02-11-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
Hey Gents , I'm looking on acquiring a new lather bowl . Don't care on how it looks as long as it's not too heavy and bulky . I'm leaning towards a textured bowl since I want it to produce lather rather quickly . My brother told me about a honeycomb textured bowl made by Van Yulay. Have any of you tried that one ? I would appreciate  any recommendations.    Thanks gentlemen

0 9
 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
[Image: g2X1vNQ.jpg]
Love mine, got it from Symmetrical Pottery; you can Google them.

2 267
 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM
User Info
I am looking for recommendations as well. I already have an Aesop bowl but want something fancier / crazy pattern.

49 356
 02-11-2017, 12:52 PM
User Info
Thanks Dan

0 9
 02-11-2017, 01:06 PM
User Info
I really love my Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery:

[Image: lmnMuyC.jpg]

0 199
 02-11-2017, 01:12 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 01:06 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I really love my Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery:

Very nice

0 9
 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM
User Info
Another thumbs up for Symmetrical. If you like any of the ready mades, that's the way to go, as I've been waiting over 4 months for a custom bowl.

19 350
 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM
User Info
Three are some great bowls that may not be market as a shaveing bowl. 

[Image: MAq6gnw.jpg]

[Image: ZiTQeQH.jpg]

[Image: wjE6ALi.jpg]

The last bowl is a cereal bowl from target. Super wide mouth Super deep. Textured like a golf ball. An amazing bowl for $10/4 pack

17 562
 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 01:06 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I really love my Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery:

For years I have face lathered exclusively.  However, when I used to bowl lather, the Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery was my preferred bowl.

39 3,934
 02-11-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 02:08 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Three are some great bowls that may not be market as a shaveing bowl. 

The last bowl is a cereal bowl from target. Super wide mouth Super deep. Textured like a golf ball. An amazing bowl for $10/4 pack

On the bowl purchased from Target . Is the bowl good to break down the soap easily ?

0 9
 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
building lather depends on the brush and brusher not ridges

33 761
 02-11-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 03:46 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: building lather depends on the brush and brusher not ridges

That may be true, but I'm looking for all the help I can get.  And ridges certainly couldn't hurt, right?

0 199
 02-11-2017, 04:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-11-2017, 04:13 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 03:46 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: building lather depends on the brush and brusher not ridges

That may be true, but I'm looking for all the help I can get.  And ridges certainly couldn't hurt, right?

Yes, ridges can be detrimental, but not a whole lot.  Until the shaving mug that I had used for 50 years was destroyed in an instant on January 23, I had lathered daily using a ceramic mug with a very smooth floor and smooth sides, and it made lather just the way I like it.   I replaced that mug with a smooth-sided Martian stainless bowl from Aēsop, which lathered pretty much the same way, but retained heat in the lather the way a wide open door works in Antarctica.  A fellow ShaveNooker (who face lathers) generously offered to trade his lightly used Georgetown G12 scuttle for my new Aēsop Martian (thank you again, Tom) straight up, and I have been using the new-to-me Georgetown G12 for the past week or so. The Georgetown G12 has ridges on the sides of the bowl and round bumps on the floor of the bowl, and it whips up lather really fast, faster than I could build lather in my beloved, now smithereened, mug.

But I quickly discovered what one of the sages on this board wrote recently is very true:  sometimes lather looks a lot better than it works.  While I am still learning how to adjust my technique to the standards that the Georgetown scuttle demands of me, I have been getting gorgeous looking lather that dries out more quickly than the lather I have been accustomed to generating with a smooth bottomed bowl.  (The dry lather stays nicely warm though.   Thumbup )

When building lather, air can be your friend  —   except when the air works against your interests.

0 910
 02-11-2017, 05:03 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 04:58 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 04:13 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote:

Yes, ridges can be detrimental, but not a whole lot.  Until the shaving mug that I had used for 50 years was destroyed in an instant on January 23, I had lathered daily using a ceramic mug with a very smooth floor and smooth sides, and it made lather just the way I like it.   I replaced that mug with a smooth-sided Martian stainless bowl from Aēsop, which lathered pretty much the same way, but retained heat in the lather the way a wide open door works in Antarctica.  A fellow ShaveNooker (who face lathers) generously offered to trade his lightly used Georgetown G12 scuttle for my new Aēsop Martian (thank you again, Tom) straight up, and I have been using the new-to-me Georgetown G12 for the past week or so. The Georgetown G12 has ridges on the sides of the bowl and round bumps on the floor of the bowl, and it whips up lather really fast, faster than I could build lather in my beloved, now smithereened, mug.

But I quickly discovered what one of the sages on this board wrote recently is very true:  sometimes lather looks a lot better than it works.  While I am still learning how to adjust my technique to the standards that the Georgetown scuttle demands of me, I have been getting gorgeous looking lather that dries out more quickly than the lather I have been accustomed to generating with a smooth bottomed bowl.  (The dry lather stays nicely warm though.   Thumbup )

When building lather, air can be your friend  —   except when the air works against your interests.

Well, I believe that I have adjusted my technique sub-consciously then.  I use my Bill Bowl most of the time, and when I'm looking for a little more warmth I use my Dirty Bird Scuttle.  Both of these have ridges.  I don't have any issues with my lather drying out.

If the OP does decide that he would rather have a smooth bowl, I'm sure that Julie at Dirty Bird would be happy to accommodate.  She's a real pleasure to work with.

0 199
 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM
User Info
(02-11-2017, 02:47 PM)BMOC Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 02:08 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Three are some great bowls that may not be market as a shaveing bowl. 

On the bowl purchased from Target . Is the bowl good to break down the soap easily ?

It's actually one of my favorite bowls to use. 

It whips up thick lather without being too aerated. I like a thicker denser lather. Sometimes I find the ridges of a dedicated lather bowl makes the lather to foamy. 

I've used a dirty bird bill bowl and scuttle (Julie is awsome BTW) but have passed the bill bowl on since i did not like the over aeration. Kept the scuttle for those days where I want hot lather, but increasingly find myself using the 'double broiler' method with my aesop bowl...

17 562
 02-11-2017, 05:46 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info

+1

3 508