Poll: Which order is best: pre-shave cream first, then oil, or, pre-shave oil first, then cream?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 02-17-2017, 11:20 PM
User Info
Okay, so, this is basically one of the two main questions I had when I registered this account.  The other one was about pre-shave oil, and, how it would react to synthetic brushes.  I think I should be okay.  

Here is the question:

Which goes first:  pre-shave oil, or, pre-shave cream, or other product?  

If you use the oil first, you might rub some of it off when you use the cream, or, you may somehow render it pointless. 

However, on the other hand, if you use the cream first, you run the risk of it being trapped between the skin and, oil.  

It all comes down to the order in which it goes: lather, oil, cream, skin, or, lather, cream, oil, skin.  

Which is objectively better?  There must be a right answer to this.  No way both options are equal, that is an unreasonable assumption.

0 145
 02-18-2017, 03:14 AM
User Info
Okay, I think I figured it out.  

It is really simple, and, easy, once you think about it with cold logic.  

The pre-shave cream has to go first, to be of any benefit.  If the oil goes first, it blocks the cream from treating the skin.

The best thing, then, in my view, would be to apply the pre-shave cream (or, whichever other pre-shave product you use) before the oil, but, make sure you give it time to "breathe," time to "work its magic," so to speak.  

Afterwards, use the oil.  The oil should be between the skin, and, the lather.  The cream should be absorbed almost completely into the skin.

0 145
 02-18-2017, 03:53 AM
User Info
I'd suggest that if you are going to use either a preshave cream or preshave oil that you only use one of them, not both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,161
 02-18-2017, 04:14 AM
User Info
I agree, using both sounds like overkill. Pre-shave cream is great if you have dry skin but most people find that they don't need any pre-shave at all. Using both would just hinder the ability of the lather to do its job.

0 21
 02-18-2017, 04:38 AM
User Info
I agree that it's not necessary to use both.  I don't use either and find that plenty of hot water on my face is sufficient.

39 3,969
 02-18-2017, 07:40 AM
User Info
Like other Gents have posted, you need to only use one product at a time.

What I do is wash my face with a cream based face wash for a minute or so and then use either a preshave cream or oil.

Never these two at the same time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 517
 02-18-2017, 10:13 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Pre-shave I take a hot shower and wash my face with a glycerin soap. I don't understand the need for other preparation prior to one's shave.

2 271
 02-19-2017, 04:50 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have dry skin, so I find that a pre-shsve oil helps. I just wet my face and apply the oil. I let the oil soak in while I build my leather. Once my leather is built, I wet my face again and apply the soap. If you have leather, you would probably want to let the oil soak in before building your lather.

3 479
 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM
User Info
I have been using the cream, building the lather, using the oil, finishing building the lather, then lathering my face.  

I also take a cool shower before hand, wherein I shampoo & condition my beard.  Then, I wash with a high-glycerin content soap, then, I pat dry my face, and, massage with a towel.  Then, I wash with the "bloom water" of the soap, then I pat dry my face, and, massage it with a towel, again.  Then I use the pre-shave cream.  Then, I start the lather.  Then, I use the oil.  Then, I finish the lather.  Then, I shave.

0 145
 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM
User Info
I did oil and result was so so.
I start using glycerine soap and it helped. But I decided to change a little and after 4 passes I use a little oil to touch up and it makes difference.

1 52
 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM
User Info
(02-18-2017, 04:38 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I agree that it's not necessary to use both.  I don't use either and find that plenty of hot water on my face is sufficient.

Same here.

47 3,073
 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
User Info
I found the oil redundant, and, messy, and, a potential hazard for the bristles of my brush.

0 145
 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
Agree that you don't want to use both. They may not even work well together. Shave oils are great, but you have to know how to use them. Most folks don't like them because they are not using them to best advantage.

The problem is that oil is not soluble in water. If you just put it on your face, you will get a gunky, unprotective mess. You actually get more friction, a very bad thing. However, oil is soluble in soap, and so is water. Ah ha! A solution begins to emerge. Lather up your hands with an excellent soap -- you'll have to experiment to find the brand that works for you. Than add a dime size amount of your shaving oil and mix the two thoroughly. Rub on your face. You now have an emulsion of oil and soap which will quickly penetrate your dermis. Lather as usual and shave. The oil will cut down your lather, but not by much. If you face lather, you should easily get enough.

Try this. It really works!

Andy

0 21
 03-19-2017, 04:09 PM
User Info
I generally prep with a warm, five to ten minute shower and find that works best for me. I've used the Castle Forbes pre-shave when in a rush and it works satisfactorily to moisten my beard, but it isn't as effective as a shower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

0 45
 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
(02-19-2017, 03:47 PM)Quando Wrote: I have been using the cream, building the lather, using the oil, finishing building the lather, then lathering my face.  

I also take a cool shower before hand, wherein I shampoo & condition my beard.  Then, I wash with a high-glycerin content soap, then, I pat dry my face, and, massage with a towel.  Then, I wash with the "bloom water" of the soap, then I pat dry my face, and, massage it with a towel, again.  Then I use the pre-shave cream.  Then, I start the lather.  Then, I use the oil.  Then, I finish the lather.  Then, I shave.

Do you finish shaving around dinner time? I don't think you "need" to use anything pre-shavewise. Also oil won't harm your brushes.

I'm on a bunch of home beer brewing fora and one of their mottos is "relax and have a home brew." I wish there was something similar to that with regard to traditional shaving. The accoutrements are nice (I dabble with pre-shave products from time to time when I want to fussy it up) but lathering up and shaving is where the rubber meets the road.

75 1,454
 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
(03-19-2017, 05:44 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(02-19-2017, 03:47 PM)Quando Wrote: I have been using the cream, building the lather, using the oil, finishing building the lather, then lathering my face.  

Do you finish shaving around dinner time?  I don't think you "need" to use anything pre-shavewise.  Also oil won't harm your brushes.  

I'm on a bunch of home beer brewing fora and one of their mottos is "relax and have a home brew."  I wish there was something similar to that with regard to traditional shaving.  The accoutrements are nice (I dabble with pre-shave products from time to time when I want to fussy it up) but lathering up and shaving is where the rubber meets the road.

It takes me 30-45 minutes, all said, &, done.

0 145
 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM
User Info
(03-20-2017, 03:56 PM)Quando Wrote: It takes me 30-45 minutes, all said, &, done.

This is my opinion (obviously): preshave products, be it cream or oil, are nice extras, and for some people necessities, but what really makes the shave exceptional is good lathering and shaving technique.  But even if one does swear by a preshave product, I've never heard of anyone using both cream and oil.  I think that's overkill.  Even if you go to the finest barber or tonsorial palace they don't use that many products. In fact some barely even use much shaving cream.   Part of the great thing about here and other sites is that you can pretty much do whatever you like and if it works for you, great!

75 1,454