01-27-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
OK, I want to get the Futur.  However, as good as the reviews are on Amazon, the 1-2-3 star ones really, REALLY rip this razor and many for what seem like good, non subjective reasons.  I like Forums like this because most if not all members are knowledgeable, reasonable folk willing to help.  So what am I missing?  Do you like this razor and why?  

Right now I shave with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and/or an iKon slant X3. (sometimes I use both during 1 shave.  I start with the EJ and finish with the iKon).  I shave about every day to every other day as my beard growth is light. My skin is not that sensitive. I use a pre-shave oil and with the DEs a 2 - 3 shave pass routine. 
Thanks in advance for your responses.
DB

4 74
 01-27-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 07:08 AM)DBart. Wrote: OK, I want to get the Futur.  However, as good as the reviews are on Amazon, the 1-2-3 star ones really, REALLY rip this razor and many for what seem like good, non subjective reasons.  I like Forums like this because most if not all members are knowledgeable, reasonable folk willing to help.  So what am I missing?  Do you like this razor and why?  

Right now I shave with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and/or an iKon slant X3. (sometimes I use both during 1 shave.  I start with the EJ and finish with the iKon).  I shave about every day to every other day as my beard growth is light. My skin is not that sensitive. I use a pre-shave oil and with the DEs a 2 - 3 shave pass routine. 
Thanks in advance for your responses.
DB

OK. follow up question: is the cap plastic or metal and is it tough to take on and off?

4 74
 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
I like my Futur, IMO it is a nice adjustable with good buid quality. The design is straightforward and modern, some people like it, some not. For me shave results depending much on the type of blade with this razor. I get good and smooth shaves with many of the russian blades like Vokshod or Ladas, on the other side Feathers do not work for me with this razor, they feel harsh also when the razor is dialed in on low seetings. The razor is quite heavy, perfect if you like hefty equipment, the razor head is quite bulky which can be a challange in some areas, f. ex. under the nose. Some users rate the handle as a bit slippery during use as there is no knurling. I own a matt finish version which I feel is OK but for sure not as save as a knurled handle. I am not sure how much grip the polished version provides. The main parts of the razor incl. the topcap are made of plated Zamac, some internal mechanical parts are Brass. The topcap has 2 pins that align the blade and fit into 2 holes in the baseplate. On the baseplate there are two pieces of spring steel that grip these pins and hold the topcap + blade in place, in general easy to handle.

Best Regards from Copenhagen

7 241
 01-27-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 08:39 AM)motto Wrote: I like my Futur, IMO it is a nice adjustable with good buid quality. The design is straightforward and modern, some people like it, some not. For me shave results depending much on the type of blade with this razor. I get good and smooth shaves with many of the russian blades like Vokshod or Ladas, on the other side Feathers do not work for me with this razor, they feel harsh also when the razor is dialed in on low seetings. The razor is quite heavy, perfect if you like hefty equipment, the razor head is quite bulky which can be a challange in some areas, f. ex. under the nose. Some users rate the handle as a bit slippery during use as there is no knurling. I own a matt finish version which I feel is OK but for sure not as save as a knurled handle. I am not sure how much grip the polished version provides. The main parts of the razor incl. the topcap are made of plated Zamac, some internal mechanical parts are Brass. The topcap has 2 pins that align the blade and fit into 2 holes in the baseplate. On the baseplate there are two pieces of spring steel that grip these pins and hold the topcap + blade in place, in general easy to handle.

Best Regards from Copenhagen

Wonderful information and thank you for a prompt response.  This will weigh heavily in my decision!
Cheers
DAB

4 74
 01-27-2017, 09:48 AM
User Info
I really like my futur as well.  I find myself reaching for it and the muhle R-41 more than any other razor I have(I don't have the Rockwell, Timeless, Wolfman or other high-end ones though).  Number 3 for me is the Gillette Slim Adjustable and then the Red tip.(To give you an idea of my preferences).

0 204
 01-27-2017, 10:03 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 09:48 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: I really like my futur as well.  I find myself reaching for it and the muhle R-41 more than any other razor I have(I don't have the Rockwell, Timeless, Wolfman or other high-end ones though).  Number 3 for me is the Gillette Slim Adjustable and then the Red tip.(To give you an idea of my preferences).

Cool. Thanks!

4 74
 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
Personally, I looked at the Futur and the Progress and ended up choosing the latter, for two reasons: first, I am a little put off by the design (purely a personal preference thing).  And second, I didn't like the smooth surface - personally preferring any handle that's knurled/textured.  While the Progress' handle isn't textured it does have ribbing at least (I emailed Merkur to request they do a SS design with at least some knurling for better grip but they've decided to do neither).

All that said, Merkur makes quality razors and I don't doubt the Futur is on par or better from that perspective than any of their other razors.  I seriously doubt anyone would be done wrong by the Future, which makes the decision one of strictly personal preference.

THAT being said, I ended up swapping my Progress with a new Mergress XL and couldn't be more pleased.  Eric does an amazing job upgrading the Progress and now I don't shave with anything but.

I wish you all the best with your Futur!  I think you'll be very pleased if that's your preference.

0 401
 01-28-2017, 09:26 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I sold my Futur years ago. Lately I seem to prefer SE razors. However, when I did own one I did a work around the slippery handle. I simply put some o- rings in the handle . this work around worked even better than knurling. 
[Image: A6jHfbN.jpg]

70 1,098
 01-28-2017, 10:41 AM
User Info
The circular ridge where those o-rings are is where I grip mine and have never had any issues.

0 204
 01-29-2017, 02:49 AM
User Info
Just remember that this razor is fairly aggressive. If you compare it to the merkur progress on setting this has a bit more blade gap on all settings.

It is a big razor as well and it got some heft to it.i have never had any problems with a slippery handle just make sure you dont have soap residue on you're hands.

2 315
 01-29-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
If anyone is on the fence, I would suggest going ahead and getting one.  Shaving with it is different.  The feedback is really loud.

0 204
 01-30-2017, 11:29 AM
User Info
I own futur for about 3 months now. As someone mentioned before, it is a heavy razor. I have yet to shave with setting number 6. I do 3 passes. For the first pass I use setting 4 and lower to setting 3 on second pass and for final pass I lower it setting 1. I use Astra platinum and I get bbs every time.

0 24
 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM
User Info
The Futur is a fantastic razor. I only ever use settings 1 and 2 and get a smooth, comfortable, three pass shave without irritation (I can't imagine ever using the highest settings, the blade gap is huge!). Don't let it's size scare you, you can get below your nose without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,320
 01-31-2017, 10:22 AM
User Info
fairly aggressive for sure.  as a newbie i bought one straight away.  put a recommended feather in it and away I went.  Carnage. now I know without a doubt it was my technique not the razor.  agree with marco totally.  sold it and now have a wonderful Barbaros/Rocnel adjustable. I have also so a BBS-1 and Blackbird for the same reasons.  little too quick to fault them and move on.  really looking for to the blackbird i now have ordered.

76 1,331
 01-31-2017, 08:41 PM
User Info
Futur was the first razor I bought as a newbie and it helped me improve my technique a lot, have the matte version and I think it was good enough to hold, while the weight of razor is perfect.
But now that I am in love with slants and SE, it's about to go on the B/S/T page soon as I know I won't be going back to it.

10 207
 02-01-2017, 01:36 PM
User Info
(01-31-2017, 08:41 PM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote: Futur was the first razor I bought as a newbie and it helped me improve my technique a lot, have the matte version and I think it was good enough to hold, while the weight of razor is perfect.
But now that I am in love with slants and SE, it's about to go on the B/S/T page soon as I know I won't be going back to it.

Interesting.  I have the Merkur slant and I don't use it as much after I got the Futur.

0 204
 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM
User Info
Yeah YMMV, my beard is very hard and have a sensitive skin, so slants and SE really suit me

10 207
 02-07-2017, 07:08 PM
User Info
I've used mine for 2 years and it gives a really smooth irritation free shave. Adjusts easily, just a little hard to see the numbers. Holds the blade firm and most importantly even on both sides. One piece of advice, when you go to take the head off to remove the blade or turn the head to adjust the numbers, use a towel or wash cloth. Easy to slip and really cut yourself. Experience speaks. Like any razor, it takes some experimenting with the angle and blades. When shaving around your nose, you will need to turn the razor to get close. All in all, excellent quality and performance. One design flaw, having to remove the top piece to remove the blade.

6 166
 02-09-2017, 10:55 PM
User Info
(02-07-2017, 07:08 PM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote: I've used mine for 2 years and it gives a really smooth irritation free shave. Adjusts easily, just a little hard to see the numbers. Holds the blade firm and most importantly even on both sides. One piece of advice, when you go to take the head off to remove the blade or turn the head to adjust the numbers, use a towel or wash cloth. Easy to slip and really cut yourself. Experience speaks. Like any razor, it takes some experimenting with the angle and blades. When shaving around your nose, you will need to turn the razor to get close. All in all, excellent quality and performance. One design flaw, having to remove the top piece to remove the blade.

Thank you! I bought it!

4 74
 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM
User Info
The Futur is a nice razor, but the reviews that say the head is large are not lying.  I have a mole under my right-hand nostril that I couldn't get close to with the Futur, or I'd cut it.  I had to walk away from that razor for this reason, but otherwise I loved it.  I was sorry to see if go, but it was either that or the mole and I'm not really up for a medical procedure right now.

Good luck, you're going to love it.  Smile

0 43