02-24-2017, 01:15 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
What are everyone's opinions on this issue?

I am trying to decide if I want to get (another) badger hair brush, or, just keep my synthetic.  

I have decided to do a week's worth (5 early mornings) of shaves to decide if anything is left to be desired on the synthetic.  

The only benefit I can think of right away is the oil from the natural badger hair can be beneficial to the skin. 

Also, the rubbing motion of real hair can have the same beneficial effects as petting an animal.  So, there is that to consider.

1 589
 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM
User Info
What is your set up now? Just one synthetic brush? What type of knot?
But here's the most important question, do you like your current brush?
If you only have 1 badger brush though, you might want to have another to allow it to dry completely between use

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 335
 02-26-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
(02-24-2017, 01:15 PM)Quando Wrote: What are everyone's opinions on this issue?

I am trying to decide if I want to get (another) badger hair brush, or, just keep my synthetic.  

I have decided to do a week's worth (5 early mornings) of shaves to decide if anything is left to be desired on the synthetic.  

The only benefit I can think of right away is the oil from the natural badger hair can be beneficial to the skin. 

Also, the rubbing motion of real hair can have the same beneficial effects as petting an animal.  So, there is that to consider.

I can't imagine that there would be any oil left to benefit the skin after even a month of shaving. What are the benefits of petting a badger? A dead badger?

I recently acquired a Plissoft (sp?).  My brush search is done.

0 8
 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM
User Info
(02-24-2017, 01:15 PM)Quando Wrote: I am trying to decide if I want to get (another) badger hair brush, or, just keep my synthetic.  

Chip & Dan Heath would say that since you've asked an 'either/or' question, and because you're asking for public opinion - you're really just looking for validation to purchase another new brush. And if you're looking for that... you're in the right place! Smile 
Here's what I'd suggest:

Shavemac: so many options in knot size, density, and softness. I recently recieved a 26mm x 52mm "unique" 2-band that is very soft, has excellent flow-through, and good backbone. Bernd is a credit to the shaving community. 
Simpsons: my chubby 2 Manchurian is, as described by Mark at Simpsons, unlike any other knot I've tried. Scrubby, soft, and very dense. I love it!
Paladin: knots that are very similar to the 'unique' 2-band shavemac, and great handle selection (the lotus is wonderful). Great offerings from Ken. 
Thäter: if you want a pillowy soft brush with medium density, and can forego a lot of backbone - this is where it's at. 

So, my answer to your question of whether or not you should buy a new brush is: no. You should buy FOUR new brushes!

My comments about questions come relative to this book: 

[Image: 516gbRuAm-L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

29 1,207
 02-26-2017, 12:44 PM
  • I.P.
User Info
(02-24-2017, 01:15 PM)Quando Wrote: The only benefit I can think of right away is the oil from the natural badger hair can be beneficial to the skin. 

Wow , you have reached your excuses on a new level. 
Just keep it pleasurable Quando. Stay with the synthetic status.

0 32
 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
If you have a badger and prefer your synthetic, maybe there's your answer.

I have only one synthetic - the L'Occitane Plisson. I like it, but I seem to gravitate to an EJ badger my wife got me a while ago. It's not too big or small... Soft without being overly soft.  I dunno... Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it, and I know exactly how it will absorb water.  Whatever the reason, I get my best lather results with it.

0 1,097
 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM
User Info
I have only had synthetics. I then had badgers of natural hair, however, I always made my best mosses with my synthetic badgers.

Yet, I prefer by far my shaving brushes in natural hair, especially for their massaging effect. However, it is more difficult to make a perfect foam with them, if I overdose the water and the foam will dry too quickly, be I sub-dose the water and it is the shaving brusg that absorbs the foam between two passes.

0 233
 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 02:16 PM)PapySnake Wrote: I have only had synthetics. I then had badgers of natural hair, however, I always made my best mosses with my synthetic badgers.

Yet, I prefer by far my shaving brushes in natural hair, especially for their massaging effect. However, it is more difficult to make a perfect foam with them, if I overdose the water and the foam will dry too quickly, be I sub-dose the water and it is the shaving brusg that absorbs the foam between two passes.

Lather creation with synthetics is faster and easier than with badgers, but the feel from badgers, if high end badger quality, in my opinion is better.

If I don't have enough lather in my badger brush for 2.nd pass, I either reload the brush or check for slickness and if it's a great soap, you can actually shave using just the remainder of the lather from first pass with added warm water to use for the second pass (not recommended for beginners though)

24 6,018
 02-26-2017, 04:00 PM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 08:44 AM)VtHippy Wrote:

I can't imagine that there would be any oil left to benefit the skin after even a month of shaving. What are the benefits of petting a badger? A dead badger?

I understand that they collect the hair from the badgers without killing them.... is this true???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 02-26-2017, 04:04 PM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 04:00 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 08:44 AM)VtHippy Wrote: I understand that they collect the hair from the badgers without killing them.... is this true???

No.

50 6,404
 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM
User Info
Why would they need to kill the badgers to take the hair, as they do with sheeps?

0 479
 02-27-2017, 06:28 PM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 06:02 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Why would they need to kill the badgers to take the hair, as they do with sheeps?

Badgers bite! They are a pest animal in China. They are killed pretty routinely from my understanding. And as far I know ALL badger hair is coming fein China. At least this way the hair doesn't go to waste.
I own 1 badger brush, 1 boar brush (boars are killed as well), and 9 synthetics. I love my synths.

3 335
 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM
User Info
If the badgers are Chinese i have no problem. I bet they not only eat the meat, the use everything that is usable. I would. Efficient people, i like em!

0 479
 02-28-2017, 02:41 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
I am starting to think I miss the badger.  I still have them.  

I really, really like the way the synthetic handles part of my face.  The very tip top part.  Around the jaw-line, neck, and, deeper on the cheeks, not so much.  Also, like the hi-brush before it, this brush seems to stay splayed.  It lathers up well enough, but, I miss the badger brushes I had been using. 

So, I will use them until I am an old man with a beard.  Then, I will use the synthetic brush (kept in good condition, of course) to lather up when shaping up the beard.  

I have two things to decide about the brush:  do I rotate them, or, just pick one, and, stick with it?  And, if I pick one, should I have an already broken-in one re-handled, as opposed to buying a new knot, and, having to break it in?

1 589
 02-28-2017, 02:44 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(02-26-2017, 08:44 AM)VtHippy Wrote:

Mine still feel a bit oily.  Maybe they just got gunked up from the pre-shave oil I was using?  

Either way, they have a very different feel on both my hands, and, face than the synthetic brushes do.

1 589
 02-28-2017, 03:56 AM
User Info
Winter brush: badger as they dry faster in winter. I also use synthetics in winter but only if I am in a rush to get out the door.
Summer brushes: boar, synthetic. I tolerate the exfoliation from the boars better in summer.
Synthetics dry fast in winter and pretty fast in summer.
In winter the synthetic is dry by the time I turn off the rinsing water. In summer the synthetic is dry by the time I place the brush on the sink.
So many synthetic choices, good luck.

36 909
 02-28-2017, 04:12 AM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 06:02 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Why would they need to kill the badgers to take the hair, as they do with sheeps?

From what I know, the only animal-hair brushes for which the hair is collected humanely are horsehair.

8 947
 02-28-2017, 04:30 AM
User Info
(02-28-2017, 02:41 AM)Quando Wrote: I am starting to think I miss the badger.  I still have them.  

I really, really like the way the synthetic handles part of my face.  The very tip top part.  Around the jaw-line, neck, and, deeper on the cheeks, not so much.  Also, like the hi-brush before it, this brush seems to stay splayed.  It lathers up well enough, but, I miss the badger brushes I had been using. 

So, I will use them until I am an old man with a beard.  Then, I will use the synthetic brush (kept in good condition, of course) to lather up when shaping up the beard.  

I have two things to decide about the brush:  do I rotate them, or, just pick one, and, stick with it?  And, if I pick one, should I have an already broken-in one re-handled, as opposed to buying a new knot, and, having to break it in?
Most here will recommend more than 1 badger brush (some will recommend more than 2) to allow it to dry completely between shaves. Though part of that will depend on how often you shave.
If you have a knot you love, then why not get a new have for it?

3 335
 02-28-2017, 04:33 AM
User Info
Given the artisans on TSN, you have a number of badger choices. Doug Korn makes nice badgers.

36 909
 02-28-2017, 04:20 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(02-26-2017, 10:20 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 01:15 PM)Quando Wrote: I am trying to decide if I want to get (another) badger hair brush, or, just keep my synthetic.  

Chip & Dan Heath would say that since you've asked an 'either/or' question, and because you're asking for public opinion - you're really just looking for validation to purchase another new brush. And if you're looking for that... you're in the right place! Smile 
Here's what I'd suggest:

Shavemac: so many options in knot size, density, and softness. I recently recieved a 26mm x 52mm "unique" 2-band that is very soft, has excellent flow-through, and good backbone. Bernd is a credit to the shaving community. 
Simpsons: my chubby 2 Manchurian is, as described by Mark at Simpsons, unlike any other knot I've tried. Scrubby, soft, and very dense. I love it!
Paladin: knots that are very similar to the 'unique' 2-band shavemac, and great handle selection (the lotus is wonderful). Great offerings from Ken. 
Thäter: if you want a pillowy soft brush with medium density, and can forego a lot of backbone - this is where it's at. 

So, my answer to your question of whether or not you should buy a new brush is: no. You should buy FOUR new brushes!

My comments about questions come relative to this book: 

[Image: 516gbRuAm-L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

LOL, okay.  So, I have made a decision.  

I am going to go with a badger hair brush, and, only one, never rotating.   I am after the Holy Grail of Brushes.  I will save the synthetic for when I grow my beard, and, need to edge it up, as they work perfectly for that, but, the badger is more enjoyable, and, better for the face.  Plus, I have a ton of allergies, and, who knows what any random synthetic knot can be coated with.  Or, even a badger hair knot, for that matter.  But, in my experiences, the badger hair ones are easier to clean.

1 589