01-27-2017, 11:46 AM
User Info
I thought the Asylum Rx Tour would be the last of its kind, but then a new razor hit the market that caught my eye: Colonial Razor's General.  As an all-aluminum razor it is more affordably priced than its stainless steel brethren, and on the spectrum of single edge razors I find it to be one of the mildest, but incredibly efficient.  For those sitting on the sidelines considering dipping their toes into shaving with a modern single edge razor, the General might be a good introduction...and I hope to make that introduction even easier.  If you have interest in trying the razor, please see below.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with the manufacturer, I am simply a SE fanboy.  

General requirements for participation
Active Shave Nook members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM regarding participating in the tour. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around TSN for at least a few months and are participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to TSN I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds...so please feel free to send me a message and I can add you to the "reserve" list. 

Following are the rules that I have used for each of the tours I have hosted, which are simply intended to keep the tour fair, fun and safe. 

1. Please try to limit your time with the gear to 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. There will be exceptions, and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (e.g., vacation, job constraints, travel) please let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. The package will contain a Colonial Razor General, and several packages Feather Artist club blades so you can find which blade works for you.  Each member is invited to use one of each blade, so the package I am sending should allow up to 15 members to try the razor.  If we have more than 15 interested members I will send additional blades onto the road when we reach that point.  

3. I am shipping the razor clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member. Soapy hot water should be fine.  Please do NOT use boiling water, Simple Green or bleach on the razor as it may permanently tarnish the finish on the razor.

4. Carefully wrap and ship the package as your means allow (e.g, USPS, UPS, FedEx). It will be shipping in a small Priority Mail flat rate box. If you ship via Priority Mail $50 insurance is included, which is sufficient for this tour.  Total out of pocket expense to participate will be about $7.   

5. Communicate. Please post in this tour thread when you receive the razor and when it ships.  Upon receipt, please contact the next person on the list in order to have their shipping information on-hand when your time with the razor is over.  Please PM me as needed or if you have questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of the razor and have gone off the grid.  

6. Post reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow TSN members.  

7. Have fun and...go Shave Nook!

Thanks TSN!

Colonial General U.S. Tour
wreck | fish
Rory1262
kbh2o
TONE_Shaves
Chaturvedi.ankit
NickMach007
denardoj2545 
RSP1 
dfoulk
RetroRon
Bullyson
gwsmallwood
TheLegalRazor
<your name goes here>  (Please reach out if you meet the qualifications above and would like to participate.)

[Image: 9c6fdcab2e4d8e0930286e3461eb951b.jpg]
[Image: 67283fcee27982ff8e69415b1319de45.jpg]
[Image: 0ccfeab7132cf1b04f161cfbf47b97a1.jpg]
[Image: d56f66942f7244d1aa993f965ac859fc.jpg]
[Image: f213b8612bd72dd09cc5efad5f96386a.jpg]
[Image: a1c901b264612461ed0d47b2d966a43e.jpg]
[Image: b75bb460f839dd53ebe5387890a2442b.jpg]

61 487
 01-27-2017, 12:09 PM
User Info
Thanks Michael for sponsoring this and your other tours!  Looking forward to it.

17 1,413
 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
These tours are one of the many great perks of being in this community. You're a mensch, Michael! Please sign me up. I can go a couple of notches lower, since my turn on the Asylum RX tour is imminent.

8 915
 01-27-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
Mensch for sure.  Just a heartfelt desire to help wet shavers.  i have never had the patience to wait but have followed the tours through this site.

73 1,296
 01-27-2017, 02:17 PM
User Info
If I didn't already have one of these I would be all over this... Awesome razor... Its great that someone like you does things like this here. Very generous indeed.

3 79
 01-30-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
What a wonderful opportunity to try a very comfortable and close shaving razor.  If you haven't tried the General yet, I highly recommend taking part in this tour.
Kudos to Michael.

eric.

7 150
 01-30-2017, 01:37 PM
User Info
The General has arrived!  Thanks again Michael (poonjaji).  I'll be testing it out this week and will provide updates and pictures as we go. Out of the box it looks great, with a very simple and elegant design.

Rory, looks like you are next on the list, so you'll be demo'ing it just after your run with the Asylum Rx Tour (also hosted by Michael!).  Rory, send me your address by PM so I have it on hand for mailing.

[Image: FqxjhG7.jpg]

17 1,413
 01-31-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
First shave with the General.  Fit and finish are excellent.  Design, particularly of the tapered handle is very nice.  2 pass shave with a Kai Mild and MdC.  Comfortable and reasonably efficient.  I was able to do some buffing without irritation.  I am looking for a little closer shave, though, and will move up to the feather pro or super tomorrow.  No problem with the grip, overall a very comfortable razor to use.

[Image: efm8tln.jpg]

[Image: HLpFfYW.jpg]

[Image: Ry381Ol.jpg]

17 1,413
 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM
User Info
For the second shave with the General I used a Feather Pro Super and added the MR8 handle.  Great shave.  Smooth, efficient and no irritation.  2 passes with I Coloniali and I couldn't be happier.  The Super definitely gives a closer shave for me and I am glad I skipped over the Pro for this test.  The MR8 handle adds nice heft and looks good to boot.  Next test I will move to a handle somewhere in between the MR8 and the stock General handle, maybe the Rockwell 6S handle.

[Image: 2TS159o.jpg]

[Image: xRf4cIW.jpg]

[Image: ciYQDHU.jpg]

17 1,413
 02-02-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
Third shave with the General.  Feather Pro Super and a Rockwell Handle.  Still a comfortable shave, but not as close as yesterdays.  Soap was DRH Arlington, two passes.  The heavier MR8 handle seems to be better for me and the General.  Tomorrow I will do my last test shave before passing it on to the next participant.  The OEM handle will make its way back into testing to see how the stock General and the pro super work for me.

[Image: mA3iMJ9.jpg]

17 1,413
 02-03-2017, 03:56 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
Just got in on this tour - looking forward to comparing the General to my ATT SE1 and Asylum Rx. Thanks Michael!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM
User Info
Prologue:

OK, I am not technically part of the tour but poonjaji is very kind and was nice enough to sell me a Colonial Razor's The General razor head. 

I received the razor on Monday but discovered I was out of Feather Pro's since I had just sold a BNIB Cobra Classic and sent a new pack of razors, which apparently was my entire stock, with that.   Rolleyes

So I ordered a few boxes from a site with 2 day shipping and received the Feather Pro's last night.  I loaded a blade for this morning.

Equipment:

The General w/Dr. Bomber handle
Mongoose
Feather Pro blade
Tabac
Plissoft

Body:

OK, First shave with The General this morning.  I had 4-5 days of growth.  At first I was a little disappointed because this did not seem as close as my Mongoose B1 with the Feather Pro.  I was running late this morning so I did a 2 pass shave with touch up.

I was a little disappointed at the time but now 4 hours in the shave seems pretty darn smooth.  I only have any roughness on two spots on the side of my neck which is one of my trouble spots. 

Even with the heavy Dr. Bomber handle the handling of the razor is smooth and intuitive.  I am going to keep with the Feather Pro for a few days and maybe let the lady try it then I will try it with Feather Super Pro's.

Credits:

First I would like to thank poonjaji for selling me the razor head.  This was very kind and he went out of his way to do it.  Second I would like to thank poonjaji for procuring the razor and sponsoring the tour.  I actually have no idea how many razors he has purchased as it seems many sites have their own tours!  But beyond the experience of people getting to try the razor I believe that the tours add a tremendous value to the SE shaving community.  Through reading the comments from the tours I can get a better feel of the razors and now have a general opinion of many of the Artist Club razors to include their strengths and weaknesses.  I personally feel the tours are an invaluable asset to the community and perhaps will still hold valuable information for many, many years. 

Thank you.

1 161
 02-03-2017, 10:08 AM
User Info
Last shave with the General before it goes off to the next participant.  2 passes with Feather Pro Super and OEM handle.  Another good shave, but not as close as I like for two passes.  In my final analysis, a great razor that works best for me with the Feather Pro Super and MR8 handle.  The heavier handle helps me get to a closer shave.  This last shave was with B&M Cheshire.

My final assessment?  A great razor at a great price.  Very easy to use, very maneuverable.  I think it is illustrative of the great time that we, as traditional wet shavers, are in.  There are lots of good, innovative products coming to the market at all price levels that serve a range of users and preferences.  If I didn't already have an SE that I liked and preferred, I'd be adding this to my den.  It's a solid performer, well designed, that can be tuned with blade and handle to one's preferences.

Thanks again to Michael for hosting this tour!

[Image: DxD7CJJ.jpg]

17 1,413
 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM
User Info
Can you tell us the name of the SE that you have that you say you preferred? Thanks in advance!

Darius

3 40
 02-03-2017, 11:47 AM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 08:55 AM)White Tuna Wrote: Credits:

First I would like to thank poonjaji for selling me the razor head.  This was very kind and he went out of his way to do it.  Second I would like to thank poonjaji for procuring the razor and sponsoring the tour.  I actually have no idea how many razors he has purchased as it seems many sites have their own tours!  But beyond the experience of people getting to try the razor I believe that the tours add a tremendous value to the SE shaving community.  Through reading the comments from the tours I can get a better feel of the razors and now have a general opinion of many of the Artist Club razors to include their strengths and weaknesses.  I personally feel the tours are an invaluable asset to the community and perhaps will still hold valuable information for many, many years. 

Thank you.

+1, thanks to Michael's continuing support of these types of tours.  It's a great benefit to the community!

17 1,413
 02-03-2017, 11:49 AM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 10:29 AM)ROMANOLEO Wrote: Can you tell us the name of the SE that you have that you say you preferred? Thanks in advance!

Darius

A very different price point -- I recently acquired an Asylum Rx and have to say that it is hard to put down, even to try a new razor.  Is the difference in price worth it?  That's a very individual decision for sure.  That being said, the General is no slouch, and given the price point is an exceptional deal.

17 1,413
 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 11:49 AM)wreck | fish Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 10:29 AM)ROMANOLEO Wrote: Can you tell us the name of the SE that you have that you say you preferred? Thanks in advance!

Darius

A very different price point -- I recently acquired an Asylum Rx and have to say that it is hard to put down, even to try a new razor.  Is the difference in price worth it?  That's a very individual decision for sure.  That being said, the General is no slouch, and given the price point is an exceptional deal.

Wow very interesting! The General is the only SE I have ever used and I also think Its a great razor and great deal. Thanks for the info. & input,  much appreciated!

Darius

3 40
 02-05-2017, 03:15 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
I'm eager to get this one in hand. I have an Asylum Rx and an ATT SE1 so I'm really curious how The General will compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
User Info
The general is heading to Rory tomorrow via USPS. Looking forward to more reports from the road!

17 1,413
 02-06-2017, 05:12 AM
User Info
Hello,

I am not technically part of the tour but I just purchased a General razor head from poonjaji and am posting my impressions in this thread.  I hope this information is useful but if someone feels it does not belong here just post here or PM me and we can work it out.

I have had 3 shaves with the General Razor.  Even though I am very eager to try the razor all three shaves have been rushed which is unfortunate.  The first was very efficient but left some rough areas around my neck.  No weepers and not irritation, very smooth mechanically and non threatening.  The second was similar but left more roughness behind.  To be fair this was a very rushed shave on Saturday morning as I was working to catch a train.

This post is about the third shave, which I had this morning.

Equipment:

The General w/Mongoose Dr. Bomber handle
Feather Pro blade
PannaCrema San Francesco
Plissoft

Despite being rushed this morning I got a MUCH better shave than the previous two.

The first two shaves I did not think about and just rushed into them without thought.    Since I was not the happiest with the closeness of these shaves I assessed that the problem may be with me.  This morning I took a very shallow angle and even though I lapsed a few times I paid more attention to my technique.   Doing this I was rewarded with a much closer shave, but I also gave myself a few weepers.  This is OK as now I know that I can resolve this.  I am very confident in the razor and look forward to improving my technique.  I believe the technique I was using was more similar to a cartridge and was simple, easy and efficient but not the closest in all areas.

Good luck.

1 161