02-16-2017, 07:39 AM
User Info
I have an Ikon X-3 Slant in my rotation.  The angle of attack is different from any other DE razor that i have used.  Is this common to all slants?  Or, is this common to all Ikons?
My first two impressions were that it was too aggressive for my neck, and that it was too mild for my head, but that i know its a shaving technique thing.  I will stick to it for at least two dozen shaves as Meles suggests.  I thank you for your responses!

0 479
 02-16-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
A slant cuts at an angle much like a guillotine. The angle is supposed to be more efficient at cutting the hair than a standard DE from what I've read to date. This is however a YMMV area though. I have a Murker 37C and like the way it shaves very much. It is more aggressive than most straight bar razors and I think thats only because of how the head torques the blade and, imo, keeps the blade more tensioned and less prone to blade flex or skipping. Through reading on other slants offered, not all are created equal. Some use head geometry to to torque the blade while others use the base to do it.

I will say its not in the same level of aggressiveness than my R41, but it was definitely more aggressive than my Maggard V3, PAA DOC Chrome, and any of my vintage Gillette's that I had. The 37C and R41 are the only 2 DE's I have in my rotation at this time. I preferred both of these because I generally shave with a very steep angle and they seem to be the most efficient being used like that. Do keep in mind that you are to shave no differently with a slant as you do a standard DE. The slant was designed to cut the way Gillette explained using the Gillette slide without actually doing the slide. I hope this helps...

The Gillette Slide – this technique is a slightly different cross between a WTG and ATG stroke. Starting with the razor in position to make a WTG stroke, move the razor down and across in a downwards diagonal motion, keeping the head of the razor perfectly horizontal and the handle pointing directly down vertically, using a normal length stroke. Be careful to move more down than across to avoid slicing the skin with the blade. This technique has the potential to create longer cuts if performed incorrectly and should be approached delicately.

3 84
 02-16-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
Dear Mike;

I thank you for taking the time to explain all this to me.  It is very clear and informative.

By angle of attack i meant the razor against the skin, not against the stroke.  I understand that a guillotine slice will cut more, otherwise a table knife would never cut a steak! jajaja...

The thing is that i found out that the handle of the razor has to be closer to the skin for it to cut hair.  I noticed that the top plate has a more defined curve than all my other razors, therefore, it is necessary to reduce de angle of attack against the skin.  Otherwise, the safety bar does not let the blade to touch your skin.  

What i wanted to find out is if this feature is common to all slants, or all ikons.

0 479
 02-17-2017, 01:44 PM
User Info
It is certainly not common to all iKon razors. 

I've never owned a true slant (I did have the iKon 102, but that's just a canted head), so I don't know if this is common to slant razors or not.

2 1,547
 02-21-2017, 08:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I use my X3 pretty much as I use my other DEs. Just need to be a bit slower and with more attention, as it will bite if you're not careful.

7 2,354