02-24-2017, 07:20 PM
User Info
Any suggestions for sources for good boar knots? I enjoy using Omega boars like the 10066, but would like to put similar knots on nicer handles.
Alternatively, has any one had success removing Omega boar knots from their handles and installing them in nicer handles? I've read that the Omega knots are in some sort of plastic cup which may not be feasible to install in a typical handle. Thanks

0 43
 02-24-2017, 08:27 PM
User Info
Omega knots come right out.

I've taken two out of the Pro handles. They pulled out of the handle in the plastic cup. Then I cut one with a little hack saw and the other with a Dremel. Made a single cut from top to bottom of the plastic cup. It's not really a cup because it has no bottom. I jammed a flat head screwdriver in the cut and popped the plastic cup off.

It's shaped so the glue is locked in. There's a ridge inside the cup halfway down. So when you get it off the knot has a big plug on the bottom that is wider than the plastic cup in some places. I used a sanding drum on the Dremel to get the glue plug trimmed down a little. 

It's not hard. I don't have pictures, but there are YouTube videos and I watched one on fast forward before I did it the first time.

The guy drilled a hole in the bottom of the handle and pushed the knot out from the inside before he cut the cup off. I just grabbed the knot and pulled it out cup and all. It's just pressure fit.

The cup can stay on too. 

It's a nice and inexpensive knot. Seems a lot of trouble but it's really easy. I think there's pictures on the golden nib. Their boar knots look exactly like what's in the Omega brushes.

9 1,412
 02-24-2017, 09:10 PM
User Info
Rudy Vey can source the knot for you, makes you the handle of your choice and fits it to your preferences. Then he sends you a pic of it next to a golf ball before he glues it for your final OK. Great guy IME.

8 1,129
 02-25-2017, 04:56 AM
User Info
The Golden Nib sells boar knots,

50 6,102
 02-25-2017, 11:48 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 04:56 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Golden Nib sells boar knots,
Any idea where the Golden Nib sources their boar knots? I prefer the way Omega boar knots keep their shape after use as compared to the Semogue knots which eventually get kind of scraggly looking.

0 43
 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 11:48 AM)Ramsay Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 04:56 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Golden Nib sells boar knots,
Any idea where the Golden Nib sources their boar knots? I prefer the way Omega boar knots keep their shape after use as compared to the Semogue knots which eventually get kind of scraggly looking.

TGN has a 27mm boar knot that's made in Italy and looks like an Omega.  The smaller knots don't specify a country of origin.

50 6,102
 03-01-2017, 02:06 PM
User Info
Those of you that have removed Omega boar knots and re-installed them on other handles- Does the knot size (example 24 mm) fit in the same size hole, or does the handle hole need to be 1 or 2mm larger than the knot size? How does it vary if you leave the plastic cup on the Omega knot or remove it?

0 43