02-15-2017, 11:57 AM
User Info
Every time when I am using I Coloniali (and loading this soap for 1 min) is not enough to make even 3 passes.
Many people saying it is one of the best shave soaps and last long time but for me...
I don't understand what I am doing wrong to enjoy slick lather.  
If I will load Stirling, Dr Jon's and almost any other soap it will be monster but not with I Coloniali.
Used silvertip badger 22 & 24mm no improvement.
Used black badger 24mm no improvement.
Semogue boars (2000, 1250, 1800) this same result.
I am in DFW area and I don't know if I have water hard or not.
Recently I read about using destilled water but did not try yet.
Any advise?

1 52
 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Give the distilled water a try, a minute should be enough I think. It does make a thinner lather than most soaps but I do not usually run out of lather.

Cheers, Steve

7 471
 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
Life is too short to use something that just doesn't work, you say you have no trouble with other soaps, use them and move on.

0 147
 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
That's odd.  Are you using the stuff in the silver tube?  I load for 30 seconds and am good to go.  It's great soap and super slick.

Eric

46 935
 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I agree that it does take a little extra muscle/work to get the protolather going.
Just add a little more water, that usually helps.

57 2,565
 02-16-2017, 02:00 AM
User Info
I hated MWF and Lea Classic. Lather was runny and thin after 10+ minutes of semiwet HEAVY HARD brush loading.

I Coloniali loads very fast for me. 30 seconds and my brush is fully loaded. Same with Nuavia.

I will repeat myself here.

1. Soaps are not all made with clone like perfection. It will vary from batch to batch, not only artisan soaps, but all soaps

2. We have all different chemicals in our skin and water, that will influence (sometimes destroy) the soap lather before we even manage to build the lather up.

24 5,858
 02-16-2017, 08:04 AM
User Info
I have been using distilled water for years and there is no soap or cream which does not produce great lather.  It generally costs about $.99 a gallon.  Soak your brush in it before shaving.

0 237
 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM
User Info
(02-16-2017, 02:00 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I hated MWF and Lea Classic. Lather was runny and thin after 10+ minutes of semiwet HEAVY HARD brush loading.

I Coloniali loads very fast for me. 30 seconds and my brush is fully loaded. Same with Nuavia.

I will repeat myself here.

1. Soaps are not all made with clone like perfection. It will vary from batch to batch, not only artisan soaps, but all soaps

2. We have all different chemicals in our skin and water, that will influence (sometimes destroy) the soap lather before we even manage to build the lather up.

I really have to agree here.  The shaving creams that I make vary from batch to batch even with the same exact sourced ingredients and manufacturing processes.  Room humidity, I think, is the one controlling factor I cannot really control.  I have found that since shaving soaps and creams are high in glycerin, they absorbe water in high humidity conditions.

0 135
 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM
User Info
I have the same issue with this soap. I often have to go back to the terra-cotta bowl after the first pass even.
I am not sure how long i load for, I don't really time it. I just go by gut feeling and what looks good to me.

My puck is extremely hard and I think that may be the culprit. Some people have mentioned that theirs is soft or at least can be pressed. Not the case with me as it's rock hard.
Regardless I still get a very slick lather from it. Definitely not the thickest compared to other soaps but still very slick.
My advice to you is to start with a little bit damper brush than usual OR keep adding drops of water as you go until you see the brush covered with lather.

Someone have told me to bloom the puck but I've never tried this method with any soap before and probably won't. Good luck! Keep us posted

10 770
 02-16-2017, 06:03 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-16-2017, 08:21 AM)asiliski Wrote: Room humidity, I think, is the one controlling factor I cannot really control.  I have found that since shaving soaps and creams are high in glycerin, they absorbe water in high humidity conditions.

Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing.

57 2,565
 02-17-2017, 03:10 AM
User Info
Try using the "Marco method": load the brush with warm water, and load for one for minute using light pressure swirls. The idea is lots of water, lots of soap and lots of swirls. He learned this method from an old barber, if I remember correctly. It has never failed me.

6 283
 02-17-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
Thank you for all suggestions.
My soap is very hard like stone (terra-cotta bowl). I always soak my brush before start loading in warm water.
I will try to use "Marco method" during this weekend.
This is first time when I have little issue with shave soap.
I will report my results.
Thanks for all inputs.

Rob

1 52
 02-18-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
Marco method is working. First time I produce enough lather to shave with 4 passes.
Maybe next time I try distilled water.

Thank you guys

Rob

1 52
 02-22-2017, 07:43 AM
User Info
less than 30 seconds with a wet brush and I've never had a problem at getting enough soap for a two pass shave. This soap is thirsty so I only "flick" the brush once after soaking it and this soap really shines!

8 192
 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM
User Info
(02-22-2017, 07:43 AM)Batmanacci Wrote: less than 30 seconds with a wet brush and I've never had a problem at getting enough soap for a two pass shave. This soap is thirsty so I only "flick" the brush once after soaking it and this soap really shines!

Ditto...wonderful performance for me.  This thread also reminds me I haven't used it in over a year! That will be fixed soon.  [Image: cool.gif]

73 4,269