02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
User Info
I've always had a problem using a boar brush to face-lather with. First of all I only use shave sticks to face-lather. I've never done it any other way and I have no interest in doing so.
My question is, when using the boar brush do you splay the bristles a lot or do you just use light pressure? I never seem to be able to get enough lather for more than one pass.

5 1,537
 02-10-2017, 10:41 PM
User Info
I love face lathering and do so almost exclusively.  Boar is my go to about half the time.  Shave sticks are limited mostly  to when I travel but I travel quit a lot.  When I use a stick I apply soap to my face then start working it with a soaked but fairly dry brush.  I like to splay my brush pretty  much. Not a "press hard" splay but that sucker is opened up.  Add water by tip dipping and keep working the lather until it's where I like it.  I'm generally lathering for about three minutes or so.  Always have more lather than needed for three passes.  BUT when I was learning about boars I sometimes suffered from lack of sufficient lather.  My fix was more soap and more lathering.  I'll assume you are using soap sticks that you have no trouble bowl lathering.

3 145
 02-11-2017, 04:35 AM
User Info
questions:
1) what is the brush?
2) what is your soaking time?

36 893
 02-11-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
I splay a lot.

8 917
 02-11-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
Very little splay. I prefer using the tips to start the lather going and do most of the job with painting strokes. If the brush permits (omega 49 style) I use it on its side, similar to how barbers do it.

8 1,129
 02-11-2017, 07:15 AM
User Info
Thanks for your inputs. So a couple of you splay quite a bit and one of you use the tips to start with then use painting strokes. I have to give this another shot. I know a lot of guys use boar brushes for face-lathering but I have had no luck in doing so. I'll try putting more soap on my face to start with.

5 1,537
 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM
User Info
To make things more confusing, I use medium pressure throughout the shave. Works for me face lathering creams and sticks. With the stick I do start with the tips to get things going a bit but then move to medium.

Good luck!

17 1,425
 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 07:20 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: To make things more confusing, I use medium pressure throughout the shave. Works for me face lathering creams and sticks.  With the stick I do start with the tips to get things going a bit but then move to medium.

Good luck!

I think that is what I will do. Just use light pressure to using the tips of the brush to start with then add more pressure as the lather starts to form.

5 1,537
 02-11-2017, 12:04 PM
User Info
Is the brush fully broken in? Some boars tend to hog lather until broken in. I found the SOC to be this way. The 1305 was more usable right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 282
 02-11-2017, 12:28 PM
User Info
I use light pressure, too.
What soap are you using?

21 273
 02-11-2017, 01:42 PM
User Info
The specific questions don't matter, I have this problem with all the boar brushes I have used. I had bought a Semogue 610 because it seemed most guys liked it for face-lathering more than any other brush. I couldn't do anything with it.

5 1,537
 02-11-2017, 02:31 PM
User Info
Love my SOC Boar. Terrific face-latherer.

39 3,919
 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 02:31 PM)primotenore Wrote: Love my SOC Boar. Terrific face-latherer.

My brush assortment is primarily 2-band badgers.  However, I have and regularly use a Chubby 2 synthetic and the SOC boar.  I face lather, use light pressure, and do three passes + a touch up.  It doesn't take much pressure to get the SOC boar to splay sufficiently.  By the way, there is nothing wrong with taking the brush back to the soap for a second or third pass.  I occasionally have to do that with any brush I'm using.

50 6,100
 02-11-2017, 04:26 PM
User Info
This will vary greatly with each individual as it is very subjective to how we use brushes. Nonetheless, when I use boar brushes, I usually splay mine, moderately. However, if you are using shave-sticks, exclusively, I would highly recommend you get the lather generated using circular motions and sufficient water and then make sure you do enough paint-brush strokes to increase the volume of the lather.
A well-broken in boar brush should easily hold enough lather for 3 passes if loaded sufficiently.

Good luck.

83 21,078
 02-11-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 04:26 PM)celestino Wrote: This will vary greatly with each individual as it is very subjective to how we use brushes. Nonetheless, when I use boar brushes, I usually splay mine, moderately. However, if you are using shave-sticks, exclusively, I would highly recommend you get the lather generated using circular motions and sufficient water and then make sure you do enough paint-brush strokes to increase the volume of the lather.
A well-broken in boar brush should easily hold enough lather for 3 passes if loaded sufficiently.

Good luck.

I usually start with circular motions and then change to paint-brush strokes. Maybe with boar brushes I have to apply more soap to my face. I don't have this problem with synthetics.

5 1,537
 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 04:26 PM)celestino Wrote: This will vary greatly with each individual as it is very subjective to how we use brushes. Nonetheless, when I use boar brushes, I usually splay mine, moderately. However, if you are using shave-sticks, exclusively, I would highly recommend you get the lather generated using circular motions and sufficient water and then make sure you do enough paint-brush strokes to increase the volume of the lather.

Good luck.

Great description Celestino.  Thanks for that.

17 1,425
 02-11-2017, 05:58 PM
User Info
I just got done with a shave and I put plenty of soap on my face. I did have enough for 2 passes but if I wanted to go for a 3rd pass there was not enough lather there.

5 1,537
 02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
User Info
Maybe I need to start with a wetter brush? I put plenty of soap on my face but maybe I need plenty of water in the brush right from the start.

5 1,537
 02-14-2017, 07:19 PM
User Info
Having gone back and reread the original post, I now think you are not getting enough lather on your face with the stick. I don't think there is anything wrong with a good splay and a strong back and forth "slapping" motion. Keep in mind, most of the soap you are generating with a shave stick stays on your face and gets removed with the first pass.
You might also try loading your brush directly on the stick as well as a smear on your face. IMO, you can never use too much soap. Lastly, try "blooming" (sorry haters of that term) your shave stick by placing in vertically in a flat-bottom vessel with warm water for about 5 minutes, or while you shower. 
More product, more product, more product.  Biggrin 
Good Luck.

39 3,919
 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
User Info
(02-14-2017, 07:19 PM)primotenore Wrote: Having gone back and reread the original post, I now think you are not getting enough lather on your face with the stick. I don't think there is anything wrong with a good splay and a strong back and forth "slapping" motion. Keep in mind, most of the soap you are generating with a shave stick stays on your face and gets removed with the first pass.
You might also try loading your brush directly on the stick as well as a smear on your face. IMO, you can never use too much soap. Lastly, try "blooming" (sorry haters of that term) your shave stick by placing in vertically in a flat-bottom vessel with warm water for about 5 minutes, or while you shower. 
More product, more product, more product.  Biggrin 
Good Luck.

None of this is necessary with a synthetic brush. A boar brush should not be much different. I never believe "blooming" any soap is necessary.

5 1,537