02-14-2017, 06:24 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Reading through the forums you can't help but come across the name Dorko and with a growing interest in straights razors I was able to nab a New Old Stock off 'the bay' direct from Germany (shipped out of Solingen actually!), for a very reasonable price. The blade is stamped #856 on the reverse side of the tang, measuring 7/8's, the blade is flawless devoid of any light scratches, tight 3 pin scale that centers when closed, gold etching very strong and pronounced and the scales have a metallic inlay of the Dorko symbol.  Its an amazing preserved piece of shaving hardware from years past, the seller said its a lot of razors that he found from the 50's.

This bad boy is 'big and thin' as Doc226 best put it, he honed this and a few others before its first shave. Its a very audible straight, you can hear the blade taking the hairs off with a 'ping' like sound and with the edge Alfredo put on it you feel nothing but see the results of your shave when wiping off the lather. 

[Image: 3QGxv0j.jpg]
[Image: fekJ7rY.jpg]
[Image: 8exzSaF.jpg]
[Image: G1eoJ7n.jpg]

35 1,329
 02-14-2017, 06:41 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Beautiful Razor! Thanks for sharing your findSmile

57 4,003
 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
User Info
She's a beauty!

17 630
 02-14-2017, 11:55 AM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
They are top of the heap or at least up there with a very nice view of the summit. Enjoy yours! I have owned them in the past and they are certainly singing on the strop. I have a 13/16 now that I figured that I would bid so long to because I am more of a 5/8 Swedish ilk for shaving. Still, they are highly sought after and to find one NOS like that is special. There is that one "Orange" scaled Dorko monster on eBay that looks so cool and the price is stratospheric as well. I can't remember who off the top of my head but in the shaving community there was one fellow who was quite a prolific Dorko collector. Here is mine only one "saying hi"....
[Image: AFrf91H.jpg]

19 767
 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Thanks all!! 

@minimalist  Wow, that's really intricate work from the beautiful scales to the spine and goldwash! I've seen that one your talking about the Dorko with the orange, that's an attention grabber for sure, its magnificent! I remember few months ago there was one that came up for open bid and I think it closed really close to that asking amount from the buy it now, its a beautiful shaver and a really happy add to my rotation. It was quite the experience opening the Dorko when I received it, you can tell the wax paper is old because its nearly brittle sound as I peel it back from the blade so to know no one touched it till now and to have it come up in that condition I was really over the moon.

35 1,329
 02-14-2017, 03:40 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Wow guys, those are both beauties!  I have been trying to minimize my expenditures on straight razors until I know what I like, but like all my other AD's it's really hard not to go buck wild!

137 2,587
 03-03-2017, 05:32 AM
User Info
(02-14-2017, 11:55 AM)minimalist Wrote: They are top of the heap or at least up there with a very nice view of the summit. Enjoy yours! I have owned them in the past and they are certainly singing on the strop. I have a 13/16 now that I figured that I would bid so long to because I am more of a 5/8 Swedish ilk for shaving. Still, they are highly sought after and to find one NOS like that is special. There is that one "Orange" scaled Dorko monster on eBay that looks so cool and the price is stratospheric as well. I can't remember who off the top of my head but in the shaving community there was one fellow who was quite a prolific Dorko collector. Here is mine only one "saying hi"....
[Image: AFrf91H.jpg]

G-damm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 370
 03-03-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info
Stunning razor and great find!

4 461
 03-10-2017, 03:26 AM
User Info
Very nice indeed.  Enjoy!

2 549