02-12-2017, 07:19 AM
User Info
Hi

As the title says i wanna know if anyone has a Wolfman with a reduced blade gap.i like aggressive razors but appreciate a smooth but effective mild razor as well. Razors that i consider as smooth an effective is Feather as-d2 and Ikon B1 slant.these get the job done and there is no problem with buffing and touch up.

The reason for this question is that a wont a daily driver that i can do a 3  pass shave without any problems or irritation.

2 315
 02-12-2017, 07:45 AM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I have the .54 gap but it might dissapoint you cause I only need 2 pass with it, you may miss that 3rd pass.

1 429
 02-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I have a .54 and wouldn't go any lower.  Two passes does it for me as well.

Eric

46 933
 02-12-2017, 08:45 AM
User Info
I dont know why but i all most everytime do 3 passes somtimes 2 with tuch ups.maybe my techniques are bad still after 6years.its only with a mild razor i can shave everyday and get dfs or close to bbs..if i use muhle r41 i can forget it .i have a decent amount of beard growth and a bit of cobber wire in my face.

Be well and enjoy wet shaving

2 315
 02-12-2017, 09:38 AM
User Info
What other razors are similar in aggressiveness to the 0.54 and 0.61 Wolfman?

1 145
 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM
User Info
I opted for the solid bar .48mm gap when I ordered my first Wolfman razor because I wasn't sure what to expect. I like mild but efficient razors and this one is both for me. I really like it and generally can get by with 2 passes which ends up close to BBS without going against the grain which I don't like to do anyway. 

I was lucky enough to get in on the last twitter notification and purchased a solid bar .61mm (standard) and can't wait to try it. I DO NOT regret going with the .48mm first.

I sent Wolfman and email not too long ago requesting blade gap comparisons but did not receive a response. It would be nice to know how the WM blade gaps compared to other more readily available but popular razors.

9 118
 02-12-2017, 10:48 AM
User Info
I do not think i make 0.41 anymore it is the 0.48 i have tried the standard 0.61 it is noce and i do like it but i was thinking that 0.48 is a bit smoother but still efficient... i feel that going from 0.61 to 0.54 makes no remarkable difference that is way i am wondering about 0.48 ..if this is milder than the feather i dont si the point since i have asd2.

2 315
 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM
User Info
I edited my post as I noticed I inserted .41mm by accident.

9 118
 02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
I have owned the AS-D2 and I find the Wolfman .48mm to be as mild to my face with much better efficiency.

Before my post in this thread I got my WM .48 out and shaved off two days growth in two passes WITH the grain and it is VERY CLOSE to BBS without any irritation caused by an ATG pass.

9 118
 02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I would suggest trying the standard gap first. I have really sensitive skin and I'm able to use the standard gap OC on a daily basis without irritation. I only do 2 passes with the grain, so keep that in mind, but it's still easier on my face than the ASD2 was.

3 535
 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 11:03 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I have owned the AS-D2 and I find the Wolfman .48mm to be as mild to my face with much better efficiency.

Before my post in this thread I got my WM .48 out and shaved off two days growth in two passes WITH the grain and it is VERY CLOSE to BBS without any irritation caused by an ATG pass.
This sounds great and that you in fact have had both helps alot seems as 0.48 is not a bad thing as a said i have tried the 0.61 standard in dual comb and it is a ridiculously good razor .. so you wont be disappointed i think you will like it.it has some blade fell but it is a smooth razor.

2 315
 02-12-2017, 11:19 AM
User Info
(02-12-2017, 11:08 AM)DayMan Wrote: I would suggest trying the standard gap first. I have really sensitive skin and I'm able to use the standard gap OC on a daily basis without irritation. I only do 2 passes with the grain, so keep that in mind, but it's still easier on my face than the ASD2 was.
A you guys are making this hard, as i have tried the standard gad and like thst but i think i could be a smoother razor with less blade gap..as long 0.48 aint to much.....i really love wolfman razors they look so nice James is doing a wonderful job with his razors and i am thinking about that mirror polished finish the dual comb i have tried was with a brushed finish but it looked quite nice that one as well.

2 315
 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM
User Info
Is it enyone else that have experience with a wolfman with a reduced blade gap..i am waiting for my wolfman and still have a chance to change the gap..

I am afraid that it will be to mild on 0.48.. i like progress on 2-3 setting but that is a different head. Feather asd2 is quite good but what's the blade gap on that ?

[Image: liNDa7v.png]

2 315
 02-14-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
I had the standard gap Wolfman. It was too harsh for me unless I was careful. I sold it.

I have a 0.54 now. It's very nice. Not too mild at all to me. It will still bite it I don't give it its due respect. It doesn't bite for the fun of it like the standard seemed prone to.

I would compare the 0.54 gap to the Barbaros razor or even a Merkur slant razor. It's not as smooth as the Barbaros but it's similar efficiency. 

The reason I got the 0.54 was that I requested a shave between the standard gap Wolfman and the Feather AS D2. James made it 0.54 and it is excellent.

If I ever get the opportunity to get a new Wolfman I would like to get the 0.48. 

The standard gap was good for a few shaves but I shave daily and after three days my skin would feel very raw. I don't get this issue with the 0.54. 

I use a different razor weekly and the switch is sometimes harsh for me coming from a week with a very mild razor such as a Gillette Tech. It's not a huge problem but I am curious about the 0.48. If it is as efficient as the 0.54 the but smoother it could possibly be the razor to end my search once and for all.

I do have to say that if I only had a Wolfman standard gap razor and used it exclusively I would be satisfied. I know that part of my preference for milder razors is due to my rotating from razor to razor all the time. Sometimes I even use a different razor every day. At times I have used the same razor for months. The variety is a great part of the hobby for me. I would be satisfied with only one Wolfman of any gap. With enough use the muscles lock in good technique. The reduced gap offers much more tolerance for me and I really appreciate it. I like aggressive razors from time to time. Sometimes it's hard to make time for a leisurely shave. 

I saw on Reddit where James said his personal razor that he shaves with has different gaps on each side. The open comb side is larger gap and the solid bar side is reduced. Seems very simple and ingenious solution to the question. If money and Wolfman razors were in unlimited supply I would buy a razor like that too.

7 1,316
 02-14-2017, 12:09 PM
User Info
(02-14-2017, 12:02 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I had the standard gap Wolfman. It was too harsh for me unless I was careful. I sold it.

I have a 0.54 now. It's very nice. Not too mild at all to me. It will still bite it I don't give it its due respect. It doesn't bite for the fun of it like the standard seemed prone to.

I would compare the 0.54 gap to the Barbaros razor or even a Merkur slant razor. It's not as smooth as the Barbaros but it's similar efficiency. 

The reason I got the 0.54 was that I requested a shave between the standard gap Wolfman and the Feather AS D2. James made it 0.54 and it is excellent.

If I ever get the opportunity to get a new Wolfman I would like to get the 0.48. 

The standard gap was good for a few shaves but I shave daily and after three days my skin would feel very raw. I don't get this issue with the 0.54. 

I use a different razor weekly and the switch is sometimes harsh for me coming from a week with a very mild razor such as a Gillette Tech. It's not a huge problem but I am curious about the 0.48. If it is as efficient as the 0.54 the but smoother it could possibly be the razor to end my search once and for all.

I do have to say that if I only had a Wolfman standard gap razor and used it exclusively I would be satisfied. I know that part of my preference for milder razors is due to my rotating from razor to razor all the time. Sometimes I even use a different razor every day. At times I have used the same razor for months. The variety is a great part of the hobby for me. I would be satisfied with only one Wolfman of any gap. With enough use the muscles lock in good technique. The reduced gap offers much more tolerance for me and I really appreciate it. I like aggressive razors from time to time. Sometimes it's hard to make time for a leisurely shave. 

I saw on Reddit where James said his personal razor that he shaves with has different gaps on each side. The open comb side is larger gap and the solid bar side is reduced. Seems very simple and ingenious solution to the question. If money and Wolfman razors were in unlimited supply I would buy a razor like that too.
This just the way i have it, i to use different razors from time to time and sometimes a new brush and razor everyday.i shave usually everyday and i cant do that with muhle r41, razorock wunderbar. Merkur futur or some open combs.i have tried wolfman dual comb but that had the standard gap on both sides and it is a great razor.but i hope that 0.48 gap will give a smoother shave but with more efficiency than feather asd2.

2 315
 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
The .68 Timeless OC may just be what you are looking for.  I have that combo and it is outstanding....efficient and smooth as butter.

0 15
 02-14-2017, 02:31 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I found the .54 Wolfman to be a better shaver for me than the .68 Timeless SB, their similar in efficiency and both are mild and smooth but the Wolfman .54 is easier on my skin and doesn't leave any irritation, with the Timeless I had to be more careful with but gave a great shave in he end.

1 429
 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM
User Info
I have the Timeless scalloped head in 0.68 too. It's larger and bulkier than the Wolfman.

I am not good at comparing stuff. To me they are both nice and give me good shaves. They're very different. I prefer the lower profile of the Wolfman. I prefer the less blade feel against the grain with the Timeless.

I don't prefer one over the other really at the end of the day.

7 1,316
 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM
User Info
The Wolfman razor is quite a bit smaller than the Timeless. It really surprised me how small it was.

9 118
 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM
User Info
You guys are killing me ... I want a 0.54 Wolfman!

1 145