02-12-2017, 03:49 AM
User Info
Any of you guys tried the "Black Wolf" synthetic knot by W.W. or the "Tuxedo" by APShaveCo?
Is it the same knot? They look exactly the same.
I've read a few (favourable..) reviews on the "Black Wolf", but does the overall lack of reviews on this knot mean that you guys who've tried it, dont like it?

I like synthetics, and is very interested in this brush.
Ive read that it has extremly soft tips, but as I always facelather, I also like brushes with at least some backbone.
For synthetics my Mühle XL and Chubby 2 synthetic are my top performers.
How do you feel it stacks up against one of those?
Or is it more of a softer "Plisson" style brush?

I found this beauty online.
Black anodized aluminium with the "Tuxedo" knot" ... I'm very tempted to pull the trigger!

[Image: 3hPNAtM.jpg]

1 112
 02-12-2017, 04:27 AM
User Info
I have 3 Black Wolf knots. I previously refused to buy synthetic only purchasing top Shavemac and Simpson Badgers. Then I won a lottery with Wolf Whiskers and finally took a shot. ABSOLUTELY loved it. Got rid of 3 Badger brushes to make room for my 3 Black Wolf Brushes I now own.

I spoke to the Tuxedo guy on Etsy, really cool guy, and he can't say for sure , but he believes they are same knot. He says he asked that his be packed as dense as possible from manufacture so he doesn't know if his are more dense , but that there are very very few manufacturers of those knots so he's 95℅ sure they are same one Wolf Whiskers gets. I've done side by side and neither is more dense. Both identical.

Tuxedo now has a 30 mm knot which sounds cool .

Do yourself a favor and get one. Personally Wolf Whiskers makes just stupidly excellent brushes , I'd get one from him.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

0 5
 02-12-2017, 04:39 AM
User Info
Chris Bailey (ilather) has a Black Wolf from Wolf Whiskers and a Black Synthetic from Envy Shaves (not sure if it is the Tuxedo knot) and he prefers the Envy synthetic.

1 158
 02-12-2017, 04:51 AM
User Info
That's a beauty Tyson!

0 1
 02-12-2017, 05:08 AM
User Info
I wrote the site making the brush in the picture.
It's the APShaveCo "Tuxedo" knot, and they say its the same knot as the "Black Wolf" by W.W.

Absolutly gorgeous IMO.. think I'm gonna have to get this one!

1 112
 02-12-2017, 08:03 AM
User Info
Do the Black Wolf and Tuxedo have a substantial glue bump?  The Plisson itself has no glue bump.  However, the Plisson type knots seem to all have a large glue bump.  Apparently, this is the way the manufacturers have added the backbone many felt was missing from the Plisson itself.  I've never tried either of these black knots and wonder if they also utilize the glue bump for backbone.

50 6,071
 02-12-2017, 08:24 AM
User Info
How does the Game Changer compare to these two?

13 494
 02-12-2017, 12:08 PM
User Info
Ive got a WW Black Wolf and its pretty awesome.  IMO, its as good as any other synthetic on the market.

0 31
 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM
User Info
one Shaving Brush made by M. Red (French rofum Rasage-traditionnel) with 1 knot tuxedo 30mm!

Very beautiful Smile

[Image: img_2135.jpg]

[Image: img_2134.jpg]

0 210
 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
[Image: iUQnGWr.jpg]I had Larry at Whipped Dog, put a tall black handle on my 24mm Tuxedo. A great brush. Because I had it set at the standard hight, there is a glue bump. Had I set the knot 10mm deeper, there would have been no glue bump.

11 659
 02-12-2017, 10:04 PM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 12:50 PM)PapySnake Wrote: one Shaving Brush made by M. Red (French rofum Rasage-traditionnel) with 1 knot tuxedo 30mm!

Very beautiful Smile

[Image: img_2135.jpg]

[Image: img_2134.jpg]

Nicolas, that is a very nice Chubby style handle.

50 6,071
 02-12-2017, 11:03 PM
User Info
Absolutely love it. It's my best synthetic.

11 1,169
 02-12-2017, 11:14 PM
User Info
Will somebody who dislikes the Plissoft and its variants like the Tuxedo knot? My Maggard synthetic is painful to use because it's scratchy and it has so much backbone. The RazoRock Plissoft was slightly better but not by much since they are the same knot. The only brush that I can use is my Whipped Dog synthetic, which is as soft as a pillow.

I strongly dislike backbone after my experience with the Maggard and the Plissoft. Since I keep hearing that the Tuxedo has a lot of backbone, it seems like it won't be fit for me. On the other hand, everyone says that it's incredibly soft so I wonder if this would nullify my distaste for excessive backbone.

0 21
 02-12-2017, 11:20 PM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 11:14 PM)Demidog Wrote: Will somebody who dislikes the Plissoft and its variants like the Tuxedo knot? My Maggard synthetic is painful to use because it's scratchy and it has so much backbone. The RazoRock Plissoft was slightly better but not by much since they are the same knot. The only brush that I can use is my Whipped Dog synthetic, which is as soft as a pillow.

I strongly dislike backbone after my experience with the Maggard and the Plissoft. Since I keep hearing that the Tuxedo has a lot of backbone, it seems like it won't be fit for me. On the other hand, everyone says that it's incredibly soft so I wonder if this would nullify my distaste for excessive backbone.

I don't find the Plissoft unbearably scratchy but I hear you, there is a bit of scratch there. This one has no scratch at all in my opinion and my go-to when my face is feeling extra sensitive. The fan knot is my favorite, not too much backbone and splays nicely.

11 1,169
 02-13-2017, 04:40 AM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 11:20 PM)1Geralt Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 11:14 PM)Demidog Wrote: Will somebody who dislikes the Plissoft and its variants like the Tuxedo knot? My Maggard synthetic is painful to use because it's scratchy and it has so much backbone. The RazoRock Plissoft was slightly better but not by much since they are the same knot. The only brush that I can use is my Whipped Dog synthetic, which is as soft as a pillow.

I don't find the Plissoft unbearably scratchy but I hear you, there is a bit of scratch there. This one has no scratch at all in my opinion and my go-to when my face is feeling extra sensitive. The fan knot is my favorite, not too much backbone and splays nicely.
This has been mostly my experience as well. I do find it somewhat softer. I really like it, but it certainly is not going to fool you into thinking it is a badger. Then again, I'm fine with that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337