02-17-2017, 06:10 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Fresh out of the Box. Very pleased with the weight and feel of this new offering. Superb machining as expected! Here are a few photos. Please feel free to post your arrival shots and experiences.

[Image: xMmD8gJ.jpg]
[Image: YKOLlta.jpg]
[Image: GJgdsQ9.jpg]
[Image: 4wnih16.jpg]
[Image: 3B1I7xU.jpg]

59 4,381
 02-17-2017, 06:26 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Incredible razor.

Attached Files Image(s)

102 18,552
 02-17-2017, 06:57 PM
User Info
(02-17-2017, 06:10 PM)eengler Wrote: Fresh out of the Box. Very pleased with the weight and feel of this new offering. Superb machining as expected! Here are a few photos. Please feel free to post your arrival shots and experiences.

[Image: xMmD8gJ.jpg]
[Image: YKOLlta.jpg]
[Image: GJgdsQ9.jpg]
[Image: 4wnih16.jpg]
[Image: 3B1I7xU.jpg]

Great pictures.  Phil should use these on the Bullgoose site.

13 1,167
 02-17-2017, 07:17 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thank You TomSmile

59 4,381
 02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
User Info
after those pics, who else would post any more? certainly not me!

in the other hand, the experience was very good indeed!

0 479
 02-17-2017, 09:33 PM
User Info
Dear Nookers;

Ok.  I shaved with mine today.  A couple of caveats:  one shave is not nearly enough for one to make an opinion.  on top of that i am a newbie.  i came from straights a couple of months ago.  so, a review from me its worth almost nothing.  jeje...  YMMV, and i am low on mine... still in break in!

on the beauty scale the razor has 10.  it is certainly smaller than what i expected.  then again, it is a tribute to the darwin razor of the 1930´s, so the size its perfect.  but most importantly, the balance its great.  and don't think that the handle its just beautiful.  its quite a piece of engineering.  the shape affords great a grip, even with your hands wet.  it even makes you think that this razor has a ´transmission´.  if you grip the part of the handle that is closest to the razor head, its in first gear.  when you change your grip to the end of the handle, you go to a different planet.  balance is great with both grips.  they are simply different.  i found that i like the short grip for short strokes and buffing, and the long one for longer passes.  

the razor weights in at 77 grams.  13 grams heavier than my Merkur 41C 1904.  Being almost the same size, the Merkur being shorter by very small margin, the evolution feels hefty for the size.  of course, its 303 stainless steel. 

i shaved with Gillette´s Silver Blue.  the first thing i noticed when i put them together was that the openings at the base plate (intended for the water to unclog the blade, sorry, i don't know the term in english) are big enough for you to read the name Gillette in one side, and Silver Blue in the other.  none of my other razors allow that.  and you know how hard it is to keep track of the side you are using.  well, at least it was hard for me. now, it is one less thing to worry about.  i like this feature very much.  and well, of course, the razor is very easy to unclog, having such big ´windows´.

i also like the fact that for all that matters it is an open comb.  i think that phil calls it semi open or something like that.  the fact is that some of the lather stays behind to protect your skin when you buff, and that is always good. 

the other thing that happened when i assembled the razor was:  oh no.  this angle of attack is not going to work for me.  Well, i was wrong.  the angle of attack is perfect.  Very intuitive and natural.  you don't have to think about it at all.  the razor hits that slot every time.  the thing is that i have another razor that has a very curved top plate.  that bends the blade too much for my taste because you need to put the handle way more closer to the skin (shallower angle of attack) for it to cut whiskers.  my first impression when i saw the evolution in my hand was that it was going to have the same problem.  not true.  

i think that phil hit a home run with the level of aggressiveness in the evolution.  it is perfectly balanced.  it is mild enough for you to be able to accelerate if you want.  commit a mistake and you are going to pay for it.  simply put, she lets you know that you have to be careful.  if you are not, you have been notified that she bites.  why i think that phil hit a home run?  because it is so well balanced that technique is what is going to determine if she is mild or aggressive for you.  needless to say this is a subjective thing to the max.  

of all my razors this is the one that talks, or sings, the loudest.  you have audio feedback of every whisker you cut.  i love that.

my shave was two pass and touch up bbs.  but even when it was bbs, it did not last as long as it last with other of my razors.  it lasted for five hours.  when i use my Barbaros and Rocnel, bbs lasts for 12 hours.  well of course.  it is 144 grams.  there is an ever opening blade gap.  she exfoliates... jajaja...  i really expect those five hours to improve when i try feathers and/or kai blades, and when i get used to it an my beginners technique improves.

to summarize, if first impression are worth anything, this was a heck of a first impression. she has a good ticket to become my go to razor, or to say it differently, my everything in the world is right razor.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

P.d.  I am very happy that Phil sold them all in a flash.  I hope they are good business for him and that his investment pays off many times fold.  Anybody knows how much time did it take?  I know that two hours after the announcement they were gone.

0 479
 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM
User Info
 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM
User Info
Beautiful pics, gentlemen. I was able to snag one, am greatly looking forward to its arrival, even more so after seeing these pics!

23 595
 02-17-2017, 11:24 PM
User Info
Great review carlosppena,
as I'm more into SE shaving right now I think I'll wait until them beauties show up in the 2hand market.

0 227
 02-18-2017, 02:10 AM
User Info
I just received my Razor today and will shave with it over the weekend. Out of the box and into the hand this reeks of quality and beauty. Another GREAT JOB PHIL!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

19 571
 02-18-2017, 06:59 AM
User Info
Had my first shave this morning with the Evolution and it was wonderful. The razor feels (and looks) great in hand, I'm really looking forward to my next shave.

16 607
 02-18-2017, 07:15 AM
User Info
I shaved with my Evolution last night (couldn't wait another few hours till morning). I am not experienced at those numbered reviews and I am fairly new to wet shaving (5 months or so) but this is a beautiful razor first and foremost. I was surprised at the size compared to current manufactured razors such as Timeless, which are pretty big and quite hefty. I am not very familiar with older style DE razors so I had no idea what to expect.

I loaded my razor with a new Kai blade and I used Mike's Natural Soap in coconut. I could tell this razor had some aggressiveness to it which made me very mindful of how fast my strokes were. I did (2) with the grain passes and a final clean up pass on the spots around my lower lip and jaw line (always require touchup in these areas). I am a daily shaver due to work although last night was just for fun being that I am off on weekends. After 2 WTG passes plus the clean up pass, I had a very nice BBS shave. In fact, about 11 hours later (right now), I could have actually skipped shaving this morning if I had to go into work.

This is a great razor both in form and function. Definitely a keeper.

9 118
 02-18-2017, 07:32 AM
User Info
Hey Carlos, that was an interesting read. Looking forward to your feedback post few more shaves with the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 703
 02-18-2017, 10:46 AM
User Info
(02-18-2017, 07:32 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Hey Carlos, that was an interesting read. Looking forward to your feedback post few more shaves with the razor.

Dear Jag;

Thank you very much. Next time i will use a kai, then a feather or vise versa. Not that the GSB wasn't good. I just think that to formulate valid opinions i have to let a product be used many times. A razor should be evaluated with different blades and with different soaps. Even deferent amount of passes. Sometimes i figure things out after 20 shaves. Sometimes even more. My bet is that as my technique adapts to this razor, the experience is going to be better and better. We will see.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 02-20-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
I was suppose to get my Asylum Evolution tomorrow (2/21) but all packages were delivered today ahead of the onslaught on Tuesday. So my first impressions of this new creation of an old razor design is positive. The finish is outstanding with no flaws. The handle could be a little longer but it didn't bother me at all. The grip is excellent and the Feather blade I loaded locks in perfectly even and secure. Although I shaved this morning does anybody think I wasn't going to give it a spin. Two passes using Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 (which btw is an excellent soft soft) led to an easy bbs. I can't believe how smooth this razor shaves. Tomorrow I will continue with the Feather and then change off to something else. I plan on using the Evolution until next week non stop. Congrats to Phil you did it again.

119 13,010
 02-20-2017, 11:52 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-20-2017, 11:11 AM)slantman Wrote: I was suppose to get my Asylum Evolution tomorrow (2/21) but all packages were delivered today ahead of the onslaught on Tuesday. So my first impressions of this new creation of an old razor design is positive. The finish is outstanding with no flaws. The handle could be a little longer but it didn't bother me at all. The grip is excellent and the Feather blade I loaded locks in perfectly even and secure. Although I shaved this morning does anybody think I wasn't going to give it a spin. Two passes using Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 (which btw is an excellent soft soft) led to an easy bbs. I can't believe how smooth this razor shaves. Tomorrow I will continue with the Feather and then change off to something else. I plan on using the Evolution until next week non stop. Congrats to Phil you did it again.

Excellent...I am glad that it arrived safely and that it worked well for you. I am impressed that the USPS delivered on a holiday and hope that Tuesday's storm is not as bad as they are predicting. I look forward to hearing your further impressions.

46 18,073
 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM
User Info
(02-20-2017, 11:11 AM)slantman Wrote: I was suppose to get my Asylum Evolution tomorrow (2/21) but all packages were delivered today ahead of the onslaught on Tuesday. So my first impressions of this new creation of an old razor design is positive. The finish is outstanding with no flaws. The handle could be a little longer but it didn't bother me at all. The grip is excellent and the Feather blade I loaded locks in perfectly even and secure. Although I shaved this morning does anybody think I wasn't going to give it a spin. Two passes using Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 (which btw is an excellent soft soft) led to an easy bbs. I can't believe how smooth this razor shaves. Tomorrow I will continue with the Feather and then change off to something else. I plan on using the Evolution until next week non stop. Congrats to Phil you did it again.
I agree with everything you said it's a great shaver and I too would like a longer handle as well but it is a direct copy of the original Darwin which I owned in the past and this razor shaves better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

19 571
 02-21-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
Day 2 (very early morning)
A repeat of yesterday afternoon. I used Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 soft soap. A review somewhere else of this soap says it can't produce a lather. That is totally wrong. Lathers with ease. The Evolution is a very smooth shaver and cuts very close with ease. The whole look of the razor is very appealing to me. I would not change a thing including the length of the handle. Balance and weight is perfect. The machine shop did an outstanding job producing this replica of the original. I will continue using this razor except will change blades at the end of the week. I am expecting the same results. I will post my thoughts then.

119 13,010
 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM
User Info
Keep the reviews coming...I'm tempted. I've been stuck on the same razor for 3 or so years and other than buying a backup duplicate head I've been behaving. This one sounds interesting.

0 223
 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
(02-23-2017, 04:26 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Keep the reviews coming...I'm tempted. I've been stuck on the same razor for 3 or so years and other than buying a backup duplicate head I've been behaving. This one sounds interesting.

What razor is that, brother?

0 479