02-15-2017, 06:36 PM
User Info
I have a number of items that would qualify as luxury - if not by single item then total price. ATT H1 on a UFO grand Titan. Simpsons chubby 2 Manchurian, three shavemacs, & Paladin lemondrop. A drawer full of Mike's & CRSW. Each and every shave tells me the same thing: Every penny was worth it.

Every. Single. One.

17 774
 02-15-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 07:58 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: There is no need to go luxury to get a great shave.  I can do just fine with an Omega 49 brush, tub of Arko soap, and Merkur 34C razor.  However, in a hobby we are dealing with things we want, as opposed to need.  I get luxury shaving items because I enjoy them.  These luxury items don't make sense in a strict, cost/benefit analysis.  However, if I factor in my subjective enjoyment of them, they are worth it to me.  So, to answer your question, any luxury shaving item that is within your means and which you enjoy is worth it.

+1

4 153
 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
User Info
(02-15-2017, 06:36 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I have a number of items that would qualify as luxury - if not by single item then total price. ATT H1 on a UFO grand Titan. Simpsons chubby 2 Manchurian, three shavemacs, & Paladin lemondrop. A drawer full of Mike's & CRSW. Each and every shave tells me the same thing: Every penny was worth it.

Every. Single. One.

What he said..

1 112
 02-15-2017, 10:53 PM
User Info
(02-15-2017, 06:38 PM)DEdestroyer Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 07:58 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: There is no need to go luxury to get a great shave.  I can do just fine with an Omega 49 brush, tub of Arko soap, and Merkur 34C razor.  However, in a hobby we are dealing with things we want, as opposed to need.  I get luxury shaving items because I enjoy them.  These luxury items don't make sense in a strict, cost/benefit analysis.  However, if I factor in my subjective enjoyment of them, they are worth it to me.  So, to answer your question, any luxury shaving item that is within your means and which you enjoy is worth it.

+1

+1

10 702
 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
Some of them are. BBS-1 is definitely worth the money, along with Paladin brushes. Paladins have always been a safe buy for me, and brought me nothing but delight.

As for soaps, I really enjoy seeing the AdP cream/soap I have in my den. It's a gift from my wife, and I'd pick it if I had to choose just one.

8 1,082
 02-17-2017, 10:10 PM
User Info
I love expensive thing, I give up trying to find excuses for it. Few years ago I will be like... cause cause... quality? Cause... cause... exclusivity? Cause... good customer service?

These days I just admit I love expensive stuffs, if there is a similar thing, with both different price, 90% of the time I will grab the more expensive item cause I am a sucker for it.

This hold true for many of my other hobbies, just to name a few:

- Fountain Pen
- Watches
- Audiophile equipments
- Designer products
- Shaving - I expect 2017 to be the year I start hoarding expensive razor and brush, I am still currently in my soap hunting expedition.

Though for most, luxury does gives me a better experience, fountain pen, the smoothness and feedback while writing. Exceptionally quality music, especially the way the item is tune to your liking and such. Well, look like I am more about justifying my expensive stuffs than to find excuse for buying them these days.

0 171
 02-17-2017, 10:26 PM
User Info
dear aero;

i like your honesty, even when i am an utilitarian...  the thing is i like expensive things too, but not just because there are expensive.  

we share a thing for fountain pens :-)
audiophile equipment?  try yamaha HS-80 studio monitors.  bob clearmountain (and everybody else) use them to mix the music you love.  i mean in the studio.  there is nothing flatter in this world.  well, that is if you want to listen the truth of it all...

best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 370
 03-12-2017, 08:05 AM
User Info
We buy expensive items for the satisfaction it gives to wear or use such items. As the income level goes up our desires are not satiated but go into a different orbit.

Being in wet shaving and perfume collection for over an year now. I somehow have reached a level I think I have relished the most amazing and luxurious products money can buy, in my limited capacity. I am downsizing on the software and intend to may be acquire a SE and one high end DE and may be a few good brushes and then stop new acquisition completely.

But, all the happiness or satisfaction such things bring is relative in nature and not absolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 562
 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 08:05 AM)Jags009 Wrote: We buy expensive items for the satisfaction it gives to wear or use such items. As the income level goes up our desires are not satiated but go into a different orbit.

Being in wet shaving and perfume collection for over an year now. I somehow have reached a level I think I have relished the most amazing and luxurious products money can buy, in my limited capacity. I am downsizing on the software and intend to may be acquire a SE and one high end DE and may be a few good brushes and then stop new acquisition completely.

But, all the happiness or satisfaction such things bring is relative in nature and not absolute.

yes jags, i am with you 100%.  i love czeck and speake as much as i love palmolive cream... :-/

0 370
 03-12-2017, 08:40 AM
User Info
Great discussion.  I have high end brushes(M&F, Paladin, Romera) and cheap brushes like the Stirling Kong.  I like them all.  Do I regret buying any of them? No.  To me it was worth it to find out about their face feel and performance.
I also have the asylum DE and the Timeless OC 0.95.  I am glad I got them but they absolutely are not needed for a great shave.  Today I used a Muhle R41 with a Lord Platinum blade and got a great shave.
If all of a sudden, some of the expensive items I own become scarce and start going for 3 or 4 times what I paid for them, I honestly would be tempted to sell them all and use my Stirling Kong or Finest badger and my other cheap equipment.

0 111
 03-13-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
Luxury is feeling genuine pleasure from shaving with your Lord DE, Derby blade, Arko soap stick and Omega gen 2 synthetic brush ... a frame of mind.

0 146
 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 09:16 AM)Egmont Wrote: Luxury is feeling genuine pleasure from shaving with your Lord DE, Derby blade, Arko soap stick and Omega gen 2 synthetic brush ... a frame of mind.

Dear egmont;

I agree. That shave would be a luxury. But also is a MdC, paladin, timeless one. The luxury is the shave and the attitude. I think that the moment we put the expense in the way of the shave, that is the precise moment we start degrading it. You might say: "that is easy to say with a silver spoon up your butt".

I enjoy many wet shaving things that are not expensive, like bigelow cream, fatip razor, and stirling brushes. That does not mean that i have to dislike the expensive stuff. I like both.

A shave zen master would say: the shave is within! You think the blade is shaving you?

Besides, the term luxury itself is relative. What is a luxury for one might be crap for another...

What holds true is that the humbler you are, the more you enjoy. Your mind ir freer. You are able to enjoy the little thing. To experience everything for what it is. Not for what it should be in somebody else's mind.

It is not about the equipment. It is about that mirror time you spend with yourself.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 370
 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM
User Info
I have 1 razor, 1 brush and 1 soap (which gets used till its finished)

I got off the hardware and software train a little while ago now. 

I sold or gave away everything but my 3 favourite items. 

I suppose each of the three items I use might be considered "premium" -  but when you eg only own and use one soap, and a tub lasts a year, the cost really doesn't matter. 

Perhaps what is the luxury is owning multiple razors and brushes, and multiple soaps, many of which are seldom used. 

Just a thought.

0 35
 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM
User Info
In the context of the OP's definition, I'd consider many of the modern razors already listed would be part of my den's luxury wing and my recently acquired trio of PannaCrema Nuavia soaps are certainly in there as well.  I'd also include high-end vintage razors.

56 3,307
 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
Part of luxury is performance and part of it is aesthetics.

For me, the element where spending more really makes a difference in performance is blades.  A sharp blade is the sine qua non of a good shave.  Much like a good set of tires/contact patch is the key to performance driving.  This is the business end.

The delta in cost to buy the best, whether Feathers or Gillette Platinums, and using them for less shaves, is worth it.  No sense in saving money on blades.

I've never used an SE but if the Feather Pro is that much better as a blade, then the rationale makes sense.

For DE razors, the key is design.  For me, the modern razor designs that work well range from the $30 EJ89 to the $300 Wolfman.  The advantage of SS razors is longevity and aesthetics, not performance.

For Brushes, $12 synths make lather more easily than $200 badgers.  The high-end brush experience is more about aesthetics and feel than performance.

Soaps and Creams: I agree with Claus' Wine analogy, once you get above a certain price, the differences in performance are so small that it comes down to personal preference.

I am lucky to get great shaves with a Sabini-knotted Paladin, SMN v3, and a Wolfman.

But I also get great shaves with a Stirling Synth, Latha, and a Muhle 89.

10 890
 03-18-2017, 04:14 AM
User Info
Quote:No sense in saving money on blades.

Amen to that. 

If there is one thing I don't skimp on - it is good blades regularly replaced. 

Quote:Sabini-knotted Paladin, SMN v3, and a Wolfman

First rate. Bravo.

0 35
 03-18-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
(03-17-2017, 02:30 PM)surfshaver Wrote: The delta in cost to buy the best, whether Feathers or Gillette Platinums, and using them for less shaves, is worth it.  No sense in saving money on blades.

Thats where the bullet meets the bone. With you 100%.

0 370
 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
I believe we are blessed with an enormous amount of quality items to chose from and thus we are all accustomed to a luxurious experience of sort. Some have the very expensive razors and brushes others find luxury in very inexpensive boar brushes and a vintage razor. To put performance aside and judge the experience just on having a nicely crafted tool , a beautiful soap dish with a nicely scented soap , yes these things to me are worth spending money on. I have been on either side of this debate at one time or another and the truth is I can appreciate and have done so , both sides.

53 1,287
 03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
User Info
Getting back to aesthetics, there is something special about having something beautiful, hand-made, top quality, that can last a long time or even a lifetime.

I've said it before: in the realm of hobbies, wetshaving luxury is relatively affordable.

10 890
 03-19-2017, 01:57 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info

Exactly. As in most high end products , its not always about getting twice as much or as good for paying twice as much. Its not always quantifiable.  You pay more for better. Whatever that is.

7 2,144