02-01-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
I noticed that in my Mule and EJ (same head) Astra is one of my favorites but it doesn't work great in my New LC. Some blades work in both though

6 677
 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I like derby's in my DE but i cant stand them in my shavette. I love the astra ss in the shavette, but they are soso in the DE. So YMMV and all that.?

0 356
 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM
User Info
Only my mild razors vs my more aggressive razors.  Feathers work well in my DE89, NEW, 37c, Black Beauty, and somewhat so in my NEW Deluxe.  I like Permasharps and Astras in everything else (R41, Fatip, OLD, Wide Open Adjustables)

1 296
 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
Only Feather blades in the AS-D2, but I don't like them in my ATT S-1.  Prefer Astra SP in the ATT.

0 167
 02-02-2017, 12:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Common wisdom says I'm supposed to feel a difference, but tbh, I usually don't feel much difference. Some, not much. IPs, Med Preps, GSBs, and Crystals (my top 4) essentially feel the same in all razors. The only blades that feel razor-dependent-different are Lab Blues. These are most tuggy in my Red Tips, less so in iKon 101, Techs and Merkurs, and downright, smooth and comfortable in the iKon slant.

4 1,902
 02-02-2017, 01:25 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-02-2017, 08:08 AM)Red One Wrote: Only Feather blades in the AS-D2, but I don't like them in my ATT S-1. 

The baseplate of the ATT S1 appears to droop down and away from the underside of the blade.  One of the causes of nicks and irritation during a DE shave is the action of a blade that springs back after having been bent away from its original configuration.  Feathers are thin blades, and tend to bend more readily from friction of the edge against the whiskers than some thicker blades do, so Feathers need more baseplate side support to minimize deformation.   The AS-D2 was designed to give maximum underside support to the blade through its entire width, which is why one sometimes sees a review of the AS-D2 that says that it “tamed” Feather blades that the user previously had disliked.  

0 1,048
 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
(02-02-2017, 01:25 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 08:08 AM)Red One Wrote: Only Feather blades in the AS-D2, but I don't like them in my ATT S-1. 

The baseplate of the ATT S1 appears to droop down and away from the underside of the blade.  One of the causes of nicks and irritation during a DE shave is the action of a blade that springs back after having been bent away from its original configuration.  Feathers are thin blades, and tend to bend more readily from friction of the edge against the whiskers than some thicker blades do, so Feathers need more baseplate side support to minimize deformation.   The AS-D2 was designed to give maximum underside support to the blade through its entire width, which is why one sometimes sees a review of the AS-D2 that says that it “tamed” Feather blades that the user previously had disliked.  

Excellent explanation! Thanks for your insight!

0 167
 02-03-2017, 02:06 PM
User Info
I tend to stick to my 2 favorite brands, if the razor doesn't work well with them, I tend to not use that razor as much.

10 1,128
 02-04-2017, 08:26 AM
User Info
My preferred DE blades are GSB, Polsilver SI and Astra.  I use them in each and any of my razors and don't use specific razor/blade combinations.  I did experiment at one point with combining sharper blades with milder razors and vice versa but didn't find enough of a difference for me to go through the effort.

13 1,158
 02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
User Info
(02-02-2017, 01:25 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

Great explanation. Thanks!

13 1,158
 02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
My favourite blade is Polsilver Super Iridium.
In most razors this is my top performing blade, but in some razors I do prefer a different blade. F.ex. I like israelis (Personna Reds..) in my Pils (closely followed by Pols.S.I.)
Depending on the razor, yes I do sometimes choose another blade then I normally use.

1 112