02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
User Info
I got an e-mail this morning from Bullgoose saying that the Asylum Evolution razor is now available.  I went to the site and looked at it and it's a BEAUTY!  

I'm very tempted by this beast, but right now am trying to pay down some debts and so I am not buying anything unless I can fund it with sales of things I already have.  

Anyway, I came here fully expecting to see a thread about this razor and was surprised when I didn't find one.   Anybody bought one yet?  Any thoughts about the razor now that you can see multiple views of it at the Bullgood website?

2 1,553
 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
User Info
OK, so I went back to the website and I see now that it has already sold out!  So I guess some of you guys certainly DID pony up the cash!   Come out of the woodwork.  

I can't wait for the reviews.

2 1,553
 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
User Info
There were 2 different threads on the razor. One announcing the razors designs and one announcing its release.

49 356
 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
User Info
(02-17-2017, 09:31 AM)jhawlz Wrote: There were 2 different threads on the razor. One announcing the razors designs and one announcing its release.

And I expect more threads when the razors arrive at those lucky guys who managed to snag one Smile

3 4,677
 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
User Info
Mine will be here today, I'll try to post pics when I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,011
 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM
User Info
I passed on the first round. I just bought a wolfman this month and wanted to see some reviews first. But it sure is purdy. Can't wait to see what people think after a few shaves.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 335
 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
(02-17-2017, 09:31 AM)jhawlz Wrote: There were 2 different threads on the razor. One announcing the razors designs and one announcing its release.

Aware.  

I just thought that somebody would've come on here to post that the razors were now available.  It surprised me that that hadn't happened.

2 1,553
 02-17-2017, 02:28 PM
User Info
My Evolution arrived today and it is a very nice looking razor. I will be trying it out tomorrow. I had been keeping up with the progress of the razor on FaceBook.

10 169
 02-17-2017, 02:42 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Heres mine.  I must say pictures do not do this razor justice.  Looking forward to tomorrow's shave. 

[Image: EVRuJwX.jpg]

13 154
 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
User Info
The quality of the razor is outstanding. I was really surprised at how small it is.

10 169
 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM
User Info
Nice! I'm foregoing my plans for a polished Blackbird, I'm looking forward to reading the reviews!

11 1,170
 02-17-2017, 05:49 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
(02-17-2017, 03:15 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: The quality of the razor is outstanding. I was really surprised at how small it is.

I too was surprised at the size. For some reason I thought it would be larger, but I was very pleasantly surprised that it was more in line with vintage razors than modern. Which makes sense since it is based off a vintage razor. YMMV but I'm not particularly fond of the new trend towards overly heavy and overly long razors. Here it is next to a Mergress for scale--very slightly shorter and of course narrower handle and much lighter. I think Evolution was around 77 grams and Mergress about 110.

[Image: f509716ad5633e1965f0ca4270b9337b.jpg]

13 154
 02-17-2017, 05:53 PM
User Info
(02-17-2017, 05:49 PM)Manning Wrote:
(02-17-2017, 03:15 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: The quality of the razor is outstanding. I was really surprised at how small it is.

I too was surprised at the size. For some reason I thought it would be larger, but I was very pleasantly surprised that it was more in line with vintage razors than modern. Which makes sense since it is based off a vintage razor. YMMV but I'm not particularly fond of the new trend towards overly heavy and overly long razors.  Here it is next to a Mergress for scale--very slightly shorter and of course narrower handle and much lighter. I think Evolution was around 77 grams and Mergress about 110.

[Image: f509716ad5633e1965f0ca4270b9337b.jpg]

Thanks for that picture.  Really helps one to understand the scale of it. I like it!

21 1,805
 02-17-2017, 06:31 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I ordered one this morning, as soon as I heard they were available. How is it some already have possession of theirs? Did I miss an earlier announcement, or was there an early release for a special few customers?

43 1,705
 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(02-17-2017, 06:31 PM)Andrew Wrote: I ordered one this morning, as soon as I heard they were available. How is it some already have possession of theirs? Did I miss an earlier announcement, or was there an early release for a special few customers?

I was involved with testing prototype versions, and Phil was kind enough to send me production version prior to general release.
I paid full retail price, by the way.

102 18,669
 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM
User Info
If you were a member of his Facebook page he offered an early purchase to the first 24 (I think that number is correct) people who provided their names. He had been waiting for package inserts but decided to go ahead and sell the razors in the box with bubblewrap instead of making us wait.

10 169
 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(02-17-2017, 07:41 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: If you were a member of his Facebook page he offered an early purchase to the first 24 (I think that number is correct) people who provided their names. He had been waiting for package inserts but decided to go ahead and sell the razors in the box with bubblewrap instead of making us wait.

Got it. Not a Facebook user, so I wouldn't have known. Thanks for that info.

43 1,705
 02-17-2017, 09:28 PM
User Info
Dear Nookers;

Ok.  I shaved with mine today.  A couple of caveats:  one shave is not nearly enough for one to make an opinion.  on top of that i am a newbie.  i came from straights a couple of months ago.  so, a review from me its worth almost nothing.  jeje...  YMMV, and i am low on mine... still in break in!

on the beauty scale the razor has 10.  it is certainly smaller than what i expected.  then again, it is a tribute to the darwin razor of the 1930´s, so the size its perfect.  but most importantly, the balance its great.  and don't think that the handle its just beautiful.  its quite a piece of engineering.  the shape affords great a grip, even with your hands wet.  it even makes you think that this razor has a ´transmission´.  if you grip the part of the handle that is closest to the razor head, its in first gear.  when you change your grip to the end of the handle, you go to a different planet.  balance is great with both grips.  they are simply different.  i found that i like the short grip for short strokes and buffing, and the long one for longer passes.  

the razor weights in at 77 grams.  13 grams heavier than my Merkur 41C 1904.  Being almost the same size, the Merkur being shorter by very small margin, the evolution feels hefty for the size.  of course, its 303 stainless steel. 

i shaved with Gillette´s Silver Blue.  the first thing i noticed when i put them together was that the openings at the base plate (intended for the water to unclog the blade, sorry, i don't know the term in english) are big enough for you to read the name Gillette in one side, and Silver Blue in the other.  none of my other razors allow that.  and you know how hard it is to keep track of the side you are using.  well, at least it was hard for me. now, it is one less thing to worry about.  i like this feature very much.  and well, of course, the razor is very easy to unclog, having such big ´windows´.

i also like the fact that for all that matters it is an open comb.  i think that phil calls it semi open or something like that.  the fact is that some of the lather stays behind to protect your skin when you buff, and that is always good. 

the other thing that happened when i assembled the razor was:  oh no.  this angle of attack is not going to work for me.  Well, i was wrong.  the angle of attack is perfect.  Very intuitive and natural.  you don't have to think about it at all.  the razor hits that slot every time.  the thing is that i have another razor that has a very curved top plate.  that bends the blade too much for my taste because you need to put the handle way more closer to the skin (shallower angle of attack) for it to cut whiskers.  my first impression when i saw the evolution in my hand was that it was going to have the same problem.  not true.  

i think that phil hit a home run with the level of aggressiveness in the evolution.  it is perfectly balanced.  it is mild enough for you to be able to accelerate if you want.  commit a mistake and you are going to pay for it.  simply put, she lets you know that you have to be careful.  if you are not, you have been notified that she bites.  why i think that phil hit a home run?  because it is so well balanced that technique is what is going to determine if she is mild or aggressive for you.  needless to say this is a subjective thing to the max.  

of all my razors this is the one that talks, or sings, the loudest.  you have audio feedback of every whisker you cut.  i love that.

my shave was two pass and touch up bbs.  but even when it was bbs, it did not last as long as it last with other of my razors.  it lasted for five hours.  when i use my Barbaros and Rocnel, bbs lasts for 12 hours.  well of course.  it is 144 grams.  there is an ever opening blade gap.  she exfoliates... jajaja...  i really expect those five hours to improve when i try feathers and/or kai blades, and when i get used to it an my beginners technique improves.

to summarize, if first impression are worth anything, this was a heck of a first impression. she has a good ticket to become my go to razor, or to say it differently, my everything in the world is right razor.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

P.d.  I am very happy that Phil sold them all in a flash.  I hope they are good business for him and that his investment pays off many times fold.  Anybody knows how much time did it take?  I know that two hours after the announcement they were gone.

0 479
 02-18-2017, 02:14 AM
User Info
Yes it is small but that is the approximate size of the original Darwin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

19 614