02-25-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
When we have a blending job it's almost never a job that an ordinary blender can handle and a food processor doesn't have enough capacity, is to slow, and doesn't produce the texture I want. Many years ago during the NYC Worlds Fair my dad bought our first Vita-Mix and I was impressed back then. Except for when the wife and I first got married I've had V-Mixes ever since. We use them very hard. We did have a Oster for a time, but it didn't hold up and was only suitable for light duty.

Anyway, our current V-M  long ago had the speed control go caddywumpus, and for years we continued to use it because they simply don't stop working, but the speed couldn't be controlled reliably. Or at least none of ours have never stopped working. The wife suggested getting a new one before the old one stopped. FWIW, it's still working at this time when I put it into mothballs.

Anyway, I went onto the V-M website and found the home units. Basically they're what we have now with "Ohh, Ahh" controls designed to impress. I wasn't terribly impressed and never am by glitz and glitter. So I went over the their industrial units. I called V-M to inquire as to price because it's not listed on the website. I was told the "suggested retail" and it's a good thing I was sitting down. But the lady also told me to check with my local food service supplier to see what their price would be. I did and they came in at 1/2 the suggested retail price. That put the price at a little more than the home unit I would have gotten. So what we got was the Vita-Prep 3. It has a 3 hp motor and better cooling than the unit it replaces. Cooling has always been the Achilles heel of the old unit. The home units have motors from 2 - 2.3 hp. Other than the fine print on the face, and the outer color, it's the same shape and form as the unit it replaces. The old work containers fit it too. I wasn't able to cash in the old unit to get that discount, but it was more than made up for in pricing.

It'll be another week or 2 before it's called on to do a difficult job. We'll see what happens at that time. But in the meantime the speed control works. :-)

So if you want a Vita-Mix but want one better than the home units, contact your local restaurant supplier for a price. I never expected the deal that I got.

32 6,424
 02-25-2017, 07:00 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 06:42 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: When we have a blending job it's almost never a job that an ordinary blender can handle and a food processor doesn't have enough capacity, is to slow, and doesn't produce the texture I want. Many years ago during the NYC Worlds Fair my dad bought our first Vita-Mix and I was impressed back then. Except for when the wife and I first got married I've had V-Mixes ever since. We use them very hard. We did have a Oster for a time, but it didn't hold up and was only suitable for light duty.

Anyway, our current V-M  long ago had the speed control go caddywumpus, and for years we continued to use it because they simply don't stop working, but the speed couldn't be controlled reliably. Or at least none of ours have never stopped working. The wife suggested getting a new one before the old one stopped. FWIW, it's still working at this time when I put it into mothballs.

Anyway, I went onto the V-M website and found the home units. Basically they're what we have now with "Ohh, Ahh" controls designed to impress. I wasn't terribly impressed and never am by glitz and glitter. So I went over the their industrial units. I called V-M to inquire as to price because it's not listed on the website. I was told the "suggested retail" and it's a good thing I was sitting down. But the lady also told me to check with my local food service supplier to see what their price would be. I did and they came in at 1/2 the suggested retail price. That put the price at a little more than the home unit I would have gotten. So what we got was the Vita-Prep 3. It has a 3 hp motor and better cooling than the unit it replaces. Cooling has always been the Achilles heel of the old unit. The home units have motors from 2 - 2.3 hp. Other than the fine print on the face, and the outer color, it's the same shape and form as the unit it replaces. The old work containers fit it too. I wasn't able to cash in the old unit to get that discount, but it was more than made up for in pricing.

It'll be another week or 2 before it's called on to do a difficult job. We'll see what happens at that time. But in the meantime the speed control works. :-)

So if you want a Vita-Mix but want one better than the home units, contact your local restaurant supplier for a price. I never expected the deal that I got.
I guess it's universal, I've had almost the exact experience with a home/industrial immersion blender, price-wise.

1 76
 02-25-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 06:42 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: When we have a blending job it's almost never a job that an ordinary blender can handle and a food processor doesn't have enough capacity, is to slow, and doesn't produce the texture I want. Many years ago during the NYC Worlds Fair my dad bought our first Vita-Mix and I was impressed back then. Except for when the wife and I first got married I've had V-Mixes ever since. We use them very hard. We did have a Oster for a time, but it didn't hold up and was only suitable for light duty.

Did you ask about repairing your existing unit? I'm pretty sure they could replace the speed control for you.

I have one too from 1993, and that baby is still going strong! It looks like a carnival ride with its chrome case and sparkley label lol!!! I did have to replace the pitcher because the bearings went bad, but other than that it's still a workhorse!

Any time I see or hear someone asking about blenders I always recommend the Vita-Mix. You just can't go wrong with one!

6 291
 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM
User Info

From my research when I was looking to purchase my first vitamix a few years back, the commercial units warranty was about a third of the home model. Can't remember what mine is, maybe a 570 , it was a step or 2 up from the base, I have no regrets, its a fantastic blender

26 753
 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM
User Info
Yeah, I'm not concerned with the warranty really. They expect the industrial units to be used hard, but also far more (continuously) than we use ours.

Vigelantesd, I'm not opposed to getting the old one repaired. I wanted to give it away, the wife wants to hold onto it so and it's in storage "just in case". Our V-M is really a critical piece of cooking gear and we can't be without one.

32 6,424
 02-25-2017, 11:30 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 10:30 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Vigelantesd, I'm not opposed to getting the old one repaired. I wanted to give it away, the wife wants to hold onto it so and it's in storage "just in case". Our V-M is really a critical piece of cooking gear and we can't be without one.

It's an absolute necessity IMO! I don't blame her haha! =P
Have it repaired while the good one is working well so "just in case" the old one can pinch hit without a beat!

=)

6 291
 02-25-2017, 12:08 PM
User Info
swmbo loves the vitamix

34 872
 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM
User Info
I love my VM 200 and have had it over a decade at this point. 

Once I melted the bottom on the stove.  I shipped it in and they repaired it for free and sent me a new container as well.  They are pricey, but well worth the expense in my opinion.

18 582
 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM
User Info
Got our VM last year and it's the single best cooking purchase I have ever made. I make watermelon juice with mine at least once a week.

58 1,383
 03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
User Info
I sent off the old V-M the other day for repairs. Basically $100 give or take with shipping to and from for only the motor base. Maybe we'll sell it, maybe we'll keep it. No decision at this time. No real need to keep it, but I know the wife will want to have it on hand "just in case". Our V-M is a critical piece of gear.

U-N, yes, I agree. it's one of the critical pieces of cooking gear that we have as well and we won't be without one. The others are the Ankarsrum Assistent* and the Primo kamado. OK, I love my newish Blue Star oven too. As we get older we poop on the junk stuff and go with what works to make life easy and the heck with cost. I should have done that decades ago and saved a bunch of cash. There's a lesson in that. Always go with quality; it's less expensive in the long run.

*We had a Kitchen Aid but it's just not up to the tasks we put it to and we sold it after repairing it. My brother had 3 Kitchen Aids, and after moving to Ankarsrum hasn't looked back. Yeah, it's expensive. Do it once, do it right, have it forever. Plus, it just works better.

32 6,424
 03-04-2017, 02:14 AM
User Info
(03-02-2017, 09:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I sent off the old V-M the other day for repairs. Basically $100 give or take with shipping to and from for only the motor base. Maybe we'll sell it, maybe we'll keep it. No decision at this time. No real need to keep it, but I know the wife will want to have it on hand "just in case". Our V-M is a critical piece of gear.

U-N, yes, I agree. it's one of the critical pieces of cooking gear that we have as well and we won't be without one. The others are the Ankarsrum Assistent* and the Primo kamado. OK, I love my newish Blue Star oven too. As we get older we poop on the junk stuff and go with what works to make life easy and the heck with cost. I should have done that decades ago and saved a bunch of cash. There's a lesson in that. Always go with quality; it's less expensive in the long run.

*We had a Kitchen Aid but it's just not up to the tasks we put it to and we sold it after repairing it. My brother had 3 Kitchen Aids, and after moving to Ankarsrum hasn't looked back. Yeah, it's expensive. Do it once, do it right, have it forever. Plus, it just works better.
So true about quality and saving in the long run - it's just that sometimes quality is out of reach.

1 76
 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
DJ, I understand that, especially for folks on a fixed income or folks with special needs. But before I was retired I would talk to folks pulling in good money and who didn't have two cents to rub together. They were pissing away their money on crap. Many folks can reign in their foolish spending that's only designed to impress folks and actually get stuff that's usable and lots more in the long run and better stuff.

One gent was discussing how he had all of these toys and couldn't afford to insure their use. I suggested to him that he had too many toys, no time to use them anyway, and maybe he should get rid of some so that he could actually afford to make sure he had insurance for those that he really liked using. You'd have thought I called him a murderer from the way he looked at me. I knew a huge number of folks like that where I worked. They had no clue as to actually husband their money and if their paycheck was late for just a short time they were truly screwed. I couldn't imagine living that way. Buying now and paying over time is just for losers and another way folks don't husband their money. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pay over 20% interest to have something now when if they just save their money, can pay cash and not be a slave to their creditor? I never understood that mindset and still can't.

My point is that people are worth the money here (pointing to my head) long before they're worth the money here (pointing to the pocket holding my billfold).

For most folks it's just getting their head squared away so that they can figure things out. Yes, there are some who are caught up in circumstances beyond their control.

OK, case in point... myself. I'd love to have a boat. But I wouldn't have the time to use it. I don't have a boat. I'd love to have a snowmobile, but I really don't have the time to use. I don't have a snowmobile. Do I want them? Yes, but the adult me kicks in and tells me no since I can't use them even though I live in the middle of where the potential exists to use them. At some point reality has to set in with folks. I do have the time to cook since I eat food and won't buy it out. I think more of myself than to suffer that sort of food and I have good health because of it (yet more cost savings). So I have decent cooking gear. There are hobbies that I do have time for and my gear for them is every bit as good as my cooking gear. But that's because I've decided what it is that I want to do. Screw keeping up with the Joneses, I'll be my own man. If the Joneses don't like it I really don't care. They maybe can compete with the Clarks down the road a bit. I wish them well. Everyone gets what they want out of life except maybe for the 1st folks I previously mentioned (1st paragraph). Everyone else has the same opportunity in the USA. They just need to grab it by the horns and claim it as their own.

My neighbor claims that I'm strange with a smile on his face, and I claim that he's strange and we're both correct in our individual way. But we're both doing fine and each following our own drummer. I think more folks need to do that. BTW, my neighbor helps me and I help him. We both do what we can for the other. We're both decent, yet strange, gents.

But what started as a thread about a blender has turned into something else. That's OK. I started the thread and it can go anywhere at this point.

BTW, the new V-M works much better than the last. But it's also more machine. In 2 days we'll use it really hard to fully find it's potential.

32 6,424
 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM
User Info
Used it the first time the other day for myself. I didn't want any surprises for tomorrow when we use it really hard for the first time. It did what the old machine did in less than  1/2 the time during the test run. There will be a learning curve, But it appears capable. I'll know much more after tomorrow when we make 5 gallons of dog food. The Vita-Mix does for the dogs what they aren't programmed or built to do... chew their veggies. Our vet loves what our fresh food does for our dogs.

32 6,424
 03-09-2017, 03:41 AM
User Info
(03-07-2017, 02:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: DJ, I understand that, especially for folks on a fixed income or folks with special needs. But before I was retired I would talk to folks pulling in good money and who didn't have two cents to rub together. They were pissing away their money on crap. Many folks can reign in their foolish spending that's only designed to impress folks and actually get stuff that's usable and lots more in the long run and better stuff.

One gent was discussing how he had all of these toys and couldn't afford to insure their use. I suggested to him that he had too many toys, no time to use them anyway, and maybe he should get rid of some so that he could actually afford to make sure he had insurance for those that he really liked using. You'd have thought I called him a murderer from the way he looked at me. I knew a huge number of folks like that where I worked. They had no clue as to actually husband their money and if their paycheck was late for just a short time they were truly screwed. I couldn't imagine living that way. Buying now and paying over time is just for losers and another way folks don't husband their money. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pay over 20% interest to have something now when if they just save their money, can pay cash and not be a slave to their creditor? I never understood that mindset and still can't.

My point is that people are worth the money here (pointing to my head) long before they're worth the money here (pointing to the pocket holding my billfold).

For most folks it's just getting their head squared away so that they can figure things out. Yes, there are some who are caught up in circumstances beyond their control.

OK, case in point... myself. I'd love to have a boat. But I wouldn't have the time to use it. I don't have a boat. I'd love to have a snowmobile, but I really don't have the time to use. I don't have a snowmobile. Do I want them? Yes, but the adult me kicks in and tells me no since I can't use them even though I live in the middle of where the potential exists to use them. At some point reality has to set in with folks. I do have the time to cook since I eat food and won't buy it out. I think more of myself than to suffer that sort of food and I have good health because of it (yet more cost savings). So I have decent cooking gear. There are hobbies that I do have time for and my gear for them is every bit as good as my cooking gear. But that's because I've decided what it is that I want to do. Screw keeping up with the Joneses, I'll be my own man. If the Joneses don't like it I really don't care. They maybe can compete with the Clarks down the road a bit. I wish them well. Everyone gets what they want out of life except maybe for the 1st folks I previously mentioned (1st paragraph). Everyone else has the same opportunity in the USA. They just need to grab it by the horns and claim it as their own.

My neighbor claims that I'm strange with a smile on his face, and I claim that he's strange and we're both correct in our individual way. But we're both doing fine and each following our own drummer. I think more folks need to do that. BTW, my neighbor helps me and I help him. We both do what we can for the other. We're both decent, yet strange, gents.

But what started as a thread about a blender has turned into something else. That's OK. I started the thread and it can go anywhere at this point.

BTW, the new V-M works much better than the last. But it's also more machine. In 2 days we'll use it really hard to fully find it's potential.
Couldn't agree more. People look at me like I'm crazy when I share such sentiments. On the other hand, I just don't get the mindset of buying for the sake of owning, like that guy you mentioned on paragraph 1. Why would anyone care about my "inventory list"? Even more so, why would I care what they think? Life is too short for living it for other people. On the other end of the spectrum, there are people who are... "frugal" to the extreme when it comes to tools. I have a good friend who is a foodie (I'm in that category as well, since I like cooking), and oddly, he would splurge on the cosmetics of tools, but for the "drivers", the tools he uses the most, and every day, several times a day he would buy the cheapest he can find (so they break, melt, what not), and the user experience suffers as well. My two cents are more like: I buy tools. Those tools need to serve their purpose. They don't have to look fancy. They need to be useful, and function when I need them, and be durable. They might cost me more than the alternatives, but if they continue to perform like they should and therefore I don't need to spend extra money on replacements, or the hassle to replace them, then it's well worth the extra money. Usually, that also translates to the user experience. I'd rather pay the extra $ if it means that using these tools is a joy, instead of grumbling in the face of a task. I got rid of items that proved to be an annoyance - if it's a hassle, it won't be used, and things won't get done. Having said that, some people confuse a higher price with better quality, but that's a completely other thread just for that... Smile

Good to hear that the new VM is a beast. I wonder if it's due to it being a pro/commercial model, or just improvements over the years?

1 76
 03-09-2017, 08:42 AM
User Info
I think it's due to the commercial grade. The home owner grade has essentially the same motor as our old one. The Vita-Prep has one additional HP. There are some other changes as well, soft start being one, but that doesn't affect the actual chopping/blending action. It just prevents the contents from roaring up to the lid as the machine is started.

Hopefully they im[proved the speed control. Ours didn't last long with out previous V-M. But I lived with it for years. What it would do is have a mind of it's own. I could set it to lowest speed, start it and it could run at full RPM, then decide to slow to mid speed, then go to low speed. Merely touch the control and it would speed up, stay there for awhile and slow down. That was a common complaint I ran into online. Hopefully the speed control lasts longer.

BTW, I sent out the old one to get it refurbished last week and it'll be delivered to us tomorrow. Fast turn around!

32 6,424
 03-09-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
(03-09-2017, 08:42 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I think it's due to the commercial grade. The home owner grade has essentially the same motor as our old one. The Vita-Prep has one additional HP. There are some other changes as well, soft start being one, but that doesn't affect the actual chopping/blending action. It just prevents the contents from roaring up to the lid as the machine is started.

Hopefully they im[proved the speed control. Ours didn't last long with out previous V-M. But I lived with it for years. What it would do is have a mind of it's own. I could set it to lowest speed, start it and it could run at full RPM, then decide to slow to mid speed, then go to low speed. Merely touch the control and it would speed up, stay there for awhile and slow down. That was a common complaint I ran into online. Hopefully the speed control lasts longer.

BTW, I sent out the old one to get it refurbished last week and it'll be delivered to us tomorrow. Fast turn around!

The speed control on mine is a little wonky too, but only at around the 4 mark. It likes to slow down and sometimes stop there, and sometimes goes back to that speed on its own. I just avoid that spot and it works fine for my needs. If it ever gets much worse I'll send it in. That said, not bad for a 24 year d blender =)

6 291
 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM
User Info
Our machines speed control was cattywumpus throughout the entire range. But less noticeable at the higher speeds because how much more could it increase?

I used the new machine today for the 5 gallons of dog food. It's not just a little better than the old one, it's a great deal better! I got done "chewing" the veggies for the dogs food and I had a feeling that I had forgotten something. But everything was all in the pot. I just didn't have to fight the machine at all. There was no overheating and running it on slow to cool it down... no nonsense at all.

I maintain the thought that for most users the home owner type unit is plenty of machine. The wife and I aren't the typical home users though.

32 6,424
 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
User Info
Finally decided to go with a Blendtec. The D625. Man, this thing is a beast! It feels like it can double as a wood chipper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 76