02-20-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
I was thinking of buying a jar of Proraso pre-shave cream. But I have a fairly light beard. I shave daily, but I could get away with every other day. I do two passes only only on the chin and neck. Are pre-shave creams mostly for heavy beards, or are there benefits for someone like me?

0 88
 02-20-2017, 09:29 AM
User Info
You should just try a jar and see if it makes your shave better.  I have a tough beard but found that I don't get any benefit from a pre shave cream or oil. I shower before I shave, and all the soap and hot water are sufficient to soften my beard.

47 5,688
 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM
User Info
I use the Proraso pre-shave. Biggest thing I'm looking for out of any pre-shave is moisture retention. I want to keep all the moisture my skin and beard absorbed during shower around for my shave. 

For this purpose the Proraso works great. It keeps my face wet while I choose a soap and work up a lather, though I don't really see an increase in glide during the shave. Also it rinses off really easily so no clogging issues. I'd say definitely try it out, but as always YMMV.

2 38
 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
There is something else about Proraso pre shave cream in the original scent.  The scent of camphor, eucalyptus and menthol are quite strong, and can overwhelm the scent of whatever cream or soap you are using.  When I used the Proraso pre shave cream years ago, I would only pair it with Proraso cream.

47 5,688
 02-20-2017, 12:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-20-2017, 08:56 AM)Ilnones Wrote: I was thinking of buying a jar of Proraso pre-shave cream. But I have a fairly light beard. I shave daily, but I could get away with every other day. I do two passes only only on the chin and neck. Are pre-shave creams mostly for heavy beards, or are there benefits for someone like me?

You may have the answer in your bathroom already.  Although Proraso is associated with the shaving ritual, the original Noxzema (now that Noxzema is part of the Unilever empire, there are multiple varieties; “Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream” is the mouthful label on the successor to the former one and only Noxzema) has a formula very close to that of Proraso, and has the added benefit that your wife or significant other can use it to remove her make-up at night.  It is very highly moisturizing.  I use it every day for shaving, applying the thinnest possible layer of Noxzema, then lathering right over it.  

Alternatively, or additionally, if you shower before you shave, then a drop or two of hair conditioner, rubbed between the palms and then applied to the beard, will accomplish the same result.  Garnier Whole Blends Nourishing Hair Care with Avocado Oil & Shea Butter extracts conditioner is widely available, dirt cheap, and formulated for "very dry" hair, so you can deduce what it does to the hair in your beard; its ingredient list comprises the premium ingredients of the high-end products, and pretty much nothing else.  

If you already have one of those products, try it, or both of them, out as part of your pre-shave routine; if it works for you, then invest in some Proraso, but I doubt that Proraso will do any better for you, and probably will not do as well.

0 1,048
 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM
User Info
I have a jar, but used it thrice probably? I don't bother with it anymore, I find that if soaps are really good, I don't need it. I also have thick and heavy growth.

10 1,126
 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided against it. I'm getting perfectly good shaves now, so why bother with aditional product. Now if a vintage Gillette open comb shows up...

0 88
 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM
User Info
(02-20-2017, 09:29 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I have a tough beard but found that I don't get any benefit from a pre shave cream or oil. I shower before I shave, and all the soap and hot water are sufficient to soften my beard.
^This.

0 419
 02-20-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
I recently bought proraso red preshave. Since i began using it i havent had even a weeper. Then again, listen to Mel. With respect, i consider him an authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 02-20-2017, 08:23 PM
User Info
(02-20-2017, 09:29 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You should just try a jar and see if it makes your shave better.  I have a tough beard but found that I don't get any benefit from a pre shave cream or oil. I shower before I shave, and all the soap and hot water are sufficient to soften my beard.

Signs011

26 981
 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I like P-Red, but more as a post shave balm. As far as softening my whiskers is concerned, it's all in the prep. Face lathering for 5 minutes or so, and I'm good to go.

4 1,898
 02-21-2017, 10:54 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I tried Proraso and 3P and both were effective but I couldn't handle the scent.  Van der Hagen Shave Butter is a nice pre-shave and is available at many local drugstores and super markets, just a little peanut sized dab will moisturize the skin making it more elastic and less likely to get irritated which is something I have appreciated as I hone my straight razor shaving technique.

139 2,675
 02-24-2017, 01:12 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I swear by Proraso pre-shave cream.  It really helps retain moisture in the skin.  Also, because of the menthol, it eases any razor burn before it even happens, and, prevents soreness/redness/irritation on the skin.

1 560
 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-24-2017, 01:12 PM)Quando Wrote: I swear by Proraso pre-shave cream.  It really helps retain moisture in the skin.  Also, because of the menthol, it eases any razor burn before it even happens, and, prevents soreness/redness/irritation on the skin.

Proraso New Formula (Green) Preshave Cream:

Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Camphor, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Menthol, Parfum, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional Coumarin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Eucalyptol, Sodium Benzoate, Ohenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA

$12.00  for 3.6 oz.  (https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections/preshave-soaps-creams-oils/products/proraso-new-formula-preshave-cream) = $3.33/oz.

Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Camphor, Ammonium Hydroxide, Menthol, sodium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride

$3.97 for 12 oz. (WalMart) = $0.33/oz.

Garnier Whole Blends Nourishing Conditioner, Avocado Oil & Shea Butter extracts:

Aqua / Water / Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter / Shea Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin Trideceth-6, Aloe Barbadensis / Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil / Sunflower Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract / Rosemary Leaf Extract, Hydroxypropyl, Guar, Dipropylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Persea Gratissima Oil / Avocado Oil, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Benzoic Acid, CI 15985 / Yellow 6, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, Parfum / Fragrance, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate

$3.47 for 12.5 oz.  (Amazon PrimePantry) = $0.28/oz.

0 1,048
 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
Never. Just hand soap and hot water...best Ive found

3 742