02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
There are still many cosmetic products that contain these ingredients.

Are they really bad for our health? I mean, if they cause harm, then why large companies continue to use them?

For example, I haven't found any established scientific data on whether long-term use of Tetrasodium EDTA may hurt us.

Allergic reactions can be caused almost from anything. The percentage of people that are allergic to almond or nuts is a lot higher comparing it to the percentage of those that are allergic to these ingredients. It seems that natural ingredients can cause more harm that these.

I've never had a single problem using products with these ingredients. To be honest, I still have some and use them almost daily. And I'm not talking only about shaving products, but cosmetic products in general.

If you ask me, without having any expertise on this subject, I'd say that the percentage of these ingredients is very small and I highly doubt they will cause problems to anyone. Also, they prevent unpleasant situations, like a product turning bad in a short period. Most artisan products don't contain them, I believe it's one of the main reasons why they turn in much less time than other products.

I'd say parabens and EDTA is the least that must concern us about our daily habits. Just an opinion.

49 1,940
 02-01-2017, 11:44 AM
User Info
Keep in mind that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" (DDT was considered just the thing to spray your house with a few decades ago) - just because there is no established data don't mean there wont be in the future.

That said; I do not worry about parabens personally, but often a paraben-free product will be just as good. Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (Tetrasodium EDTA) isn't even on my radar...

3 4,374
 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM
User Info
I second Hans' point og view that just because you cant prove that its harmful doesnt make it safe.
My biggest reason for avoiding parabens is because of the "possible" link they have to cancer (not so worried about allergies..).
I'll put it like this.
My father is a doctor, and eventhough he also says, that nothing has been proven, he avoids parabens when possible, and so does all the other doctors he knows.
It is also proven that parabens will be absorber and stored in your body after use.
The more you use them, the higher levels you will have in your body..

For me half of this "wet shaving" thing is about whats good for my skin.
And I feel that paraben-free products should atleast be a minimum requirement for products marketed as "Luxury products"

Atleast in my opinion..

1 112
 02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
User Info
Tetrasodium EDTA (as well as disodium EDTA) are chelating agents. As far as I know there are no adverse effects (or, at least, not in the concentration that will be found in external use cosmetics).

I believe that some people take them as supplements to remove heavy metals from the body, though I'm not sure if this has been proven to actually work.

0 5
 02-01-2017, 12:36 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 12:31 PM)landlgrooming Wrote: Tetrasodium EDTA (as well as disodium EDTA) are chelating agents. As far as I know there are no adverse effects (or, at least, not in the concentration that will be found in external use cosmetics).

I believe that some people take them as supplements to remove heavy metals from the body, though I'm not sure if this has been proven to actually work.

I agree that the levels normally contained in consumer products is not really harmful, but I do think that when they are stored in your body, you can eventually reach "potentially" harmful levels..

1 112
 02-01-2017, 01:04 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 12:10 PM)tyson81 Wrote: I second Hans' point og view that just because you cant prove that its harmful doesnt make it safe.
My biggest reason for avoiding parabens is because of the "possible" link they have to cancer (not so worried about allergies..).
I'll put it like this.
My father is a doctor, and eventhough he also says, that nothing has been proven, he avoids parabens when possible, and so does all the other doctors he knows.
It is also proven that parabens will be absorber and stored in your body after use.
The more you use them, the higher levels you will have in your body..

For me half of this "wet shaving" thing is about whats good for my skin.
And I feel that paraben-free products should atleast be a minimum requirement for products marketed as "Luxury products"

Atleast in my opinion..

Read this post and said to myself:
"Yep, me too." Fully agree on all points.

30 264
 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM
User Info
I do try to avoid parabenes, too, for the reasons mentioned above.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 76
 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM
User Info
I'm not aware of any conclusive, legitimate research on the possible health effects of parabens.  However, there is enough of a concern that many manufacturers are removing them from their products.  Parabens are essentially used as preservatives, and cosmetic products do well without them.  Since I don't see a benefit to them, and they may have adverse health consequences, I avoid them.

48 5,727
 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM
  • Beau
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I generally avoid products containing parabens too. However, I use and like very much Myrsol Emulsion, which does contain methylparaben.

0 312
 02-01-2017, 08:27 PM
User Info
I have a bad reaction to EDTA, so I avoid it all cost. Not only do you find it in many external products, but now they are putting it in salad dressings and mayonnaise. It's crazy they're putting it so much.  Angry

0 596
 02-02-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
I avoid parabens but have no problem with EDTA.  One caveat:  through extensive reading I discovered that EDTA probably leads to more absorption of other things that are in the product.  So if the product contains other substances that you don't want to absorb, EDTA could potentially be considered a bad thing.  

As an additive to an other perfectly formulated shave soap, though, I find that it just makes it easier to lather.

2 1,394
 02-02-2017, 04:55 PM
User Info
As an owner of a soap company, I can honestly say that these ingredients are unnecessary.  Both chemicals are preservatives for cream/liquid soaps.  Many essential oils are actually highly effective antimicrobials as well eliminating the need for these products.  I stay away from them and other products with detergents/chemicals because they tend to inflame my skin.  However, if it is on the shelf for a year or more it can't hurt to be too careful…

0 135
 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
Same here. I avoid if I can. I read the ingredients and if a product has these, it's a minus point for me.

10 1,141
 02-05-2017, 10:35 AM
User Info
I find it interesting that although phenoxyethanol (commonly used in shave creams) is sometimes touted as a natural alternative to parabens (because, for example, it occurs in green tea), in reality it's commercially synthesized from petroleum-sourced phenol.
N.B.: petroleum-based substances have estrogenic effects (as do parabens) according to Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.

That said, studies haven’t found a direct link between parabens (or phenoxyethanol) and cancer.

0 427
 02-05-2017, 11:57 AM
User Info
This may sound over simplified; I choose soaps that have short, and identifiable list of ingredients. Keeps my face happy. Cool

0 596
 02-05-2017, 12:46 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I like choose products with more natural ingredients but I think that preservatives are important. Shaving soaps and creams are used around water which can harbor bacteria that can cause skin infections like MRSA. I suppose shaving with bacteria laden lather can be more of an immediate health concern than the cumulative effect of a preservative of the course of ones lifetime. I don't do a ton of research on ingredients but try to listen to general consensus on safety.

2 517
 02-05-2017, 02:28 PM
User Info
My approach to all products in life , I won't use long ingredient list products with anything that's unnatural or heavily processed.

60 1,410
 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(02-05-2017, 12:46 PM)vuk Wrote: I like choose products with more natural ingredients but I think that preservatives are important. Shaving soaps and creams are used around water which can harbor bacteria that can cause skin infections like MRSA. I suppose shaving with bacteria laden lather can be more of an immediate health concern than the cumulative effect of a preservative of the course of ones lifetime. I don't do a ton of research on ingredients but try to listen to general consensus on safety.

Never share personal items. Period. MRSA is a contact thing, skin to skin, razors, soaps, towels, ect. Preservatives will not eliminate the risk of spreading staph type infections.

59 4,389