02-02-2017, 07:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: 4ec18df1954317d28e8faaca843ea5f1.jpg]

I am a fan of Wet Shaving Products , I dont have any problems admitting it.They have been delivering excellent shaving brushes since 2012 , as well as shaving soaps.First with the Rustic version , a veggie based soap inspired by the arch famous Martin de Candre , and not too long ago introducing the Formula T , tallow based shaving soaps.

This soap is a Formula T made for Asylum Shave Works and its scent , I must say , have made me fall in love with it after my first sniff.

A few week ago I used the WSP formula T Mahogany , Tobacco and Sandalwood with great results.Those scents are more suited for cold weather , and let me tell you , the Mahogany scent was also love at first sniff , so I knew how good are these Formula T shaving soaps.

Lets first take a look to its ingredient list , as its written on its sticker :

[Image: b9c71802f0939d0e0e48f4cce1b8c29c.jpg]

So we can read only few ingredients , with tallow , Shea Butter (an extra dry skin like mine truly appreciates it) and few others like stearic acid and coconut oil.

The consistency of this soap is between a hard soap and a "morbido" italian type of shaving soap.I wouldnt call it a "croap" since this is a little bit harder than those ones.And it last.I didnt need to use too much product or load the brush for over 10/15 seconds , unlike other shaving soaps , which require more product.

And how does it performs ?

Well , thats another great quality of this soap and let me show you its lather first.

Using a shavemac silvertip two band brush , I only load it for 10 to 15 seconds , and you already can see how much lather have made in such a short time :

[Image: 436a897e2cd0756ed12241d2dc158483.jpg]

And after one minute building up the lather (I didnt add more water , this brush holds enough water to bring me such deal) this is the lather I can make :

[Image: 55edabf793407fa5828319ddf107ed0f.jpg]

[Image: eb4d48ccfdcfa2882e255f7aa8384097.jpg]

So we all can see creamy , thick lather with no much effort to build.

Its skin care properties are there.Mind that I have an extra dry skin , and I need to used a pre shave oil , unless Im testing a soap or cream , as I have been doing with these.Well , my skin feels good with this Asylum Shave Works soap.I think is because it contains more Shea Butter than the normal Formula T , but I (well , my skin ) notice that difference after shaving.I truly appreciate that.Dont like to finish my shave and have an even more dry skin.It doesnt happens with this soap.

Its slickness is there , has cushion and takes care of the skin.What else can I ask more ?

Well , a great scent.And this one has it.The opening notes are fresh , herbaceous and slightly fruity which develop into a more deep and spicier notes , giving it a manly presence.Its not a strong scent , but you can smell it right away as soon as you open the lid , and also last during the shave.
I would say its more suited for warmer weather , but boy , its been love at first sight.Fresh , elegant , manly scent.Perfect on my book.

For 14.99 dollars (4oz tin , which are 125 grams) , I find this soap extremely well balanced between a fresh , refined  manly scent and a good skin care performance.Excellent choice and glad I got it.Well done WSP and ASW !

88 7,214
 02-02-2017, 08:03 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review, Teiste.
Agreed.
It's a lovely soap.

102 18,647
 02-02-2017, 08:03 PM
User Info
Great review, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 02-02-2017, 08:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am glad that you like it Teiste. Thank you for taking the time to review it.

46 18,308
 02-02-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
How close is the scent to Terre d'hermes? (Or fine l'orange noir?) I'm always looking for another great orange scent.

27 1,077
 02-03-2017, 04:42 AM
User Info
(02-02-2017, 08:45 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: How close is the scent to Terre d'hermes? (Or fine l'orange noir?) I'm always looking for another great orange scent.

Pretty far off to me.  Terre d'Hermes is fairly complex and balances that leathery note with the orange/grapefruit note and a whole bunch in between.  I love Terre d'Hermes, but this soap is much simpler and incorporates pepper and bitter floral/citrus.

If you've smelled the single notes, this one is a relatively strong opening note of black pepper with the neroli kicking in as it opens up and during dry-down.  The black pepper is strong enough to actually give a cooling sensation on the skin (mine is pretty sensitive, though.)  I don't really get other notes in there, but the two work together really well.

I'm a neroli junkie and love that smell, so I wish the floral/citrus note was a bit heavier, but the note they use is spot on - so either an excellent fragrance oil or a real essential oil (insanely expensive, so I'm not sure.)

16 249
 02-03-2017, 04:54 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Well reviewed Teiste Thumbsup

A great product experience for me as well!

59 4,486
 02-03-2017, 07:46 AM
User Info
Nice.

Very interesting.

9 1,407
 02-03-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
Nice review thanks.

3 920
 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM
User Info
Looks like a nice soap, and I'm a neroli junkie.  I may have to acquire this stuff.  

Thanks for the review.

2 1,448
 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 04:42 AM)explodyii Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 08:45 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: How close is the scent to Terre d'hermes? (Or fine l'orange noir?) I'm always looking for another great orange scent.

Pretty far off to me.  Terre d'Hermes is fairly complex and balances that leathery note with the orange/grapefruit note and a whole bunch in between.  I love Terre d'Hermes, but this soap is much simpler and incorporates pepper and bitter floral/citrus.

If you've smelled the single notes, this one is a relatively strong opening note of black pepper with the neroli kicking in as it opens up and during dry-down.  The black pepper is strong enough to actually give a cooling sensation on the skin (mine is pretty sensitive, though.)  I don't really get other notes in there, but the two work together really well.

I'm a neroli junkie and love that smell, so I wish the floral/citrus note was a bit heavier, but the note they use is spot on - so either an excellent fragrance oil or a real essential oil (insanely expensive, so I'm not sure.)

Thanks! Great info!

27 1,077
 02-03-2017, 01:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, good to see you posting again.

178 23,806
 02-03-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
I like the Formula T soap base, so I was looking forward to the release of the Asylum versions.  I ordered the Frankincense & Myrrh, so I can't comment on the scent of the Neroli & Black Pepper.  However, I agree with your assessment of the performance components of this soap.  It scores high on all the usual performance categories.  This is an excellent collaboration for Asylum.

50 6,049
 02-04-2017, 04:57 AM
User Info
I too am a Neroli junkie. You guys enabled my SSAD.

36 892
 02-04-2017, 12:07 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
These soaps kicked off this month's AD binge…

ASW Neroli & Black Pepper
ASW Frankincense & Myrrh

CRSW Oliva Honeywood
CRSW Oliva Citrus Paradisi

CRSW Original 100% Vegetal Citrus
CRSW Original 100% Vegetal Barcelona

Kiehl's White Eagle in tube 
Kiehl's Blue Eagle in tube (same as above, minus the camphor and menthol, so for "sensitive skin")

Santa Maria Novella v3 Crema da barba

Semogue Owners Club Shaving Brush (Cherry wood handle)

Gillette Superspeed C-1 (1957)
Gillette Superspeed NDC (1948-50) with 24k gold plate refinish

and a couple bath soaps:
Geo F Trumper Wild Fern bath soap
Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia bath soap

59 2,802
 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you , gentlemen.

The more I smell this soap , the more in love I am with it.

Brilliant stuff.

88 7,214
 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Mine arrived today and I had to use one immediately. I went for the Frankincense & Myrrh.
The scent is not far off of Penhaligon's Endymion, so if you like that you won't be disappointed. I think I enjoy this soap better because it smells more natural than the Pen's cream, to be perfectly honest. The scent level is perfect too (middle strength), whereas I find the Pen's cream overbearing and tiring.
My skin felt totally protected and comfortable during the shave and the slickness is very nice. Now an hour after the shave, my skin feels soft and comfortable, probably due to the shea.
I wouldn't change or add anything.
Excellent work by all involved!

I'm excited to try my Neroli & Black Pepper Smile

59 2,802
 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
(02-06-2017, 04:49 PM)Nero Wrote: Mine arrived today and I had to use one immediately. I went for the Frankincense & Myrrh.
The scent is not far off of Penhaligon's Endymion, so if you like that you won't be disappointed. I think I enjoy this soap better because it smells more natural than the Pen's cream, to be perfectly honest. The scent level is perfect too (middle strength), whereas I find the Pen's cream overbearing and tiring.
My skin felt totally protected and comfortable during the shave and the slickness is very nice. Now an hour after the shave, my skin feels soft and comfortable, probably due to the shea.

Matt, I agree with your assessment of the performance of the Frankincense & Myrrh.  I would characterize the scent strength as more on the subtle side instead of "middle strength," but that's entirely subjective.   The Formula T soap base is excellent and this particular scent is lovely.  Overall, I think Asylum has a winner here.

50 6,049
 02-06-2017, 07:55 PM
User Info
I'm a WSP tallow junkie for sure, I love that stuff. I'm going to have to pick these up. SAD is kicking in again... :|

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 43
 02-06-2017, 08:32 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-06-2017, 05:04 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 04:49 PM)Nero Wrote: Mine arrived today and I had to use one immediately. I went for the Frankincense & Myrrh.

Matt, I agree with your assessment of the performance of the Frankincense & Myrrh.  I would characterize the scent strength as more on the subtle side instead of "middle strength," but that's entirely subjective.   The Formula T soap base is excellent and this particular scent is lovely.  Overall, I think Asylum has a winner here.

I put its scent strength around 4 out of 10. That's a very nice level for my tastes.
Btw, my skin still feels very nice and soft.

(The Penhaligon's was like 9 out of 10, which is way too much for me.)

59 2,802