02-24-2017, 10:14 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I recently had to buy a new video card for my home PC and I needed to refresh my understanding of the various types since it had been so long since I bought one.  I had a GeForce 440GT, which ran most games I play pretty well.  So naturally, I started surfing the web, and I found that there were two major schools of thought, AMD and Nvidia.  Talk about hype!  From my research I found them to be relatively comparable in terms of RAM, framerates and overall Graphics processing power per cycle.  So my question is, what drives people to become such fanatics about one product over another?  Except for branding, I couldn't really find a difference.  Some of the things I read on a few tech forums made me want to stop reading and just buy one...I'm talking about mean, hateful, things.

I've seen this sort of thing in our hobby, too, (not the name-calling, but certainly arguments) and I've never really understood it. What makes people want to fight about certain products?!?

I like certain brands, but fanatical loyalty I do not have.  I want something that makes me happy, but I don't stop looking at all other brands just because I like that product. 

Does anyone else feel the same as me, or am I an oddity?

70 1,451
 02-25-2017, 01:17 AM
User Info
[Image: PBF020-Skub.gif]
http://pbfcomics.com/20/

If you think the schism over Nvidia and AMD was bad, don't dive into the murky depths of Android vs iPhone... that'll make the battle of Stalingrad look like a minor scuffle in comparison at times. As for WHY some people will reach the conclusion that the 'other side' is bad, evil, wrong, composed of morons, and only defending their side to piss people off... I don't know. But you'll find it in pretty much any field you look at online.

That said; last time I bought graphics cards I found that AMD gave me more bang for the buck - the situation might be reversed today.

3 4,348
 02-25-2017, 06:01 AM
User Info
It always reminds me of the old saying: why are literary arguments so vicious? Because the stakes are so low.

84 1,505
 02-25-2017, 06:43 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 06:01 AM)jpakstis Wrote: It always reminds me of the old saying: why are literary arguments so vicious?  Because the stakes are so low.

When William F. Buckley threatened to punch out Gore Vidal, my feeling was I hope they go at it and I have no interest in watching. That's a great quote above.

29 1,776
 03-03-2017, 12:22 AM
User Info
(02-24-2017, 10:14 PM)Crag Wrote: I recently had to buy a new video card for my home PC and I needed to refresh my understanding of the various types since it had been so long since I bought one.  I had a GeForce 440GT, which ran most games I play pretty well.  So naturally, I started surfing the web, and I found that there were two major schools of thought, AMD and Nvidia.  Talk about hype!  From my research I found them to be relatively comparable in terms of RAM, framerates and overall Graphics processing power per cycle.  So my question is, what drives people to become such fanatics about one product over another?  Except for branding, I couldn't really find a difference.  Some of the things I read on a few tech forums made me want to stop reading and just buy one...I'm talking about mean, hateful, things.

I've seen this sort of thing in our hobby, too, (not the name-calling, but certainly arguments) and I've never really understood it. What makes people want to fight about certain products?!?

I like certain brands, but fanatical loyalty I do not have.  I want something that makes me happy, but I don't stop looking at all other brands just because I like that product. 

Does anyone else feel the same as me, or am I an oddity?

Video cards can operate much differently on an AMD or Intel processor, also the way they exchange data and how memory is shared between the CPU and any built in ram on the card comes into play. Along with that are codecs (programs used to identify various data streams ) which can be hardware on a board or software, each has its own limits and strengths. Lastly, some video cards can be strapped together allowing  two or three cards to handle the video.

Unless your 35, living in moms basement and can tell me each component in your tower, The Nvida should do the job for about 99% of what you want. AMD is big in gaming because hard core gamers like to over clock.  "cause 11 is one bigger than 10"

0 38