02-20-2017, 06:40 AM
User Info
After doing an extensive journey through the world of DE over several years, I am curious to know how well of a shave I can get in comparison with a SE.

What I have learned in my DE journey is that the sensitive area of my neck cooperates best with the absolute mildest of razors like the EJ89 and Britist Flat Bottom Tech(and of course adjustable razors tuned down).  

What I have read is that for the old school SE, the GEM Featherweight, Push buttom, or G Bar are about the best entry level models into the world of SE with a variety limited to about a 4 blade sampler available from Tryablade.

For more modern razors taking the Artist Club blades, the Colonial General also seems to be recently leading the way(in addition to a very attractive price structure) with a 7 blade sampler available from Tryablade.

For anyone who has experience with both and as it relates to availability of blades and ease of use(razor and blade maintenance).....which razor would be the best of these milder razors as entry to the SE world?

Opinions greatly appreciated!

39 275
 02-20-2017, 07:12 AM
User Info
I haven't tried the general yet and it gets great reviews, but picking up a cheap GEM style SE is a very easy way to give it a try. That's what I did anyhow. I grabbed a few of those sampler blade packs, but ended up preferring the PTFE ones. If you decide to go that way I might have some extra stuff I could ship to you for a few bucks to make it an even cheaper venture for you. Let me know and I can check tonight even I get home and see what I've got lying around. Hopefully that didn't come across as trying to make a sale--I really am just trying to help. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 328
 02-20-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
Howdy Reverend,

I've had both, and much prefer The General over the Gem Featherweight.  As with all safety razors, it's about the blade.  
And IMO the Feather AC Pro is both the sharpest and most durable blade in production; head and shoulders above the Gem PTFE.  
I think The General is a better razor, both in design and manufacture; milder and more efficient, but I don't like the handle.
I still have my General but I tend to like more aggressive razors, such as the iKon El Jefe and the Asylum Rx.  I no longer own any Gems.
I like short handles.  Here'a picture of my General with a Durham-Duplex handle.  I use the same handle on my El Jefe.
Since Gem Featherweights are so cheap, I suggest you try both.  If you find you like the Gem, then check out the Ever Ready Streamline.  
I haven't been to Bayern in over 40 years.  It has changed so much.  I wonder if I would recognize Bayreuth today.

Roy

[Image: wYMX1jZ.jpg]

10 176
 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
User Info
Hello. 

I have only used Artist Club razors and have 3.

My first traditional razor was the Cobra Classic.  I loved it.  It took a bit to get used to but it was not as difficult as I had feared at all.  To me it is the best shave when I take my time and do it right.  I get my best shave with this using Feather Pro's.  I have tried the Feather Pro Super and it is pretty rough.

My next Razor was the Mongoose Batch 1 (B1).  I love this razor because with the Feather Pros it is a very mild, almost foolproof shave but it can take a lot of touch up to get BBS.  My every day go to with it is the Feather Pro Super which is the best balance of BBS and smoothness.  It can bite in this setup if I am careless.

I now have a General Razor.  I was actually getting some really good shaves with the Feather Pro's after I concentrated on technique.  My last two shaves have been with Feather Pro Supers and they have been rough.  I am going to try the Feather Pro Supers a little bit more before going back the Feather Pro's. 

There is a good selection of Artist Club Razors on the market right now with more on the way.  I HIGHLY recommend them.  The blades are stars and the razor selection is good. 

Good luck.

1 161
 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM
User Info
My first SE was a Featherweight. I loved it and still do. You get a lot of audible feedback.

I was mighty impressed with the General after trying it on poonjaji's graciously offered tour.

You can't go wrong either way.

8 896
 02-21-2017, 09:10 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've no experience with AC razors but I do have 6 versions of GEM/ER razors. In this line I find the Featherweight is mildest. Moving up in order of aggression are G Bar, Bullet Tip, 1912, Clog Pruf and MMOC. Of course the usual ymmv caveat applies as always.

4 1,922
 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM
User Info
My vote would go to the General. Mild razor but very efficient with a Kai Mild. For whatever reason, my face never got along with GEM type blades.

8 85