02-25-2017, 08:40 AM
User Info
Beards have had a long stretch of popularity, but I keep reading that the clean shaven look is making a comeback. I have never let my beard grow for more than a couple of weeks, and even then it looked pretty scraggly. I have friends who can grow a fairly good looking beard in about a week. I wonder whether the majority of traditional wet shaving enthusiasts are guys like me who struggle to grow a decent looking beard.

0 88
 02-25-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
I've had a van dyke for 25 years and just got into the traditional wet shaving about 5 years ago.  neither affected the decision about the other.  I got into traditional wetshaving through the oft heard progression of  " carts are expensive --> carts didn't give me a comfortable shave --> DEs are cheaper --> wow, I never knew a shave could be this comfortable --> uhhh, how did I end up with so many razors, blades, and soaps!"

BTW, my beard is a bit scraggly too.

13 1,159
 02-25-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
My beard grows in quickly, and is pretty full. A week and it's noticible im growing it in, two weeks and it's going strong.

7 305
 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
I can grow a pretty full beard rather quickly, but I keep a van dyke (goatee + mustache). I quite like shaving, and miss it in the rare occasions that I grow a beard.

I'm fairly certain a short beard/stubble is still a strong trend right now.

26 982
 02-25-2017, 09:22 AM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 08:46 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: I've had a van dyke for 25 years and just got into the traditional wet shaving about 5 years ago.  neither affected the decision about the other.  I got into traditional wetshaving through the oft heard progression of  " carts are expensive --> carts didn't give me a comfortable shave --> DEs are cheaper --> wow, I never knew a shave could be this comfortable --> uhhh, how did I end up with so many razors, blades, and soaps!"

BTW, my beard is a bit scraggly too.
Dear Fishman;

yes! i found out that some carts are expensive.  some others are not.  then again, you get what you pay for.  and for me, my friend, a good wet shave is priceless...

guess that mostly everybody in the forum has lost count of the $$ spent, or are really against finding out (me) jeje... in other words, i guess most people would agree with me on the priceless thing.

mmmm... just found out that a professional barber wet shave with all the addendums go for more or less $50.  So, at the end of the day, we are saving money, or at least we can say that to our ladies and change the subject real quick... jajajajajaja

best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM
User Info
I can grow a full on caveman beard that looks good (according to the ladies) in three weeks or so... but I enjoy shaving too much to do it again.

3 4,370
 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I can grow a beard, but it irritates my face, so I shave every day. I also enjoy shaving since switching to DE razors 2.5 years ago.

3 529
 02-25-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
My beard sucks.  I have seen high school kids with better facial hair than I am capable of growing.

Shaving is the best option for me.

18 586
 02-28-2017, 04:32 PM
User Info
I've had a beard on and off (90% on) for the last 30 years, due primarily to cartridge irritation. I can't seem to make myself shave it off at this point, though I keep thinking I should consider a Van Dyke so I can shave more of my face. Wink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 59
 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM
User Info
When I do grow a beard (usually in November, for Movember), it gets pretty full in 2 weeks but I feel cheated by only shaving my neck.  Dodgy

73 4,269
 03-01-2017, 04:16 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
A little over 30, maybe closer to 35, years ago when the bars were full of beards and urban cowboys I had one. It took about a week to grow it in. I kept it trimmed to a fingers width deep and had it for some years until I received a generous job offer that came with losing the beard as it's only condition.

7 2,279
 03-01-2017, 05:11 AM
User Info
I can grow a good beard and usually carry a goatee. I wish more guys with scraggly beards woukd shave them.

1 143
 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don't like any kind of facial hair, either on me or another person (including my wife).  I have always enjoyed shaving; it leaves me feeling clean and invigorated.  If I let my facial hair grow I feel grubby and unkempt.  I don't have a heavy beard and it's reddish in colour.  Two consecutive days of not shaving is about all I can take comfortably,  although I've been known to tolerate several days when I go into the bush.

5 882
 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
  • Quando
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I view shaving & growing a beard as part of the same thing.  Shaving my entire face will allow me, when the time comes, to grow an absolutely amazing moustache.  And, then, two years later, a full beard.  I shall continue to shave when I have this beard, though, as it will need to be kept in line, on the top part of my cheeks, so that random hairs will never clutter my face, nor, distract from my manly follicles.  Several years after this, I shall cease shaving the neck, switch to a straight razor to line up the top part, and, grow my hair down to my shoulders.  I will & shall be an old man, by this point, but, that is okay.  Shaving now is preparing my face to grow a beard.

1 560
 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-01-2017, 09:12 AM)Rufus Wrote: I don't like any kind of facial hair, either on me or another person (including my wife).  I have always enjoyed shaving; it leaves me feeling clean and invigorated.  If I let my facial hair grow I feel grubby and unkempt.  I don't have a heavy beard and it's reddish in colour.  Two consecutive days of not shaving is about all I can take comfortably,  although I've been known to tolerate several days when I go into the bush.

Rufus, I feel the same way. I can not bear to go a day without a good BBS shave. I feel dirty even after a shower if I don't shave as well. When I was young and influenced by fashion I had a beard for awhile. Mine came in dark and would phase through to a copper and blond during summer beach days before the next trim. My hair is a very dark brown.

7 2,279
 03-01-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 09:12 AM)Rufus Wrote: I don't like any kind of facial hair, either on me or another person (including my wife).  I have always enjoyed shaving; it leaves me feeling clean and invigorated.  If I let my facial hair grow I feel grubby and unkempt.  I don't have a heavy beard and it's reddish in colour.  Two consecutive days of not shaving is about all I can take comfortably,  although I've been known to tolerate several days when I go into the bush.

Daily shaving seems to have a salutary effect on the skin, and most men look a bit younger when clean shaven. Needing upwards of a month to grow a presentable beard is a strong incentive to go for the clean-shaven look, and the morning ritual of shaving carefully with a really good brush, fine soap and a vintage DE razor is a delight.

0 88
 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM
User Info
I grew a good beard for Movember.  Gladly shaved it off on December 1.  I like a clean, closely shaved face too much.

2 81