08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
This will be the first time I've done this. Where is the best place to order essential oils? How much should I add to a puck of soap or a tub of cream? I appreciate the insight.

116 3,804
 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
I'd be curious about this myself.

0 123
 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Krissy should be able to help on that. Try one drop of EO at a time until you get the desired scent. You don't want to add so much that the scent is overpowering or that your skin gets irritated.

2 11,211
 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Were I buy essential oils might differ from where you want to order, just because of the cost of shipping but also I am buying in larger quantities than you would want to order as well.

I would suggest reputable companies rather than from sites that are not well known. Look for reviews on the product as well, or reviews on the site as a general rule.

But this is one company I do order from but they do have a $30 minimum order or they add on an extra fee for less than that.
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Ess...-Oils.aspx

Brambleberry is another company I would suggest and I order from this company as well. But some scents can't be mailed USPS because of their flashpoint. That is a law not something they choose to do out of spite. Anything that has a high alcohol content such as colognes or aftershaves also fall under this rule as well. So shipping may be higher because of that.
http://www.brambleberry.com/Essential-Oils-C157.aspx

But with any of these companies your going to pay a lot more per ounce to order a small amount than you would per ounce for a pound. However your not going to need much at all.

Pipettes is another thing you will want to add to your cart to use as they are plastic droppers. Just wash with some soapy water and rinse with clear water several times and let air dry between uses.

Also if your not familiar with essential oils please do research before ordering any. While they are natural that does NOT mean they are safe. To many they are simply unregulated drugs and not just a nice scent. This is especially true if you have any health conditions or there is a female around who may use them especially if they are nursing or pregnant.

Are you wanting to add to the whole puck or to the whole jar of cream or just enough for the shave itself leaving the rest unscented? That answer will depend on what suggestions I make. If you want to add to the entire puck or jar of cream also depends on the soap itself and the consistency of the cream. So I'll wait for your reply before continuing.

7 405
 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I knew we could count on you, Krissy. Biggrin

2 11,211
 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Hi Krissy,

Thanks for the response. Obviously I'm not Dave, but I too would like to try adding some EOs, but to the shea butter I use. I'd prefer to do it on a per application basis.
Is that possible?
Thanks and I'm sure Dave will be back with his answers soon.

Mark

(08-14-2012, 11:47 AM)krissy Wrote: Are you wanting to add to the whole puck or to the whole jar of cream or just enough for the shave itself leaving the rest unscented? That answer will depend on what suggestions I make. If you want to add to the entire puck or jar of cream also depends on the soap itself and the consistency of the cream. So I'll wait for your reply before continuing.

6 135
 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Because your not using a lot of shea at one time and because of it's consistency of the shea itself (it's rather thick/firm) I would suggest getting a small container and adding a bit of shea to it, and adding a few drops of your EO mixing it in well. You don't want to add much because they can irritate the skin if you add to much.

If you really want to add per application basis put a little shea in a small bowl, add a drop or two (not much more than that) and mix in. Then use it as desired.

Here are some suggestions when using EO's from the Brambleberry site.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Guidelines-f...s-W24.aspx

That just reinforces the fact that they are nothing to play with and can be dangerous. If it can take off furniture finish out of the bottle just think what it can do to your skin!

7 405
 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wow Krissy thanks for the expertise. I'd like enough to do one full tub of cream as well as a couple of melted pucks of VDH. I was thinking about Lime. How much do you think I need? Thanks again for the expertise!!

116 3,804
 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Which cream (brand) are you wanting to do? And what is the consistency of it? How many ounces is in your jar of cream?

Just to confirm with you that your VHD puck is the 2.5 oz puck because the amount I recommend to use for both depends on how much of the soap/cream you have to scent.

7 405