08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Disclaimers
1. I am not Synthetics user, this is my first ever try with any synthetic brush. I may not be the right person to review this but it's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
2. Don't mind my reflection in the shiny brushes, I am not naked Blush

I've been wondering about this brush for at least a couple of months. I would never believe any overhyped reviews until I've actually used a product and formed my own opinion. It's been haunting me without mercy and I finally gave in and placed an order.

Price
At $32 delivered is not a bad price for a brush, so it wasn't a hard decision.

Size
This brush is huge, I mean when you read dimensions, you know it, but still very hard to imagine the size of it.
If you are familiar with Omega Pro boar brush, I've shot this for comparison:
[Image: IeHpuh.jpg]

These 2 shots also compare it with my 24mm Silvertip custom and Semogue 1305:
[Image: CHzG4h.jpg]
[Image: wJlLDh.jpg]

Handle
I liked the handle, I'd prefer it to be just a little smaller but very ergonomic and felt right in my hand.

Knot
Now we've arrived to the most important part of the brush. I really wish I could be more enthusiastic on this part of my review but I can't.
Strong backbone. When this brush is dry the fibers feel very soft, velvety-like. As soon as I got it wet the fibers got "springy", for the lack of better word I will try to explain... When you put it to your face and try to push it in, the fibers won't fan out, they just spring back. I hope it's making sense Rolleyes

Shave Test
Picked Cade for my soap, very easy to lather with any brush. Sledgehammer Slant for my cutting instrument:
[Image: 8CTzqh.jpg]

Brush is wet:
[Image: Y7o1xh.jpg]

Brush loaded very easy, took it to my face to build the lather. I'll say it again - this brush is huge and with those springy, prickly things was very hard to build a lather. I would do one more test with bowl lathering but I really don't want to Confused

Ready:
[Image: rne0ah.jpg]
[Image: 71bvdh.jpg]

After one pass:
[Image: dxRT2h.jpg]
[Image: SN0sfh.jpg]

After two passes:
[Image: ZzS8bh.jpg]
[Image: 75I3yh.jpg]

As you can see the fibers are stuck together and there is not much lather left to work with.

Conclusion
I don't like it...
It would be just OK if you used it to "paint" the lather on your face. Can't possibly see how it would be pleasurable to face lather.

Since I haven't used any other synthetic, feel free to chime in and let me know if you experience the same things with your other synthetic brushes.

88 4,233
 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review.

I cannot remember my experiences with a synthetic, but it wasn't like pulling teeth. I just remember it being "uneventful" and un-memorable. Ended up selling it. It was an EJ synthetic.

Never understood all the hype either.

If people really wanted, they could just buy some $35 silvertips from China. $40 for good natural hair isn't that hard to achieve I would imagine.

9 2,988
 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-14-2012, 02:29 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Thanks for the review.

I cannot remember my experiences with a synthetic, but it wasn't like pulling teeth. I just remember it being "uneventful" and un-memorable. Ended up selling it. It was an EJ synthetic.

Never understood all the hype either.

If people really wanted, they could just buy some $35 silvertips from China. $40 for good natural hair isn't that hard to achieve I would imagine.

And it would be 3 times the brush.

There was not a time where I didn't want to use a brush at least twice. I guess there is a first time for everything Tongue

88 4,233
 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
User Info
Beartrap, your preferences & techniques are similar to mine so this review helps to cement my thoughts. I'll continue to see what others say but I'll be avoiding this brush for the time being. Thanks again for giving of your time & money to share this information with us all. Good luck with your pending sale.

31 7,914
 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
  • AML
User Info
I bought this brush as my first brush. My reasons were 2:
1) I do not want to put dead animal hair on my face (not trying to be contentious, let's just leave it at that).
2) There has been a lot of hype on this brush. It is frequently talked about as the best synthetic brush.

Whether this is the best synthetic brush or not, I do not know. I started our ordering a Muhle silver tip fibre in a 19 mm. But by the time they were done taxing me and adding shipping cost it was near a $70 purchase (direct from Muhle). So instead I got on Amazon and purchased the HIS with free shipping and also bought a Muhle travel container for $10 + shipping.

I have no idea whether this brush is better or worse than other synthetics, but here is what I can say. As a 5'10 man with normal sized hands for my height, the brush handle is so large I cannot comfortably reach the knot with my fingers when the bottom of the handle is against my palm. Secondly for those familiar with the Muhle travel container (It is huge), the brush will only fit in there if a rubber band is place around the bristles (which doesn't seem smart?) or if it is wet.

In short, I cannot judge the performance, I just wish in retrospect I had gone with a significantly smaller brush size!

0 10
 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
Well, AML, for people who share the same views as you, there really isn't a good alternative other than horse hair. I believe horse is cut from the animal's tail or mane (correct me if I'm wrong gents).

As such, I don't see anything wrong at all with buying a HIS.

For the rest of us, unless we want a quick drying brush, I really see no point in buying a synthetic. Unless we want something that performs significantly differently without breaking the bank, but you can still buy 2 band finest from China for even less than silvertip. And there's still boar and horse.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, everyone's got their own.

9 2,988
 08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
Well, i am waiting on the same brush, but with the clear handle. i think you may need some time for it to "break in".
i have the Frank Shaving Synthetic brush 24mm and i find it an amazingly soft and comfortable brush. It face-lathers very easily and the fibres are "springy", but not uncomfortable as you describe this one to be. i am also getting the Muhle Silvertip fibre 23mm and i have the HJM sythetic 19mm brush which is extremely soft, but i prefer the Frank Shaving brush. Both the Frank Shaving and the HJM build enormous amounts of lather with very little product. You may want to "break in" the brush for a week or so and then try it out. i will report back on my H.I.S brush when i receive it. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-15-2012, 03:32 AM
User Info
Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with this brush, but for me it is the main brush in my small rotation and see's regular use. I have had about a dozen or so brushes in the last 6 months, and this is still my goto. I will admit it is large, but it is something I have gotten used to, and there is a break in period where the bristles begin to splay better. But nothing is more efficient at creating great lather and using less product for me than this. Last week I tried my other 3 brushes face lathering with a Spieck stick, and they all only produced enough lather for 2 passes, then I had to reapply the stick to finish up. The H.I.S. covered me for all 3, and 2 more using the same amount of soap as 2 passes on the other brushes. And I am still amazed at how soft the bristles are.

I have a badger, boar and horse in my rotation but if I could only keep 1 the H.I.S. would be it. Best bang for the buck, and just an exceptional brush IMO. I will admit it is a little different due to size and performance, but once I got the hang of using it, it has become my favorite brush.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on the classifieds here. Sounds like I may be able to pick up a couple of backups!

7 40
 08-15-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
The other positive thing about the H.I.S. when traveling with it is that if you hold it by the bristles then you can fend off would be muggers with the handle. Just saying. Hmm

31 7,914
 08-15-2012, 04:26 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
My experience differ too. I get a lot of lather and good splay with this brush. It's soft and comfortable for me to use. It is a big brush. Each to their own and as with most things related to shaving, YMMV.

12 743
 08-15-2012, 04:33 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
+1 for me. I couldn't have said it better.

I still adore my badgers, boars and horses but the H.I.S. seems to win out when I want a super lather, quick dry, no worry brush kinda day.

(08-15-2012, 03:32 AM)jdjones Wrote: Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with this brush, but for me it is the main brush in my small rotation and see's regular use. I have had about a dozen or so brushes in the last 6 months, and this is still my goto. I will admit it is large, but it is something I have gotten used to, and there is a break in period where the bristles begin to splay better. But nothing is more efficient at creating great lather and using less product for me than this. Last week I tried my other 3 brushes face lathering with a Spieck stick, and they all only produced enough lather for 2 passes, then I had to reapply the stick to finish up. The H.I.S. covered me for all 3, and 2 more using the same amount of soap as 2 passes on the other brushes. And I am still amazed at how soft the bristles are.

I have a badger, boar and horse in my rotation but if I could only keep 1 the H.I.S. would be it. Best bang for the buck, and just an exceptional brush IMO. I will admit it is a little different due to size and performance, but once I got the hang of using it, it has become my favorite brush.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on the classifieds here. Sounds like I may be able to pick up a couple of backups!

6 905
 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It is definitely YMMV... I stand by my opinion that a person with experience in using other brushes cannot possible be happy with it.
And just for that reason I will be doing a H.I.S pass around. I will create a new thread and set the requirements. If there is enough interest, I will ship it out next week. 3-4 months tour will do it good, plus we will get opinions of people that would never otherwise buy this brush.

88 4,233
 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
(08-15-2012, 09:07 AM)beartrap Wrote: It is definitely YMMV... I stand by my opinion that a person with experience in using other brushes cannot possible be happy with it.
And just for that reason I will be doing a H.I.S pass around. I will create a new thread and set the requirements. If there is enough interest, I will ship it out next week. 3-4 months tour will do it good, plus we will get opinions of people that would never otherwise buy this brush.

* SharpSpine looks around behind him

Who me??? Laughing1 Biggrin

31 7,914
 08-15-2012, 09:17 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-15-2012, 09:16 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 09:07 AM)beartrap Wrote: It is definitely YMMV... I stand by my opinion that a person with experience in using other brushes cannot possible be happy with it.

* SharpSpine looks around behind him

Who me??? Laughing1 Biggrin

My first thought! You got it Biggrin

88 4,233
 08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
  • AML
User Info
(08-15-2012, 04:16 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: The other positive thing about the H.I.S. when traveling with it is that if you hold it by the bristles then you can fend off would be muggers with the handle. Just saying. Hmm

LOL! I will keep this in mind. On a serious note, perhaps at the price point and durability of this brush, I can throw it in a small ziplock bag and place it in my travel kit without giving it a second thought. I may try that for an upcoming trip later this month.

If this brush had a handle about an inch shorter, it would probably be perfect, I will keep enjoying it and seeing if I like the size better with time.

It does hold heat really well. I bowl lather with a big mug that I set in the sink with hot water halfway up it. Each pass is still nice, warm, and smile-inducing. I cannot compare to a badger since this is my first brush but I find it amazing that even lather #3, the brush still produces a warm lather (again, I keep the brush in the mug which is setting in the sink with hot water). The warmth is nice enough that I wish my whiskers grew in fast enough to warrant a daily shave (instead of every 2-3 days).

0 10
 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
User Info
I have been using an Ever-Ready handle with a TGN synth knot for a while and enjoy it. I also have a Frank 21mm on the way. Are the H.I.S. synthetic knots the same material as these, just on a larger scale?

Dave

7 138
 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
(08-15-2012, 11:54 AM)DavidB Wrote: I have been using an Ever-Ready handle with a TGN synth knot for a while and enjoy it. I also have a Frank 21mm on the way. Are the H.I.S. synthetic knots the same material as these, just on a larger scale?

Dave

I believe that they basically are, but I've read that there is some difference other than the fibres being longer and having a thicker knot. I'll leave the details for Gary to explain.

31 7,914
 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
Beartrap, what a generous offer to do the pass-around. Well done.

75 20,883