02-15-2017, 01:57 PM
User Info
I now have four razors--an 1951 Aristocrat, a gold Gillette Tech without a date code, and 1952 Gillette made-in-Canada Tech, and a 1974 Super adjustable. I have been rotating them, but I like the Canadian made Tech so much, I'm going to use just that for a while. Have others--many of you with much larger collections--simply settled on a go-to razor and stopped rotating?

0 89
 02-15-2017, 02:29 PM
User Info
I have accumulated around 45-50 different razors and really enjoy the variety. Each razor I have can usually offer something another one can't. Some are aggressive, some are forgiving, some are mild mannered, and others demand excessive amounts of attention to avoid "uh-ohs." The only reason I would (reluctantly) name any of my razor a go-to would be out of necessity. With that, if I'm in a huge hurry and want a no frills, no mishaps, shave with my eyes closed shave...I suppose I'd have to choose the Muhle R89 Grande.

7 79
 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
User Info
Some people have the same meal for lunch every day.

Who am I to judge?

Everyone is different. I have my moods. Sometimes I use a razor once and then switch to another the next day. Sometimes I use a particular razor for months.

Usually I switch razors each time I use a new blade.

10 1,455
 02-15-2017, 03:28 PM
User Info
My ATT S2 is my go to razor
My Gillette Travel Tech is my travel razor
The rest dont see that much rotation, and are eventually sold off (unless they can unseat one of the two first mentioned razors..)

1 112
 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM
User Info
I tend to try a new razor and then decide to add it to my rotation or not . I rotate around 12-14 razors at any one time with about 6 razors always in the loop . I have aggressive and mild razors in the rotation and tend to chose which one to use based on whim. I do have favorites not always based on performance , some have sentimental value like my family heirloom razors or at other times I'll choose to have SE Sunday or Italian Thursday or remembering my father  by using his Slim on his birthday . The trying of new razors or visiting old favorites for me brings the joy to shaving. Same thing goes for the blade, soap and brush I pick for each shave , I like the variety and the combinations possible for each shave. 

Glenn

2 50
 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
My answer is "Yes."

The go-to razor in my den is a Weber PH. Occasionally I use a SE just because, but for a DE nothing is better than the Weber on my face.

60 1,626
 02-15-2017, 04:30 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I rotate 3 razors. I mainly use my Wolfman, but I'll usually use a different razor 1 or 2 days a week depending on my mood. I would honestly be fine with just one razor as I'm usually a find what works and stick with it type of person, but I do like to have a little variety on occasion.

3 584
 02-15-2017, 08:27 PM
User Info
No                  .

8 1,210
 02-15-2017, 08:55 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have multiple brushes and razors. I use the same method of rotation for both. I use carousels. After I use and clean a brush or razor it gets replace in it's slot and the carousel is moved to the next position for the next shave.
[Image: lzhen84.jpg][Image: KnpAvPl.jpg]

70 1,098
 02-15-2017, 10:49 PM
User Info
I have about 10 razors but typically settle into a rotation of about 3 razors.  I'll use whichever one I feel like grabbing that day with one of the three taking up about 50% of the shaves.  The rotation gets disrupted when a new razor enters the den -- I might stick with that one for a while and then the 3 primary razors might change depending on how I like that razor.

I've been having really great shaves with the SE razors I have (Rx and Cobra) so things are starting to narrow down further for me.  I doubt I'll ever be down to one razor though -- I enjoy trying new ones too much!

19 1,787
 02-16-2017, 03:35 AM
User Info
I change razors every day.  I am up to 10 at the moment and looking for more!

1 161
 02-16-2017, 04:38 AM
User Info
(02-15-2017, 08:55 PM)Barrylu Wrote: I have multiple brushes and razors. I use the same method of rotation for both. I use carousels. After I use and clean a brush or razor it gets replace in it's slot and the carousel is moved to the next position for the next shave.
That is an impressive collection. Must have cost thousands to acquire. But aren't  really just three different basic models of DE razors: Tech, TTO, and Adjustable? It seems that all models are variations of those three, at least for Gillette. It's hard to believe that there could be that much difference from one to the other.

0 89
 02-16-2017, 05:08 AM
User Info
(02-16-2017, 04:38 AM)Ilnones Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 08:55 PM)Barrylu Wrote: I have multiple brushes and razors. I use the same method of rotation for both. I use carousels. After I use and clean a brush or razor it gets replace in it's slot and the carousel is moved to the next position for the next shave.
That is an impressive collection. Must have cost thousands to acquire. But aren't  really just three different basic models of DE razors: Tech, TTO, and Adjustable? It seems that all models are variations of those three, at least for Gillette. It's hard to believe that there could be that much difference from one to the other.

The NEW line of Gillette is different from the Tech line, some more than others imo. Even within lines there are significant differences. I personally do not enjoy post war techs, generally speaking, pre war are awesome. And even between pre war techs, I find differences between Canadian and American versions; I recon I am splitting hairs there ...
Another example are English vs American Gillettes. There are very big differences. The American lc NEW is fine, but the Brit variation is fenomenal (only a hand full of shaves in)

Then you have non Gillette vintage, modern, se, injectors ... Lots of variety ...

8 1,210
 02-16-2017, 05:31 AM
User Info
Between straight, SE and DE, i have about 20 razors.  i mostly use the straights to shave my neck and my cheeks (because i have a beard, jeje).  Usually my safety razors take care of my head.  Face in the morning, head at night = double the fun.

I began rotating in order, so every razor saw some action.  Same with brush, soap, bowl, aftershave and balm.  But now i go from one to the other depending on mood.  Its the same with music.  I play music ever so softly while i shave.  Depending on the day i have in front of me i play Vivaldi, or Bon Jovi, or Al Jareau (rip), or El Gran Combo.  So, lately i found myself associating moods to music to razors etc... jeje... For example, if i want to relax and take it easy:  its Kenny G, rockwell 6s and silk pajamas shannon´s soap.  If i am going to pick a jury for a murder one case, it is AC/DC, Asylum Rx, and Dr. Harris.

One a day seems to me like a straight jacket.  I understand it.  I did it for a time.  I even like to spread the action among my razors.  But i do it in a relax and free kind of way...  

Btw, Barrylu:  wow!!!

0 479
 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Actually that is an old picture. Razors now are One Blade,Asylum RX, ATT SE, Feather AS D2, Rockwell 6s, with the new Rockwell T on order. The brushes are up a Two tier holder and a three tier holder. The brushes have really gotten to be too much and need thinning. It is just too hard to know which ones I would be willing to part with. As a matter of fact I just added the TSN Thater and am expecting my second Wilborg next week. You are right thousands but on the other hand look at all the money I am saving on Carts. I find each razor and brush to be subtly different from each other. Furthermore different combinations of razor and brush seem to be different. On the other hand it may be all rationalization but my wife believed it.

70 1,098
 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM
User Info
(02-16-2017, 07:47 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
Actually that is an old picture. Razors now are One Blade,Asylum RX, ATT SE, Feather AS D2, Rockwell 6s, with the new Rockwell T on order. The brushes are up a Two tier holder and a three tier holder. The brushes have really gotten to be too much and need thinning. It is just too hard to know which ones I would be willing to part with. As a matter of fact I just added the TSN Thater and am expecting my second Wilborg next week. You are right thousands but on the other hand look at all the money I am saving on Carts. I find each razor and brush to be subtly different from each other. Furthermore different combinations of razor and brush seem to be different. On the other hand it may be all rationalization but my wife believed it.

This morning I shaved half my face with the 1952 Tech and the other half with the 1951 Aristocrat. The feel of the razors in the hand was different, but the actual shave seemed identical. Still, the different models are fascinating, and I'm sure I will continue to collect, although not at your pace. Unlike many other collectors, we collector of vintage razors actually use what we collect.

0 89
 02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I presently have 13 DEs. I lately tend to use my pre war Techs and one particular Red Tip. So my main DE rotation is 3. The other DE razors that get used once or twice a month are iKon 101, X3, and a Merkur/Weber Frankenrazor. But I also rotate in four SEs; 2 particular Schick injectors and 2 Featherweights.

7 2,357