02-19-2017, 11:06 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Just wondering if anyone has bought a badger from Plisson in the last year or so and can offer their opinion.
It used to have the reputation for having the softest tips and just wondering if that's still true.
Please give characteristics of the brush if you can (name, dimensions, hair type, 2 or 3 band, etc). Thank you in advance.

(Again, not interested in hearing about ones over a year old, interested in recently manufactured ones. Thanks!!)

57 2,552
 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM
User Info
I just bought a Plexi 2 band White Badger size 18 from Planet Rasoir in Paris. I saw someone post a video of the the interior of the shop and spotted a brush with what I consider a perfect knot shape and I reached out to them. Great folks to deal with,  conversations were done via email and the transaction was completed over the phone, exemplary customer service there!  While the purchase was new I can't speak for the date of manufacture of the brush, it certainly hadn't been used, but I'm not sure how long it had been at the shop, could have been there for 2 weeks or 2 years. The tips are ridiculously soft for a natural badger brush and do not appear to have been treated in any way. This brush has a big splay while lathering ( I face lather exclusively) but does not have an exaggerated bloom for the loft, in fact it has considerably more backbone than my size 18 HMW from Plisson. You aren't going to confuse this with a Chubby in terms of knot stiffness, but I have come to appreciate the cloud like lathering from high lofted brushes with quality hair and this hair is outstanding.  I was a little concerned this might be a shedder, my HMW Plisson loses at least 2 hairs a lather, but this has not shed a single hair. I have 6 lathers on this knot and it is getting softer at the tips with each lather. Again I can not confirm the age of manufacture of the brush but it was new in box from the store just 2 weeks ago. Here are some pics...

In box..
[Image: VhmM0uq.png]

Out of box, not lathered...
[Image: 5iFKysm.png]

Bloomed...
[Image: RFD87zY.png]

Bloomed from above...
[Image: ATjCP8Q.png]

3 248
 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
That plexi brush is a real beauty!

4 1,926
 02-21-2017, 08:23 AM
User Info
Beautiful handle and knot.  Congratulations and enjoy.

48 5,719
 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
oh boy oh boy.  beautiful

73 1,262
 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Great brush, thank you for sharing!

Would you say it's the softest tips you used? What would you compare the hair to, anything?

57 2,552
 02-21-2017, 05:30 PM
User Info
Marvelous Plisson Sir

19 775
 02-21-2017, 06:44 PM
User Info
Agreed that is a lovely knot! Is that handle shape comfortable in that size?

~Jesse~

8 85
 02-21-2017, 08:48 PM
User Info
(02-21-2017, 03:50 PM)Nero Wrote: Great brush, thank you for sharing!

Would you say it's the softest tips you used? What would you compare the hair to, anything?

That depends on how you define softest tips. When dry the tips are just as soft as my Wiborg white badgers and Vie Long 2 bands which I consider my softest tipped when dry. My gel tipped brushes are the softest on my face when lathering but are spiky and rock hard when dry. This brush has very soft tips when dry and I think due to the loft retains a pillow soft sensation that a lot of 2 bands lose when face lathering, you tend to get that "wall of badger" effect with many other 2 bands. So it has the exaggerated soft tips of a 2 band while retaining the characteristics of a 3 band (this is entirely my opinion of course) namely great flow through, heat retention, and light face feel. Honestly I can't compare this brush to anything else in my den and I've got a pretty wide range of brushes. It's really quite unique and I'm enjoying it more and more because of that, rarely do I run across something completely different these days. Again this is entirely subjective and I'm not sure if I've answered your question. Yes, the tips are amazingly soft. Softest used ever? No, but man is it luxurious! No, I can't compare it to anything else in my den, this is my only high lofted, soft tipped, 2 band brush, so it resides in a category of its own.
Bottom line, pretty cool looking brush that works exceedingly well, feels great to lather with and is not at all like anything else I have tried! Is it for everyone? Nope, it's overpriced for sure and falls into category where fans of traditional 2 bands will feel it's lacking backbone, but I really appreciate how this brush behaves.

3 248
 02-21-2017, 08:51 PM
User Info
(02-21-2017, 06:44 PM)lestorfreemon01 Wrote: Agreed that is a lovely knot! Is that handle shape comfortable in that size?

~Jesse~

Surprisingly yes! I hold it sideways so it's not nearly as big in the hand as when viewed from the facing profile.

3 248
 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM
User Info
Gorgeous!

73 4,269
 02-22-2017, 09:54 AM
User Info
That's a beauty!  Smile It looks huge; what's the dimensions? It really looks like a great brush!

0 596
 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-21-2017, 08:48 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote:

That depends on how you define softest tips. When dry the tips are just as soft as my Wiborg white badgers and Vie Long 2 bands which I consider my softest tipped when dry. My gel tipped brushes are the softest on my face when lathering but are spiky and rock hard when dry. This brush has very soft tips when dry and I think due to the loft retains a pillow soft sensation that a lot of 2 bands lose when face lathering, you tend to get that "wall of badger" effect with many other 2 bands. So it has the exaggerated soft tips of a 2 band while retaining the characteristics of a 3 band (this is entirely my opinion of course) namely great flow through, heat retention, and light face feel. Honestly I can't compare this brush to anything else in my den and I've got a pretty wide range of brushes. It's really quite unique and I'm enjoying it more and more because of that, rarely do I run across something completely different these days. Again this is entirely subjective and I'm not sure if I've answered your question. Yes, the tips are amazingly soft. Softest used ever? No, but man is it luxurious! No, I can't compare it to anything else in my den, this is my only high lofted, soft tipped, 2 band brush, so it resides in a category of its own.
Bottom line, pretty cool looking brush that works exceedingly well, feels great to lather with and is not at all like anything else I have tried! Is it for everyone? Nope, it's overpriced for sure and falls into category where fans of traditional 2 bands will feel it's lacking backbone, but I really appreciate how this brush behaves.

Thanks for your insights. I think I would really enjoy it. I prefer soft face feel over backbone and the like (not that I would want anything actually floppy). Do you mind if I ask the price?

57 2,552
 02-23-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
(02-22-2017, 04:44 PM)Nero Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 08:48 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote:

Bottom line, pretty cool looking brush that works exceedingly well,  feels great to lather with and is not at all like anything else I have tried! Is it for everyone? Nope, it's overpriced for sure and falls into category where fans of traditional 2 bands will feel it's lacking backbone, but I really appreciate how this brush behaves.

Thanks for your insights. I think I would really enjoy it. I prefer soft face feel over backbone and the like (not that I would want anything actually floppy). Do you mind if I ask the price?
It was $527 shipping included. Overpriced? Yes, but for me worth it.

3 248
 02-23-2017, 10:20 AM
User Info
That knot looks absolutely fantastic. Enjoy!

8 1,062
 02-23-2017, 12:30 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Greetings ! I would like to show you my Plisson HMW size 12 in horn handle .I received this brush December 2016 directly from  Plisson as replacement of another Plisson same size who was shedding like hell. When dry the hair is very soft and resilient ,when wet you are getting this silky massage sensation on your face . The original brush I bought January 2016 from authorized retailer who offered one year warranty.
Comparing the two brushes now is very hard to tell the difference, they have almost identical hair characteristics. I highly recommend whoever wish to buy Plisson to do so through authorized retailer with warranty because they have tendency of shedding.
[Image: kObrnnU.jpg][Image: htpYiBj.jpg][Image: hNbaqLs.jpg]

10 415
 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
1 loaded photos

10 415
 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM
User Info
Stunning Plisson, Steve - expensive, yes but those big Plissons are in a class of their own!

73 4,269
 02-24-2017, 09:24 AM
User Info
(02-23-2017, 01:13 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Stunning Plisson, Steve - expensive, yes but those big Plissons are in a class of their own!

Thank you very much! I agree, there's nothing out there like them!

3 248