02-19-2017, 05:41 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
Hello, 

I have decided to try shaving this way again.  I have a few different time of my life.  I really would like to get back into this, as, my Double Edge Razor fails to get as close as I would like. 

I am having a great deal of trouble, however, finding the right type of razor, and, blade.  

I want the regular single edge safety blades, NOT the injector types.  

Can anyone recommend me a razor & blade combination?  

Pleas, and, thank you.

1 560
 02-19-2017, 05:50 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
Asylum RX, Mongoose, ATT SE are all excellent but not cheap.  The not so expensive SE's would be Ikon, Colonial and Razorock Hawk.  My favorite two single edge razors would be the Mongoose (stainless steel version) and RX.  Of the blades I've used I prefer the Feather Pro. The Feather Super Pro was just too aggressive, and the Pro Guard just seemed okay, but not great.  I get roughly 10 very good shaves from a Feather Pro before the blade starts to dull.

42 581
 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM
  • Quando
User Info
Hi, thanks, but, those are injector style blades, and, those are all injector style razors.  Is that my only option?  I want my razor blades to look like the attached photograph. 

Let me know if this is possible. 

[Image: 397492_scene7?$OD-Dynamic$&wid=450&hei=450]

1 560
 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
You may be a candidate for a GEM Micromatic. It delivers a close SE shave for most users.

57 1,562
 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
User Info
^^ Max P beat me to it!

I couldn't open the photo link, but I assume you are looking for SEs that use single edge blades like the Gems.  Here is my Gem bullet tip.  I am not aware of any modern maker of these types of SEs, but these razors can be picked up fairly inexpensively on the used market. I'm no expert, but searching for the term Gem Micromatic will show a range of related options and I think the various models have varying degrees of aggressiveness.  I'm sure there are some experts here that can chime in.

[Image: ALEbkWA.jpg]

13 1,168
 02-19-2017, 06:43 PM
  • Quando
User Info
Thank you, everyone.  

I have decided to just keep using what I have.  I am sure a used GEM would be the best bet, though.

1 560
 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
(02-19-2017, 06:02 PM)Quando Wrote: Hi, thanks, but, those are injector style blades, and, those are all injector style razors.  Is that my only option?  I want my razor blades to look like the attached photograph. 

Let me know if this is possible. 

[Image: 397492_scene7?$OD-Dynamic$&wid=450&hei=450]

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I guess I never considered the Feather blades as being injector style or the razors I listed as being injector style razors.  I haven't used too many standard SE razors that take a regular single edge blade.  Oneblade is a good option albeit a very expensive one.  It's a very smooth but considerably mild shaver.  Besides the price the spineless blades are getting harder to come by.  I think a 1912 or Gem bullet might be a good starting point, both of which can be had for a reasonable price.  I'm guessing there might be a few dedicated SE users that will chime in here.

42 581
 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM
User Info
You are probably looking for a Gem, Damaskeene, or Ever-Ready type razor. There are a LOT of variations of these types of razors, but the three most common are 1912 (some were called Damaskeene), 1914, and 1924 (aka shovelhead)

There are also Gem Micromatic types, which also have a few variations.

A little searching of these names should point you in the right direction.

Edit:
As far as blades, Gem PTFE are the only blades that work for me without feeling like I'm shaving with broken glass.

7 305
 02-19-2017, 09:16 PM
User Info
I have a Hawk that uses Feather Artist Club blades. The blade case may look like an injector style but I have to manually load the blades. 

Hands down its night and day over DE shaving. No more 'chasing the blade".
[Image: IMG_20170216_205927.jpg]

1 125
 02-20-2017, 12:01 AM
User Info
(02-19-2017, 09:16 PM)KnurledNut Wrote: I have a Hawk that uses Feather Artist Club blades. The blade case may look like an injector style but I have to manually load the blades. 

Hands down its night and day over DE shaving. No more 'chasing the blade".
[Image: IMG_20170216_205927.jpg]
[quote pid='779048' dateline='1487567812']
Dear Knurled; 

What do you mean by ¨chasing the blade¨ ?  I am unfamiliar with the term.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña
[/quote]

0 479
 02-20-2017, 01:05 AM
User Info
(02-20-2017, 12:01 AM)carlospppena Wrote: [quote pid='779048' dateline='1487567812']
Dear Knurled; 

What do you mean by ¨chasing the blade¨ ?  I am unfamiliar with the term.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

[/quote]

Trying to find the best blade...you know...the closest, the mildest..the best of the best.

With countless DE blades out there, we are constantly "chasing the blade".

1 125
 02-20-2017, 03:15 AM
  • Quando
User Info
Okay, it seems like a vintage GEM is the way to go.  Thank you, vigalantesd, and, everyone else. Smile

1 560
 02-20-2017, 05:28 AM
User Info
What SE razor are you using now? Tell us that and we can potentially help further. It always helps to feed us toomuch information and we can discard what's not needed for a better response.

I second the more aggressive SE razors. The GEM Micromatic series, and of those the Open Comb Micromatic is acknowledged by most to be the most aggressive. The EverReady Shovelhead (aka ER '24) is another aggressive razor.

As far as blades, that choice is a no-brainer. The GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blade is IMO the best. It might be a little too sharp when fresh, but after a few shaves it calms down and settles in. @0 shaves per blade is what I get 80% of the time and maybe 18% go to 30 shaves, the remaining 2% don't make it to 20 shaves. It's a really good blade.

PM me your address and I'll send you a few if you've never used them. When buying them the best way is to buy in bulk from Connaught Shaving in the UK; or it has been in the past the USA sources are Ted Pella (121-3). There's another source whose name escapes me at the moment, sorry.

GEM also makes a carbon steel blade that many find to be better than the SS ptfe blades, but I find that while they are quite good when fresh they just don't last without special handling after the shave.

Over on the now defunct TOST lots of SE users tried many blades and I don't remember any that equaled the GEM SS ptfe blades, at least for me. While a spine backed SE blade looks like a hardware store blade, that's where the similarity ends. They simply aren't sharp enough for shaving. Once in awhile a shipment of brand X blades also makes it into the country. Be very wary of these. The last ones I knew of were DORCO, just another hardware store blade making claims of being shave worthy.

32 6,445
 02-20-2017, 08:30 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Vintage GEM Single Edge Safety Razor 1912 Damaskeene
I'll let you give it a try if you are interested, just PM me your address.
[Image: yagQNbK.jpg]

11 659
 02-20-2017, 10:16 AM
User Info
The 1912 is a gem of a razor, a very generous offer Smile

I'll second Brian's suggestion of a Micromatic. I got a Clug Pruf and it's a wonderful shaver.

3 4,373
 02-20-2017, 12:01 PM
  • Quando
User Info
(02-20-2017, 05:28 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What SE razor are you using now? Tell us that and we can potentially help further. It always helps to feed us toomuch information and we can discard what's not needed for a better response.

I second the more aggressive SE razors. The GEM Micromatic series, and of those the Open Comb Micromatic is acknowledged by most to be the most aggressive. The EverReady Shovelhead (aka ER '24) is another aggressive razor.

As far as blades, that choice is a no-brainer. The GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blade is IMO the best. It might be a little too sharp when fresh, but after a few shaves it calms down and settles in. @0 shaves per blade is what I get 80% of the time and maybe 18% go to 30 shaves, the remaining 2% don't make it to 20 shaves. It's a really good blade.

PM me your address and I'll send you a few if you've never used them. When buying them the best way is to buy in bulk from Connaught Shaving in the UK; or it has been in the past the USA sources are Ted Pella (121-3). There's another source whose name escapes me at the moment, sorry.

GEM also makes a carbon steel blade that many find to be better than the SS ptfe blades, but I find that while they are quite good when fresh they just don't last without special handling after the shave.

Over on the now defunct TOST lots of SE users tried many blades and I don't remember any that equaled the GEM SS ptfe blades, at least for me. While a spine backed SE blade looks like a hardware store blade, that's where the similarity ends. They simply aren't sharp enough for shaving. Once in awhile a shipment of brand X blades also makes it into the country. Be very wary of these. The last ones I knew of were DORCO, just another hardware store blade making claims of being shave worthy.

Okay, cool.  Yeah, I remember the SE being more aggressive.  This might be something I put on hold, for a while, remembering that. 

Right now I use a DE, not an SE.  

The thing is, the razor would need be produced during my time in order for it to my daily razor.  

I think will stick with my DE, for now.  Thank you for your help, though.

1 560