08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Gents, may I ask a very basic question: if I were looking to start straight razor shaving, how would I make sure that my razor is properly sharpened. Is honing something that I could pick up? Are there honing services to get the razor into shape initially (I'm based in the UK)? What kit do I (reasonably) need to get underway?

Any advice gratefully received.

1 290
 08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
User Info
You buy a shave ready razor.

Here's a guide I recently wrote about buying your first straight.

Honing is something you can pick up. It's not for everyone. Kind of like making your own furniture or other hand craft. Not terribly difficult, but does involve tools.

I'd suggest an inexpensive shave ready straight razor, try it a couple of times, if you like it buy a strop. That's all you need if you don't do your own sharpening. A second "nice" straight razor is recommended after that. Unnecessary, but recommended.

9 2,988
 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
Great info on the link!
Good luck to you, Persius. i am almost positive that you have a few gents across the pond who could easily accommodate your needs to begin with a straight. Good luck and take it very, very slowly.

75 20,883
 08-18-2012, 12:15 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(08-17-2012, 01:25 PM)celestino Wrote: Great info on the link!
Good luck to you, Persius. i am almost positive that you have a few gents across the pond who could easily accommodate your needs to begin with a straight. Good luck and take it very, very slowly.
One cheek at a time for now!

1 290