02-16-2017, 11:39 AM
User Info
Using a dull razor is painful - about like using tweezers to shave.  

Sharpening a straight razor is essential to its use, and takes special skill.  Over the last fifty years, the multi bladed Gillette and electric razors have separated the sharpening skill from shavers, so I have struggled to learn on my own as my grandfathers died long ago.  There is a lot of misinformation about sharpening a straight razor, and there are even more false claims about making the perfect shaving edge with mysterious regimens on expensive rocks.  There is no shortage of opinions on the world wide web, but it has been difficult for me to separate the true from false information.  I have found that most knife makers, and even razor makers, do not know how to make a "razor sharp edge".  

I bought my first straight razor, a gaudy Craftsman (made in Solingen), about fifteen years ago and tried the sharpening process a few times over the years, but stalled in desperation (and tears of pain).  My razor was sharp enough to "shave" the hair off my arm, but that is far from being sharp enough to prevent painful tugging on tough whiskers attached to sensitive facial skin.  An electric razor did the job - sort of.  At least it didn't hurt.  Then - to Hell with it - I grew a beard, another problem.

I have finally polished a shaving edge onto some of my straight razors, so I have been using them for a few months now.  Needless to say, I bought too many razors, stones, strops, soaps, brushes, magnifying mirrors, lotions and scents.  I was trying.  How else does one learn?  I have also learned the ancient barber's practice of "letting blood" as I slashed away at my face while acquiring the muscle memory to shave safely.  Water adds drama to the bleeding.  I slashed a few strops too!  Now that I can use all the paraphernalia, I am able to simplify the "stuff".  This is simplicity on the far side of complexity!  Like being a neurosurgeon, it's easy when you know how.

I have posted some photos of my SOTD and here I am introducing myself to this community. 

Oh, that beard I have in the photo?  It's was real.  Now it's gone. 

Clive

1 13
 02-16-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info
Glad to have you on board.i am still trying to learn how to hone my razors to do the HHT . But i have only successfully done that with one straight.

Anyway welcome to the forum i hope you enjoy TSN  Biggrin

2 315
 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 727
 02-16-2017, 03:30 PM
User Info
Welcome Clive and enjoy the forum.

119 13,018
 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
User Info
Welcome Clive;

My story is not too different.  I too find it all almost like alchemy.  Wasted hours on end trying to figure out meaning out of cryptic words and videos.  And I started all that in the peak of the communications era.  I don't want to imagine it without the www etc... 

Welcome to a very interesting group of people.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
User Info
Welcome. TSN is a great place to exchange info and stories.  Glad you joined!

15 1,179
 02-16-2017, 10:24 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Shave Nook, Clive.

1 401
 02-17-2017, 03:34 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN Clive.  I recall from one of your SOTD pictures that you have a nice ivory Doug Korn D7 custom brush with a boar knot.  We're glad you joined and look forward to your participation.

48 5,719
 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

26 4,896
 02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
Hello Clive, welcome to: " The Shave Nook "  Relax & Enjoy.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 02-21-2017, 09:10 PM
User Info
Clive, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 4,269