02-21-2017, 08:37 PM
User Info
Hello Gents;

I have come across this a lot:

When do you hone a straight?  When it start to pull and tug!
When do you change your blade?  When it start to pull and tug!!

English is my second language.  I understand clearly the meaning of pull and tug in general terms.  I just don't grasp its shave meaning very clearly.  It seems to get lost in translation for me. Can anybody elaborate?  Or describe how it feels?

Thanx tons,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 02-21-2017, 09:29 PM
User Info
When you are shaving and you have to apply more pressure to the razor to cut your growth. Secondly, if you feel the hairs being pulled or tugged just prior to them cutting. I keep a mental note of how many good shaves I can get out of a particular brand of blade; then I toss the blade one shave less. If a blade can last 8 shaves; I toss it after shave 7. I figure blades are relatively cheap; where as a good shave is priceless. I hope that helps.

0 596
 02-21-2017, 10:43 PM
User Info
Dear Mr. Greene;

It certainly helps a lot and i thank you for taking the time.

The thing is, for example: today i converted my beard to a fu manchu kind of handlebar. I used an early 20th century geneva pyramid straight. My facial hair is pretty tough. I did wtg, and some xtg. When i went wtg it felt sharp and great. But when i tried xtg (the shape of the handlebar required it) i had to apply a whole lot more pressure. The blade was not dull. It was only a matter of technique.

That is the source of my confusion.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
In my experience Merkur, Astra and Wilkinson blades pulled and tugged more than any other. The shaves were irritating and uncomfortable. Ymmv

4 1,904
 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(02-23-2017, 02:44 PM)chazt Wrote: In my experience Merkur, Astra and Wilkinson blades pulled and tugged more than any other. The shaves were irritating and uncomfortable. Ymmv

I am glad someone else & I are in agreement about the Merkur blades.  I absolutely love their razors...but, their one type of razor, ouch!  It is, easily, the second most aggressive type of razor blade there is.  Only Feather/KAI are worse, I think.

1 560
 02-23-2017, 06:19 PM
User Info
For me tugging and pulling is when the blade does not make a clean smooth cut through the hairs. It gets caught up a bit in your hairs and feels as though somebody is pulling, tugging, yanking on the hair instead of just cutting through it. Happens for me with  certain duller blades or when a sharp blade is dulled as well

26 761
 02-23-2017, 07:00 PM
User Info
Dear gents;

Does this phenomena happens even when you got bbs the day before and your whiskers are very very short. Almost as short that you think to go atg in your first pass?

0 479
 02-23-2017, 07:06 PM
User Info
I can only shave every other day.

0 596
 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-23-2017, 03:30 PM)Quando Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 02:44 PM)chazt Wrote: In my experience Merkur, Astra and Wilkinson blades pulled and tugged more than any other. The shaves were irritating and uncomfortable. Ymmv

I am glad someone else & I are in agreement about the Merkur blades.  I absolutely love their razors...but, their one type of razor, ouch!  It is, easily, the second most aggressive type of razor blade there is.  Only Feather/KAI are worse, I think.

Yes, I agree. For a modern, inexpensive and dependable shaver Merkur razors are second to none. I much prefer Merkur heads to the EJ/Muhle style. I keep a Merkur 42C in my travel kit; never a vintage. If the airlines lose my luggage it's easily replaced.

4 1,904
 02-24-2017, 01:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-23-2017, 07:00 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear gents;

Does this phenomena happens even when you got bbs the day before and your whiskers are very very short. Almost as short that you think to go atg in your first pass?

Pepe, I've tried first pass atg only a handful of times. Once was as you described, the day following a bbs. It was an unpleasant experience. Now, I always do a wtg first pass. No matter what my whiskers look like.

4 1,904
 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
In my view, there must be some sensation felt upon dragging a sharp blade through one's beard.  A sharp blade should pass through properly prepped whiskers smoothly, i.e., without the beard altering the rate at which the blade cuts.

Pulling is when the blade, usually due to its dullness, begins to experience the beard as a mechanical barrier to the cutting action.  This would slow the blade's cutting rate and require an increased pulling force on the part of the shaver.

Tugging  occurs when the mechanical resistance that the beard causes further increases due to blade dulling.  This increase in mechanical resistance is experienced when the movement of the blade is intermittently stopped or perceived to stop, thereby further necessitating an additional increase in the pulling force on the part of the shaver.  The intermittent halting of the blade can be for a fraction of second yet still be sensed.

I am not a straight razor guy, so here are my thoughts regarding your change of direction issue regarding Fu Manchu:

1] Are you maintaining the proper angle when you change direction?
2] Is your skin of similar tautness in both directions?  Maybe you should manually stretch the skin in the direction used when going XTG.
3] Is your blade as sharp as you think it is?  I know you mentioned a BBS, but I'm not a big believer that people's BBS experience are all the same.  No disrespect to anyone intended.
From what you are reporting, your BBS must have been all  WTG since XTG gave pulling; I assume ATG would also.  
4] Maybe you need to enhance the prepping.

1 795
 02-26-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
Awesome explanation @Teddyboy

26 982
 02-26-2017, 10:00 AM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 09:45 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: In my view, there must be some sensation felt upon dragging a sharp blade through one's beard.  A sharp blade should pass through properly prepped whiskers smoothly, i.e., without the beard altering the rate at which the blade cuts.

Pulling is when the blade, usually due to its dullness, begins to experience the beard as a mechanical barrier to the cutting action.  This would slow the blade's cutting rate and require an increased pulling force on the part of the shaver.

Tugging  occurs when the mechanical resistance that the beard causes further increases due to blade dulling.  This increase in mechanical resistance is experienced when the movement of the blade is intermittently stopped or perceived to stop, thereby further necessitating an additional increase in the pulling force on the part of the shaver.  The intermittent halting of the blade can be for a fraction of second yet still be sensed.

Thank you very much.  To Teddy and to all...

0 479
 02-26-2017, 10:00 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(02-26-2017, 09:53 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Awesome explanation @Teddyboy

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

1 795
 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM
User Info
For me the time to change the blade is when I can hear it going over the blade like it is cutting it and still leave stubble.  That is usually a couple of shaves before the pulling and tugging.  Except Vokshod blades, those suckers pull and tug on the first shave.

0 142