02-01-2017, 06:02 PM
User Info
Hello,
i am new to this forum..
I would like some suggestions for my next razor:
I am very interested into "Above The Tie" and especially the Atlas M2,
Can anyone tell me how is this razor compared to the Muhle R89 ?
I have already the R89 which although is a good razor i cannot get a very close shave with it, 
i am hoping the M2 is more efficient/aggressive than that.
Anyone have used both razor?
I also have a Muhle R41 which is excellent but just too aggressive for the everyday use..

Best,
italian-class

0 45
 02-01-2017, 06:31 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Not really an answer to your question but a Rockwell razor 6s might be worth a shot. I wish att made a razor in between the m & r plates personally

118 1,708
 02-01-2017, 06:50 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 06:31 PM)Triad Wrote: Not really an answer to your question but a Rockwell razor 6s might be worth a shot. I wish att made a razor in between the m & r plates personally

I have to be honest, i don't know this razor at all.. looks like is a closed comb.. (only 7-8 months into wet shaving..)
I heard very good things about ATT so i think i will have to give it a try, especially with the 30 days policy.
I'll keep an eye on the rockwell too.

0 45
 02-01-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I started with an ATT M1, then R1, then H1, and even an H2 for a time. I found the M1 too mild for my coarse beard - but a nice head. ATT sells returns used, so it's not too bad if you want to run with multiple heads for a time.

26 986
 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 07:09 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I started with an ATT M1, then R1, then H1, and even an H2 for a time. I found the M1 too mild for my coarse beard - but a nice head. ATT sells returns used, so it's not too bad if you want to run with multiple heads for a time.

Thanks for the reply!
I got a coarse beard too! That's why i would go with M2 (the open comb) ..
I got the R41 as my aggressive razor, i just want to make sure i don't get something similar to the R89...

0 45
 02-01-2017, 07:47 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
My suggestion would be to try the ATT Calipso R1 or a BlackBird.

111 1,411
 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 07:47 PM)ARGH Wrote: My suggestion would be to try the ATT Calipso R1 or a BlackBird.

Are you saying the Calypso R acts less aggressive the the SS version Of the R1? I could see that because it is lighter I just would like to know if it is a big enough difference? I found the R1 very effecient. Just a bit to much blade fell for me. I shave real early and fast. Often times this led to razor burn using the R1. I am currently shopping for a new razor.

12 245
 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I think you're on the right track with a M2. I find it a tad more aggressive than a Muhle R89. The R2 I found too aggressive.

On the ATT website there is a chart comparing thier razor heads to other razors. Of course this doesn't take into account blade exposure , but it's a start. You could also email Stan and get his recommendation. His customer service is top notch. Who else lets you exchange a razor??

72 1,225
 02-02-2017, 02:19 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(02-01-2017, 06:31 PM)Triad Wrote: Not really an answer to your question but a Rockwell razor 6s might be worth a shot. I wish att made a razor in between the m & r plates personally

It's my understanding that the S heads were meant to be in between the M and R heads.

72 1,225
 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
(02-02-2017, 02:09 PM)Gabe Wrote: I think you're on the right track with a M2. I find it a tad more aggressive than a Muhle R89. The R2 I found too aggressive.

On the ATT website there is a chart comparing thier razor heads to other razors. Of course this doesn't take into account blade exposure , but it's a start. You could also email Stan and get his recommendation. His customer service is top notch. Who else lets you exchange a razor??

(02-02-2017, 02:19 PM)Gabe Wrote:

It's my understanding that the S heads were meant to be in between the M and R heads.

Thanks, that is great information.

12 245
 02-02-2017, 03:22 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(02-02-2017, 02:01 PM)Sevenbark Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 07:47 PM)ARGH Wrote: My suggestion would be to try the ATT Calipso R1 or a BlackBird.

Are you saying the Calypso R acts less aggressive the the SS version Of the R1? I could see that because it is lighter I just would like to know if it is a big enough difference? I found the R1 very effecient. Just a bit to much blade fell for me. I shave real early and fast. Often times this led to razor burn using the R1. I am currently shopping for a new razor.

I would not say that the SS R1 is much different from the Calypso R1. I also sometimes have to shave quickly and that is where my BlackBirds are absolutely unsurpassed.

111 1,411
 02-02-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
(02-02-2017, 02:09 PM)Gabe Wrote: I think you're on the right track with a M2. I find it a tad more aggressive than a Muhle R89. The R2 I found too aggressive.

Many thanks for your feedbacks!
I actually ordered the M2 with ATLAS handle yesterday, i might eventually change or add the R2 later on..
I sent some emails but never got any answer back, the website still says "UNFULFILLED".
Are they usually reliable as for delivery time?
I cannot get an answer from the email, maybe i there is a specific email for Stan?
I was hoping to get it for the week-end...

0 45
 02-02-2017, 07:16 PM
User Info
Thanks everybody for the feedbacks!
I have ordered the ATLAS M2.
Hope they are reliable, i sent a few messages and never got any answer.. still not shipped..
Cannot wait to try it!  Biggrin 
I'll review it after a few shaves as i think there are not so many clear reviews on the att m2..

0 45
 02-03-2017, 04:40 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think you will like it. As with any new razor, it takes a few shaves to get it dialed in. It's noticeably heavier than zamack razors, so you'll probably need to pay more attention to pressure if this is your first stainless steel razor.

3 536
 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(02-02-2017, 06:42 PM)italian-class Wrote:

I actually ordered the M2 with ATLAS handle yesterday, i might eventually change or add the R2 later on..
I sent some emails but never got any answer back, the website still says "UNFULFILLED".
I cannot get an answer from the email, maybe i there is a specific email for Stan?

I don't think you will be disappointed. There is a big jump from M to R plates. Like mentioned above, I wish they made a razor in between that wasn't a slant. If I had to pick between the two, I would go (actually went) with M2. Comfortable enough for everyday use.

72 1,225
 02-03-2017, 08:25 PM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 09:59 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 06:42 PM)italian-class Wrote:

I don't think you will be disappointed. There is a big jump from M to R plates. Like mentioned above, I wish they made a razor in between that wasn't a slant. If I had to pick between the two, I would go (actually went) with M2. Comfortable enough for everyday use.

Yes, i am pretty sure is good to have the M2.
Looks like has been shipped today and i cannot wait to try it!
Eventually i might buy also the R2 later on.. but as for the everyday razor i need something that allow me to shave fairly quick.

0 45
 02-03-2017, 10:10 PM
User Info
Keep in mind that you're going from aggressive razor to a fairly mild one... so you may want to try a few different blade choices in the m2 as well. You can probably get great shaves with the M2 and a sharp blade like a GSB.

26 986
 02-04-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 10:10 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Keep in mind that you're going from aggressive razor to a fairly mild one... so you may want to try a few different blade choices in the m2 as well. You can probably get great shaves with the M2 and a sharp blade like a GSB.

After trying few different blades now i only use feather, having a thick beard they seem the ones that work better.

0 45
 02-07-2017, 07:43 PM
User Info
[Image: SMyHPPJ.jpg][Image: zRVI5Oi.jpg]
ATT ATLAS "M2" ARRIVED TODAY .... Biggrin

0 45