02-03-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
I ran across a Famex (a vintage French) razor in a box the other day. I'd bought it several years ago and didn't really like the way it shaved, too aggressive. Since I'd changed my prep in the last couple of years and was bored, I decided to give the Famex another try, this time with a larger, heavier handle (the original brass handle was fairly small and light). What a difference a few years makes! I found the Famex with a WRH1 XL handle to be an extremely efficient razor. Very, very smooth, a really nice close shave. I ran across another post (here or another forum, I don't remember) that indicated the Famex was an adjustable razor (screw it down tighter for a less agressive shave). I remember the Famex as super agressive, so maybe I didn't have it screwed down tight enough. With all of the attention/lust/frustration around the BBS-1 and Wolfman, just thought I'd share that there are some very interesting vintage alternatives out there. (There are also other big, heavy handles out there other than the XL - it's just the heaviest I have).

Most of there reviews I've read of the Famex have been positive but not much has been posted lately. Has anyone else had any experience with this razor/razor head?

[Image: vcxdfhc.jpg]ive

0 59
 02-04-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 08:57 PM)sapidus Wrote: I ran across a Famex (a vintage French) razor in a box the other day. I'd bought it several years ago and didn't really like the way it shaved, too aggressive. Since I'd changed my prep in the last couple of years and was bored, I decided to give the Famex another try, this time with a larger, heavier handle (the original brass handle was fairly small and light). What a difference a few years makes! I found the Famex with a WRH1 XL handle to be an extremely efficient razor. Very, very smooth, a really nice close shave. I ran across another post (here or another forum, I don't remember) that indicated the Famex was an adjustable razor (screw it down tighter for a less agressive shave). I remember the Famex as super agressive, so maybe I didn't have it screwed down tight enough. With all of the attention/lust/frustration around the BBS-1 and Wolfman, just thought I'd share that there are some very interesting vintage alternatives out there. (There are also other big, heavy handles out there other than the XL - it's just the heaviest I have).

Most of there reviews I've read of the Famex have been positive but not much has been posted lately. Has anyone else had any experience with this razor/razor head?

7 568
 02-04-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
(02-04-2017, 06:03 AM)Shave Monkey Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 08:57 PM)sapidus Wrote: I ran across a Famex (a vintage French) razor in a box the other day. I'd bought it several years ago and didn't really like the way it shaved, too aggressive. Since I'd changed my prep in the last couple of years and was bored, I decided to give the Famex another try, this time with a larger, heavier handle (the original brass handle was fairly small and light). What a difference a few years makes! I found the Famex with a WRH1 XL handle to be an extremely efficient razor. Very, very smooth, a really nice close shave. I ran across another post (here or another forum, I don't remember) that indicated the Famex was an adjustable razor (screw it down tighter for a less agressive shave). I remember the Famex as super agressive, so maybe I didn't have it screwed down tight enough. With all of the attention/lust/frustration around the BBS-1 and Wolfman, just thought I'd share that there are some very interesting vintage alternatives out there. (There are also other big, heavy handles out there other than the XL - it's just the heaviest I have).

I bought one last year. I need to clean it up and give it a try! I completely agree with you on the vintages. I have a RazVite cage head razor which is similar to the Famex, itshaves great.

7 568