02-13-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info
Hello gents,

I have Scrupleworks Torolf strop - excellent. It's time to buy a new strop.
Which strop is considered the best and why?
I think about KANAYAMA Cordovan #80000 or WESTHOLME 3" Shell Cordovan & Natural Linen, but I am willing to listen to other opinions, advice.

Thanks in advance.

3 302
 02-13-2017, 06:45 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have all three of the strops that you just mentioned, and each is superb. Kanayama is buttery smooth, and a joy to use. The Shell Cordovan is a very fast strop, and is probably the premier leather for strops. Each is very different, and I enjoy using each. A very experienced friend has been enjoying the Mastro Livi loom strop, and likes it so well that he's sold the above strops.

38 5,107
 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
I have a Kanayama 70000 and as stated it's great to use, i also have a TM Fast Bridle and just a tad to glassy for me and then I have beater Scruppleworks oil tanned that has seen heavy use and i use it off the stones only as the back linen is treated with CrOx then i have not one but two TM Spanish Bridle strops ( Can't get these anymore) the Spanish Bridle have a medium draw and i am finding out it's tight up there with the Kanayama for feedback, the reason i have two is when i got the first one my son wanted it so i gave it to him well fast forward 2 months and he's decided he wants to stick with his Rasurpur paddle so i have that one sitting on the shelf and more than likely will works it's way to BST when I have time to list.

I honestly believe all quality leather with do it's job on keeping the edge going on a straight some cost alot more and some are pretty cheap it all comes down to what you want to spend, what draw you are looking for etc...

6 1,334
 02-14-2017, 02:57 AM
User Info
Ordered Mastro Livi loom strop.
Thanks to all!! Smile

3 302
 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Navarrsky,

The Mastro Livi loom strop is a commendable choice. Through the years, I've used just about every prominent strop, from cordovan to latigo, and never come across one that matches the effectiveness of my Mastro Livi. For me, anyway. I think it's an incredible strop. Twenty strokes on the skin side and that's it. When the razor needs it, I do about 10 strokes on the linen side coated with CrO, and finish with 20 strokes on the skin side. Of course, I use Mastro Livi's technique, which also adds to the pleasure of using his loom strop. I have the travel size and the small size. Good stuff.

150 3,020
 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
Thanks Obie!
I bought a medium size. Hope it's not too big.

3 302
 02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-14-2017, 09:51 AM)Navarrsky Wrote: Thanks Obie!
I bought a medium size. Hope it's not too big.

The medium size should be okay. It's a little too big for me, since I don't need more than about seven inches of stropping length, but I would still take it. I think you'll be happy with the strop, especially if you use it the way Mastro Livi does, and which is the way I do. There are videos of Mastro Livi stropping on this strop, which I find quite educational. Good stuff.

150 3,020
 02-14-2017, 11:51 PM
User Info
Thank you, much appreciated!

3 302