01-29-2017, 01:04 PM
User Info
I recently purchased an Hone Type 15 (brass) razor. My go to daily shaver is a Timeless Razors scalloped base in .68 and it is phenomenal. I have used the Hone Type 15 several times and I just can't get the razor to "glide" over my face. I know this sucker is heavy but no matter how good my pre-shave prep is, the razor seems to want to "skip" across my face (I hope this makes sense). Now I do end up with a very close shave, even had a BBS on one occasion where I decided to spend more time with it and I am not getting skin irritation, just aggravation (LOL) but I am not sure I am going to end up keeping this thing.

Anyone else out there with a Hone Type 15 razor have any issues? Any suggestions on proper usage (I have adjusted the blade angle to no avail)? This is a beautiful razor and I hate to kick it to the curb but it is sapping the enjoyment out of my daily routine although I want to get the learning curve taken care of too. Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

9 134
 01-31-2017, 05:54 AM
User Info
I just received my Hone 15 all brass razor yesterday and shaved with it this morning. It is quite a sight to behold!  I, too, noticed it tends to have some inertia against the skin--I wouldn't say it skipped spots but I had to force it a bit especially against the grain.  The weight of the razor makes going downhill really easy though.  I did get a great shave with it but I had to do extra buffing due to the razor gripping against the skin a bit.  This, despite using an underlayer of glycerine soap to lubricate the skin as well as using Proraso pre-shave cream after washing my face and neck.  If anyone has any suggestions to make this razor glide more it would be great. I used a Stirling soap and added water to make sure the soap wasn't too thick.  I'm not a fan of shaving or preshaving oils so that's not what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

1 87
 01-31-2017, 06:52 AM
User Info
I have the 15a, and it doesn't drag.  Shaves smoothly.  

Which would make one wonder if it's the brass that's causing the drag.  Arguing against that is that I have an iKon SBS that is brass, and it doesn't drag at all.  So I guess I can't really make sense of the problem.  

Are you using a shallow angle?  The baseplate on this razor is bulky!  Maybe that's what's creating the sensation of drag?

2 1,462
 01-31-2017, 07:18 AM
User Info
(01-31-2017, 06:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I have the 15a, and it doesn't drag.  Shaves smoothly.  

Which would make one wonder if it's the brass that's causing the drag.  Arguing against that is that I have an iKon SBS that is brass, and it doesn't drag at all.  So I guess I can't really make sense of the problem.  

Are you using a shallow angle?  The baseplate on this razor is bulky!  Maybe that's what's creating the sensation of drag?

The manufacturer recommends a 30 degree angle. My shaving angle varies as to what is cutting the best depending on the direction, but I tend towards steeper angles in general.  I feel that the brass finish is a matte type finish that provides a good grip to the handle but makes the rest of the razor drag due to the lack of polished finish if that makes sense.  The matte finish is "grippy".

1 87
 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
I too believe the grippy feeling may be the result of the matte finish on the cap but not quite sure yet. I used Proraso Cream from the tube this morning for my shave instead of Mike's or Soap Commander and got a much better shave from my Hone.

I am NOT going to abandon this razor as I get great shaves. I just need to dial it in. I emailed Andrew yesterday and hope he responds soon. I would like his opinion on my perceived issue being that he designed it.

9 134
 02-01-2017, 07:53 AM
User Info
(01-31-2017, 11:28 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I too believe the grippy feeling may be the result of the matte finish on the cap but not quite sure yet. I used Proraso Cream from the tube this morning for my shave instead of Mike's or Soap Commander and got a much better shave from my Hone.

I am NOT going to abandon this razor as I get great shaves. I just need to dial it in. I emailed Andrew yesterday and hope he responds soon. I would like his opinion on my perceived issue being that he designed it.

I will try using it with other creams/soaps as well.   Please let us know if you hear a response from Andrew.  Thanks!

1 87
 02-01-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 07:53 AM)kenloupa Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 11:28 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I too believe the grippy feeling may be the result of the matte finish on the cap but not quite sure yet. I used Proraso Cream from the tube this morning for my shave instead of Mike's or Soap Commander and got a much better shave from my Hone.

I will try using it with other creams/soaps as well.   Please let us know if you hear a response from Andrew.  Thanks!

I am still waiting for a response from Andrew. This is actually my second email that has gone unanswered from him but I will keep trying. I am using his contact/fill in form from his website so maybe that is the issue.

9 134
 02-05-2017, 06:27 AM
User Info
The Hone 15 I used to have had negative blade exposure. For me to just get a decent shave required me to apply pressure which would also cause drag.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 171
 02-05-2017, 06:50 AM
User Info
Andrew replied saying it was quite possible the finish on the head could be causing the drag. He did offer to take my razor back but it just looks too nice to do that. The shave is not uncomfortable just different than I am used to. I need to spend more time with it.

9 134