08-13-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
While browsing in a thrift store yesterday, I noticed these soaps. Upon first glance, they looked like your run of the mill old hand soaps that used to be popular back in the 90's. After glancing at the ingredients, I was surprised to see the bar was actually a tallow/glycerine hybrid. The price of the soaps were only $.50, so I decided to purchase the only two they had.
[Image: 20120813_222449.jpg]

Here is the list of ingredients: (Note: There are quite a few chemicals that easily could have been left out, IMO)
[Image: 20120813_222505.jpg]

Initially, I was going to break this bar down and smash it into a bowl, but I decided to lather right on the bar itself.
[Image: 20120813_222532.jpg]

The result was an immediately rich lather, with lots of cushion and a fair amount of ease in gliding. My face did not feel dry whatsoever after shaving. There was even still a small amount of some kind of fruity scent left in the lather!
[Image: 20120813_223134.jpg]

If you can manage to find some of this stuff somewhere, I would highly recommend getting it! It is a great shaving soap at a bargain price! I apologize for the poor quality pictures, all I have is the phone on my camera to create images!

1 168
 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting,very interesting.
This soap seems to be really well formulated and the lather seems the kind of many adore.
How was the glide and the post shave?

86 7,123
 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Looks like you found a hidden gem. Smile

2 11,211
 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
User Info
Wow, you are a brave gent! i could not even read the complete ingredients list as it was a bit too complex. Enjoy the soap.

75 20,883
 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
The first shave was pretty good - no razor burn, no dryness. I should have mentioned my prep involved a glycerine face wash, first pass wtg, hot towel, then against grain. Finished with alum, shower, then Captain's Choice. Are there any actual tallow/glycerine shave soaps around?
Edit: Just kidding, I saw that even a soap as simple as the "New" Williams has both sodium tallowate and glycerine in it.

Teiste, would you be willing to test out half a bar? I'm still fairly a greenhorn when it comes to wet shaving, but there may be something to this tallow/glycerine mix.

1 168
 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
[Image: ingredientlist.jpg]

If you break down the ingredient list it's also contains lather boosters (detergents) because it contains sodium laureth sulfate. While the propylene glycol, glycerin, sorbitol and the SLS are common ingredients in typical melt and pour soaps.

if you note the ingredients starts soap with the ingredients in brackets so that is a whole product that is added such as a base. That's how the FDA requires the product to be labeled. With the rest of the ingredients added in. The soap is a base made of tallow, stearic acid palm kernel oil among a few other things.

My guess it's working well because it's similar to a melt and pour soap along with the boosting action of the SLS that is added. That doesn't make it bad, it just has more in common with a glycerin soap than a tallow one. IMHO Several well known shaving soaps also contain lather boosters.

Going by the ingredient list alone....
Good Find Though!!!

7 405
 08-15-2012, 05:15 PM
User Info
Feel free to archive this thread...

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I decided to cut these bars up and try to microwave them so that I could pour them into a a small bowl. Needless to say, the soap is no more. Chalk it up to a long week so far with not enough sleep. Ha! Blush

1 168
 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
That is similar to a soap mix I used to do.Chop up Pears and Colgate or Williams and mash them together in a ramekin for a soap that had tallow and glycerin properties.

0 274