02-02-2017, 12:48 PM
User Info
Last night I looked into my razors that I don't use much and pulled out a Knack and loaded it up with a fresh Polsilver SI for this morning's shave. 

Wow.  I had forgotten what a great shaver this cheap-looking thing is!  Not too aggressive, not too mild; not too heavy and not too light; not too much blade feel but not too little; not too noisy but not too quiet.  Incredibly nimble.  Good first pass reduction.  Extremely EASY to shave with, and fast.  Intuitive shave angle that is easy to maintain. 

If I had purchased a modern razor and it shaved this well on its first shave I would be all over the forums telling everybody to buy it at once.  

This razor is perhaps aesthetically challenged, but it is one of the best shaving razors I own!  I assume the Slim Twist is a similarly good shave.  If you have one of these and haven't used it for a while, fire it up and tell me what you think.  You will likely be pleasantly surprised.

2 1,460
 02-02-2017, 01:08 PM
User Info
I didn't know anything about this model! So I Googled it.
I kind of like that long tapered handle, although apparently the Knack has a rep for being not as well made as its predecessors.
I don't feel compelled to own one but enjoyed hearing and learning about it.

8 916
 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM
User Info
If I recall correctly, they're not hard to find, nor are they expensive.  I've been tempted.

0 1,071
 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM
User Info
Another great shave with it this morning. 

The strange thing is that:  1) I generally don't like razors with long handles, 2) I definitely prefer fat handles to skinny ones, and 3) I've never been a big fan of TTO heads.  So, in theory, I should dislike this razor.  But it's just amazing.  

The TTO head is not really like that of a Superspeed; it's more like the head of a Superadjustable.  The profile of it is much thinner than the Superspeeds, which makes it easier to maneuver and to use in tight spaces.  

I've heard that Gillette had a lot of QC issues with this particular razor, so it may be that the reason I like it so much and others pan it is that I got a good one?  Or I got one that just happened to have the perfect aggressiveness for the way I shave?  Makes me wonder.......if I had 5 of these, would this one rise to the top?  If I had tried a different one first, would I have concluded that the Knack wasn't for me?

2 1,460
 02-03-2017, 10:09 AM
User Info
[Image: 651658fdcce415a8d31e60073432326d.jpg]

This one. I guess I have one with Black handle as well. Will try it next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 260
 02-03-2017, 12:58 PM
User Info
That one is a Slim Twist, which is very similar to the Knack.  As I understand it, the Knack was the U.S. version and the Slim Twist was the British version.  The Slim Twist has a shorter handle and its shape is different.  I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the head is very similar, if not exactly the same.

2 1,460
 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
User Info
I have a Knack and I agree, it's a very nice shave. One of my favorite vintage TTO's.

HERM

1 66
 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM
User Info
Interesting. My favorite vintage is probably the Red Tip. I'll be sure to try this if I see one at a good price.

11 1,169
 02-04-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
These are great razors. Unsung like the Krona.

I'll use mine today! Thanks for reminding me how great the Knack is.

20 371
 02-04-2017, 09:35 AM
User Info
I love the Knack. Gillette's marketing has created confusion on many razors including this one. I seen a slim twist in a blister pack calling it a Knack. Pretty bad when the manufacture gets it wrong. Love to shave with a feather in this one.
[Image: HcRSyba.jpg]

13 246
 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
Ok...pulled the Knack out this opening and loaded it with a fresh Kai.

Kai blades, like Feathers, can be rough when fresh but get smoother as you use them. This was the case for me.

Lavanille and my Semogue 1250 have me a 3 pass BBS experience. Clipped myself once due to my sloppiness.

Can't wait for the next shave with the Knack.

20 371
 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
Awesome.  I used it again this morning after one shave with an Old Type.  I got a fine shave with the Old Type but the Knack was so much quicker and easier.  The weight distribution is just perfect for me.  The amount of aggression is, again, for me, perfect.  

First pass reduction was good.  Two passes plus minor touch-up was DFS.  

I'm glad some others enjoy it, too.

2 1,460