nice smotth feeling on my face, even though the stubbles are starting to return, I still have that baby smooth skin feeling going on, which just tells me what a great soap Nuavia is.

I'm a big advocate of unscented soaps! I wish more of the high end soaps would come in an unscented option... lets cross our fingers for Nuavia to make oneSmile. What is your favorite unscented shave soap? For me it's the Valobra hard puck.

8 192