03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Three full passes, a clean-up pass, if needed, and, twice a week, a detailing pass.  

Like this:

1. Full pass, with the grain, with shaving soap
2. Full pass, at an angle between straight down (with the grain), and, straight across (across the grain), with shaving soap
3. Full pass, with the grain, with shaving cream
4. Clean up pass, only getting missed areas, with shaving cream
5. Detailing pass, between, &, around the eyebrows, between the nose, and, upper lip, the edges of the hairline near the corners of the jaw, and, between the lower lip, and, chin, with shaving cream

I like to switch between soap and cream, for a couple of reasons.  One, it is good for the face to avoid falling into too much a routine.  It is good, for the face, to change which one to use.  Another reason is that I am, usually, almost out of lather by the end of the second pass.  Either that, or, I have added a bit too much water by that point, and, the lather appears a bit foamy.  So, I switch to cream to finish.

1 589
 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
Depends on whether I'm using a double edge or a straight. Two passes with the straight, usually three with the double edge.

0 42
 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(03-05-2017, 08:02 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 08:01 AM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 03:21 AM)wchnu Wrote: I share in your double take.

+1, I could get the moustache razor maybe but eyebrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unibrow maintenance?
I love this site...you folks always give me a good chuckle!  Sisi1

0 360
 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-08-2017, 11:34 AM)Quando Wrote: Three full passes, a clean-up pass, if needed, and, twice a week, a detailing pass.  

Like this:

1. Full pass, with the grain, with shaving soap
2. Full pass, at an angle between straight down (with the grain), and, straight across (across the grain), with shaving soap
3. Full pass, with the grain, with shaving cream
4. Clean up pass, only getting missed areas, with shaving cream
5. Detailing pass, between, &, around the eyebrows, between the nose, and, upper lip, the edges of the hairline near the corners of the jaw, and, between the lower lip, and, chin, with shaving cream

I no longer do this.  For the second pass, I now shave with the grain, for the cheeks, and, against the grain, for the neck, and, at a slight angle on the jaw-line.  This leads to less irritation, and, a closer, more comfortable shave.

1 589
 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
I will typically do three passes for a normal shave. If I am going for that extra close, special occasion shave, I will add one or two more  passes.

An adjustable razor is ideal for this -- I do my first three passes at a pretty aggressive setting (5 on my Progress) and dial down to 1 for any further polishing.

5 395
 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM
User Info
2 pass ups and touch ups. I'd rather get a comfortable close shave and, this way, I don't have to worry about irritation.

11 186
 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM
User Info
2 passes
1st pass with the grain
2nd pass across the grain

0 23
 03-16-2017, 07:47 AM
User Info
Three for the beard , two for my head. I'm a stickler for BBS.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 222
 05-03-2017, 04:27 AM
User Info
I do a two pass, one with and one across the grain. But now that I have a timeless (milder) razor I have begun trying against the grain. Not every day but like most every two days or so. I can tell you that the razor as well as prep is the key to getting to a true three pass shave.

1 41
 05-03-2017, 02:36 PM
User Info
WTG
ATG
XTG

0 50
 05-03-2017, 03:20 PM
User Info
WTG, ATG Touch up! & finish w/Thayer's Superhazel most of the time.

2 52
 05-07-2017, 12:06 AM
User Info
1 Lather, Wtg, touch ups. Done.

6 60
 05-07-2017, 01:54 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
I am back to two, both with-the-grain.  I love it.  It is awesome.

1 589
 05-08-2017, 12:40 AM
User Info
2 passes nowadays
- XTG
- ATG
And touch ups

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

0 17
 05-11-2017, 02:29 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-13-2017, 05:47 PM)opsimath Wrote: I will typically do three passes for a normal shave. If I am going for that extra close, special occasion shave, I will add one or two more  passes.

An adjustable razor is ideal for this -- I do my first three passes at a pretty aggressive setting (5 on my Progress) and dial down to 1 for any further polishing.

Well, YMMV, and que sera sera. I dial an adjustable up for my last pass on the reasoning i need more blade exposure to grab those shortened whiskers. But whatever works.

7 2,352
 05-11-2017, 03:37 PM
User Info
I always felt my limit was two passes with maybe a touchup on the neck, knob of the chin. Lately with some of these milder shavers I've been going for 3 passes with no irritation.

7 236
 05-11-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
2-2.5 passes.

First: WTG

Second: XTG/ATG depending on area

Touch ups: ATG on cheeks, chin areas.

This brings me a close to BBS shave everywhere except on my neck sides.

Sometimes I only do a one pass WTG shave, doing touch ups along the way, which gets me CCS/DFS-

11 972
 05-11-2017, 06:35 PM
User Info
(02-10-2017, 05:13 AM)italian-class Wrote: Hello Gentlemen,
I was wondering how many passes most of you we shavers do?
Seems like i am the only one who only does two passes: WTG - ATG

dear italian;

i do that some times, but! must of the times is either 4, 5 or 6 pases.

yea, i know you are thinking that i am crazy, but i am not.  maybe i have baseball glove leather for skin... who knows!

the thing is that i go north to south, south to north.  east to west, and west to east.  diagonal from southeast to norwest, and finally diagonal from southwest to northeast.  

mind you! i do this with a straight when i shave my face.  the safety razors i only use them to shave my head.  in my head i do two passes.  wtg and atg, but the ¨touch up¨ is so complicated that it should be called a third pass.  

to be able to pull this off, you need to do a real full scale prep.  AND you must shave without pressure.  you must have a suitable blade for that. one that is keen and smooth.  i mean, its got to be top rank.  otherwise you will shred your face to pieces.

best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 05-12-2017, 04:22 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(05-11-2017, 06:35 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 05:13 AM)italian-class Wrote: Hello Gentlemen,
I was wondering how many passes most of you we shavers do?
Seems like i am the only one who only does two passes: WTG - ATG

dear italian;

i do that some times, but! must of the times is either 4, 5 or 6 pases.

yea, i know you are thinking that i am crazy, but i am not.  maybe i have baseball glove leather for skin... who knows!

the thing is that i go north to south, south to north.  east to west, and west to east.  diagonal from southeast to norwest, and finally diagonal from southwest to northeast.  

mind you! i do this with a straight when i shave my face.  the safety razors i only use them to shave my head.  in my head i do two passes.  wtg and atg, but the ¨touch up¨ is so complicated that it should be called a third pass.  

to be able to pull this off, you need to do a real full scale prep.  AND you must shave without pressure.  you must have a suitable blade for that. one that is keen and smooth.  i mean, its got to be top rank.  otherwise you will shred your face to pieces.

best regards,

Pepe Peña

Carlos confirmed for toughest face skin

1 589
 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I do 2 passes with touch ups when/if necessary  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

For my face/chin
1 WTG
1 ATG

For my neck it's mainly WTG and touch ups, because my neck can be beyond sensitive

8 496