02-15-2017, 02:15 AM
User Info
I have a few ER 100 brushes I would really like to restore some depth to certain letters which are worn off from time or accidentally sanded down during restore.

I am concerned using a Dremel with extremely small/fine bits is too risky for such fine work, but again that is how engraving is done, right?

Here is a picture of some very small and fine bits I think might work on the various Font sizes on the handle, but dont know if they would only work with an engraving tool or if you could do it by hand.

Thoughts, comments, experience?

[Image: iYZeY8e.jpg]

39 275
 02-15-2017, 07:12 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Reverend, I too have been wondering lately if that can be done and by whom. One or two of mine just need to have the lettering re-painted but my hand isn't steady enough. I hope some people who can do this responds. I may not go ahead with it anytime in the very near future but I'd like to be able to make a note of who to contact when I'm ready.

7 2,327
 02-15-2017, 07:40 AM
User Info
I haven't tried, but you could always pick up a few cheap brushes from your favorite online auction site to gives it a shot, and perfect your technique. Seems like it should work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337
 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info
I not certain the intent of my post is being understood. I am not concerned with painting the letters, I want to make the letters deeper again on the handle so they are more present for painting at a later point.

39 275
 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
I never tried it. 

I would practice on a piece of scrap plastic or something else first to get the hang of it before doing it.

It should be possible. 

Alternatively I would also think that either an exacto knife or small file could be used. The practice first thing would also be something I'd do before going at a brush.

The handle is hollow on those. Don't go too deep. Just enough to get the paint on. 

I don't think it would bother me enough to try it though. Which is why I haven't.

9 1,408
 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
User Info
(02-15-2017, 08:59 AM)hillbillyreverend Wrote: I not certain the intent of my post is being understood. I am not concerned with painting the letters, I want to make the letters deeper again on the handle so they are more present for painting at a later point.

My previous post was aimed at answering this. Try it out on a handle you don't care too much about first. Though sorry I don't have personal experience. Another member also mentioned, don't go to deep--I agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337
 02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
User Info
(02-15-2017, 07:12 AM)Mouser Wrote: Reverend, I too have been wondering lately if that can be done and by whom. One or two of mine just need to have the tettering re-painted but my hand isn't steady enough. I hope some people who can do this respond. I may not go ahead with it anytime in the very near future but I'd like to be able to make a note of who to contact when I'm ready.

Mouser, 
As for how to re-paint the lettering on a brush; I generously paint the lettering on the brush and let it dry for a few minutes (10 - 20). Then I use a piece of folded news paper to wipe most of excess from around lettering, then let paint completely dry (~ 24 hours). I follow this with polishing the area with more news paper. It does work pretty well, though I got this tip from someone else, but can't remember who to give credit. Here's an example I've done.
[Image: 0lTyxzB.jpg]

0 596
 02-17-2017, 07:24 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-15-2017, 09:08 PM)GreeneMD Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 07:12 AM)Mouser Wrote: Reverend, I too have been wondering lately if that can be done and by whom. One or two of mine just need to have the tettering re-painted but my hand isn't steady enough. I hope some people who can do this respond. I may not go ahead with it anytime in the very near future but I'd like to be able to make a note of who to contact when I'm ready.

Mouser, 
As for how to re-paint the lettering on a brush; I generously paint the lettering on the brush and let it dry for a few minutes (10 - 20). Then I use a piece of folded news paper to wipe most of excess from around lettering, then let paint completely dry (~ 24 hours). I follow this with polishing the area with more news paper. It does work pretty well, though I got this tip from someone else, but can't remember who to give credit. Here's an example I've done.
[Image: 0lTyxzB.jpg]
Thanks Doctor Greene. Good tip.

7 2,327