02-23-2017, 06:55 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hey all,
Im thinking of buying a kanayama strop. I will either get a 30000 or a 50000. On the website the  description says its horse hide.  Ive also read on the forums that they are genuine shell. I do know that shell and horse hide are totally different. Shell is actully a muscle under the hide on the horse butt. Does anyone know if its genuine shell or just horse hide? Whats the difference in all the numbers on the strop? I also read that eastern smooth stopped selling these strops in 2012, because the quality was not what they used to be. Is this true or are they still quality strops?

0 80
 02-23-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
(02-23-2017, 06:55 PM)Slim Wrote: Hey all,
Im thinking of buying a kanayama strop. I will either get a 30000 or a 50000. On the website the  description says its horse hide.  Ive also read on the forums that they are genuine shell. I do know that shell and horse hide are totally different. Shell is actully a muscle under the hide on the horse butt. Does anyone know if its genuine shell or just horse hide? Whats the difference in all the numbers on the strop? I also read that eastern smooth stopped selling these strops in 2012, because the quality was not what they used to be. Is this true or are they still quality strops?

Great strop by a japanese master! its genuine shell. Highly recommended by straight shavers. Regarded as one of the best strops. Might be slick and provides sharp razors.

17 625
 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(02-23-2017, 06:59 PM)llalm Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 06:55 PM)Slim Wrote: Hey all,

Great strop by a japanese master! its genuine shell. Highly recommended by straight shavers. Regarded as one of the best strops. Might be slick and provides sharp razors.

So it has very light draw?

0 80
 02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
Kanayama Strops are very different than any strop I have used over the past several years, I have used and have a fast bridle and it's very glassy, the cordovan that Kanayama are made from is very different and from my understanding it's processed differently by hand, i have had a 90K and two 80's and a 70 and am down to my last one and will never wear it out, i also have Spanish Bridle which is similar to steer hide but it's more velvety  and then i have an oil tanned horsehide which is almost magnetic, the Kanayama is not glassy like Fast Bridle but definitely not magnetic and i would call it in between medium and glassy.

Here is some info on the different ones:

[Image: sCB9U9t.jpg]
From Aframes website:

the horse hide is natural material, and there is no exactly the same horse hide. Kanoyama strop Co. has experienced hardship to find thick high quality horse hide for last a couple years. when Mr. Naomi want to make thickest Cordovan strop (5mm thickness product like #90000), the original horse hide has to have at least 12mm before the manufacturing processes. The thickness of the Cordovan strop is one of quality indicator, and it is not only one determination of the quality. Mr. Naomi decides the quality of the strop in each models of the strops such as the thickness, the color, the softness, smoothness of the strop, the total quality of the strop, etc.

I guess the strop quality is decided the total quality of the strop instead of just the thickness of the strop, therefore, the thickness of the Cordovan strop is just one of the factor to determine the number of the strops.######
The company name is Kanoyama, but it is stamped Kanayama. They made the wrong spell stamp and used it, and the company had been known as Kanayama already, so they could not correct it anymore.

6 962
 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(02-23-2017, 07:31 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Kanayama Strops are very different than any strop I have used over the past several years, I have used and have a fast bridle and it's very glassy, the cordovan that Kanayama are made from is very different and from my understanding it's processed differently by hand, i have had a 90K and two 80's and a 70 and am down to my last one and will never wear it out, i also have Spanish Bridle which is similar to steer hide but it's more velvety  and then i have an oil tanned horsehide which is almost magnetic, the Kanayama is not glassy like Fast Bridle but definitely not magnetic and i would call it in between medium and glassy.

Here is some info on the different ones:

[Image: sCB9U9t.jpg]
From Aframes website:

the horse hide is natural material, and there is no exactly the same horse hide. Kanoyama strop Co. has experienced hardship to find thick high quality horse hide for last a couple years. when Mr. Naomi want to make thickest Cordovan strop (5mm thickness product like #90000), the original horse hide has to have at least 12mm before the manufacturing processes. The thickness of the Cordovan strop is one of quality indicator, and it is not only one determination of the quality. Mr. Naomi decides the quality of the strop in each models of the strops such as the thickness, the color, the softness, smoothness of the strop, the total quality of the strop, etc.

I guess the strop quality is decided the total quality of the strop instead of just the thickness of the strop, therefore, the thickness of the Cordovan strop is just one of the factor to determine the number of the strops.######
The company name is Kanoyama, but it is stamped Kanayama. They made the wrong spell stamp and used it, and the company had been known as Kanayama already, so they could not correct it anymore.

Thanks for the info! So is it shell or horse hide? So basically there all finished the same, but the numbers indicate the thickness.

0 80
 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
They are wonderful strops, and I've enjoyed my 80000 for the past couple of years. However, it's markedly unlike any shell cordovan that I've every used, including my Neil Miller and Westholme shell strops. I would also think it would be hard to find a piece of shell long enough to make the 90000. I might be wrong, but I would bet that it's an outstanding horsehide, rather than a shell, although I do think I remember Neil, rest in peace, stating on his website that his shells were much different from the Kanayama shell. The shells that I've used have been a thinner piece of leather with a very fast draw, while the Kanayama is much thicker and with a "buttery" draw.

36 4,829
 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(02-23-2017, 08:03 PM)evnpar Wrote: They are wonderful strops, and I've enjoyed my 80000 for the past couple of years. However, it's markedly unlike any shell cordovan that I've every used, including my Neil Miller and Westholme shell strops. I would also think it would be hard to find a piece of shell long enough to make the 90000. I might be wrong, but I would bet that it's an outstanding horsehide, rather than a shell, although I do think I remember Neil, rest in peace, stating on his website that his shells were much different from the Kanayama shell. The shells that I've used have been a thinner piece of leather with a very fast draw, while the Kanayama is much thicker and with a "buttery" draw.

Yes i agree. I maybe wrong, but its hard to believe that one can source genuine shell that thick. Although in Japan it maybe different. I know horween is the only tannery in the USA that sources genuine horse shell, and ive heard its only around 1.5mm for strops. On aframes website it states its cordovan horse hide. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more details.

0 80