02-25-2017, 09:43 AM
User Info
don't know if this is the right place to post this.  couldn't find any better...

Dear traveling nookers;

Vacations are coming up.  I will travel from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Miami, which is considered local, then to Mexico City, international of course. 

I need to know what i can bring carry on and what i can't bring.  Then, i need to know what i can bring in registered luggage and what i can't bring.

But what i really want to know is what you traveling guys bring in your travels.  And how you pack it and-or transport it all.

Thanks for your responses...

Pepe Peña

0 307
 02-25-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
DE and SE with a blade in it is likely to be taken away from you. A pack of blades in your carry-on will definitely be taken away from you. Carts and disposables are okay.
Tubes of shaving cream will be considered a liquid, so if you choose that you must find a tube that holds less than 100ml (not just a larger tube with less than 100ml left). Soaps and shavesticks should be no trouble.

The TSA website have a fairly comprehensive list of what you can and can't bring. When I travel I either fly with military aircraft (ie: everything in two bags, and even more uncomfortable seats) of put my shaving gear in checked luggage.

3 3,887
 02-25-2017, 01:30 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I once lost a jar of Catie's Bubbles soap with the TSA. Hence, also soap is not always safe, when in a larger container.

33 1,750
 02-25-2017, 01:31 PM
User Info
(02-25-2017, 01:30 PM)German Wrote: I once lost a jar of Catie's Bubbles soap with the TSA. Hence, also soap is not always safe, when in a larger container.

Can it go in registered luggage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 307
 02-25-2017, 05:30 PM
User Info
I check in my entire shave kit. Razor, blades, soap or cream. It makes it straight forward if you intend to check in bags. I don't carry any irreplaceable or overly expensive gear in case it gets lost. I do throw a disposable razor in my carry on just in case my bag gets lost.

9 554
 02-25-2017, 08:20 PM
User Info
I have an inexpensive synthetic, and carry a cart & shave stick. Always carry-on, never check my bags.

17 725
 02-26-2017, 05:50 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
First, you need to check with the airlines to determine what is allowable in the cabin and in checked luggage, as well as size and weight allowances; not all airlines are the same although the are general parameters all airlines must adhere to.  For myself, I carry all my shaving gear in my hand luggage: cartridge razor, shaving soap stick, shaving brush, styptic pencil go in my dopp bag; aftershave and other liquids/creams go in 100ml or smaller containers in the prescribed clear, resealable plastic bag.  To go one step further, I always take a change of clothes (underwear, socks and shirt) in my carry-on just in case my checked bags don't arrive with me; I've spent most of my adult life travelling domestically and internationally and have learned the hard way to be prepared.

5 819
 03-12-2017, 03:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-25-2017, 09:43 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear traveling nookers;

But what i really want to know is what you traveling guys bring in your travels.  And how you pack it and-or transport it all.

Please pardon the compositional quality of the photo below.  This past week, I said good-bye to one knee that had served me well for nearly three-quarters of a century, and, with a chromium-cobalt replacement, became a semi-bionic man (I am still waiting for the $6 million, however).  As I am currently limited in my mobility, after I had lined up the shaving items and saw that I had chosen a bad angle for light, I moved the tripod and camera, but negligently did not rotate the labels on the brush and shaving stick, and I set the aperture a bit too wide to get the optimum depth of field; I promise to do better next time.  

My bride and I travel a lot by air (privileges remaining from her previous employer and our extensive family in Japan), and so we travel very light, usually carrying only luggage that we can bring into the cabin with us.  As is well-known, United States TSA regulations do not allow DE razor blades into a commercial airplane cabin. Here, then, is my entire kit:  

[Image: wzfLDIi.jpg]

Delta Air Lines toiletry bag
(given gratis to Business Class passengers on trans-Pacific flights)
Feather MR3 neo razor
Unbranded brush holder from Em’s Place
L’Occitane Plisson (original) synthetic brush
Mystic Water Vetiver & Oak Moss shave stick

That’s it.   Works a treat, and I have no sense whatsoever that I am “roughing it” when I am out of the country.

0 916
 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(02-25-2017, 01:31 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 01:30 PM)German Wrote: I once lost a jar of Catie's Bubbles soap with the TSA. Hence, also soap is not always safe, when in a larger container.

Can it go in registered luggage?

Yes.

33 1,750
 03-12-2017, 04:44 PM
User Info
Dear Mr. M;

We all hope that you have a speedy recovery. Those replacements are a whole lot better than the previos part. Jeje. So you will be up and running in no time. The only thing that can hold you back (a little) is your other knee....

I kind of miss you wisdom around here. Welcome back.

I have settled in bringing a gillette fusion along. 4 carts for it cost $16 here in puerto rico. And even in some people say that they last a lot, for me they last two good shaves. I notice performance degradation during the third, and it is in the bin after the fourth. Maybe i will reduce it to 3. We will see.

What i have come to realize is that i will have to stick to the same routine for a whole week! Of course, you my friend travel a lot and are probably saying: nonsense. But for me, who have traveled a grand total of 10 days in the last decade... well, you get the idea.

Clarification: i dont include sailing my boat in the virgin island as traveling. It is too close to home and the fact that the boat is like a second home and i get to bring along anything i want makes it a different subject.

The thing is that i love wet shaving in part for the variety, the combinations, the mix of scents, textures. I calculate that i can get roughly 5 million different combinations with the things that are in my bathroom right now.

So i have to stick to one combo for a week? :-/ and dont bring anything irreplaceable? Agrrrr!!!

Well. I will probably compensate by by hunting for shaving stuff in the drug stores of Mexico City. Jeje.

Salutation Mr. Meles,

Pepe Peña

P. D. Dont worry about the pic. It looks great.

0 307
 03-12-2017, 06:31 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 03:01 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Please pardon the compositional quality of the photo below.  This past week, I said good-bye to one knee that had served me well for nearly three-quarters of a century, and, with a chromium-cobalt replacement, became a semi-bionic man (I am still waiting for the $6 million, however).  As I am currently limited in my mobility
All the best on your recovery Tom!

9 554
 03-13-2017, 09:01 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Pepe, I travelled overseas last month and the shave aspect was a piece of cake! When packing to leave I saw that the dopp kit took up a lot of valuable space in my suitcase. So here's what and how I packed in my checked bag.

Chubby 2 synth in the travel tube fit perfectly, slid into one shoe. A Merkur 42C (inexpensive and easily replaceable) with a tuck of blades fit neatly in the tan Asylum (by Ed Engler) razor case. That and an Omega alum stick fit perfectly in the other shoe. A jar of Valobra unscented was stashed between a couple of shirts.

I didn't bring any other accessories. No pre or post shave balm, no aftershave or cologne, no razor or brush stand, nothing. I had great, scentless shaves for a week, and transporting my gear was a breeze!

Good luck and safe travels Smile

1 1,606
 03-13-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 09:01 AM)chazt Wrote: Pepe, I travelled overseas last month and the shave aspect was a piece of cake! When packing to leave I saw that the dopp kit took up a lot of valuable space in my suitcase. So here's what and how I packed in my checked bag.

Chubby 2 synth in the travel tube fit perfectly, slid into one shoe. A Merkur 42C (inexpensive and easily replaceable) with a tuck of blades fit neatly in the tan Asylum (by Ed Engler) razor case. That and an Omega alum stick fit perfectly in the other shoe. A jar of Valobra unscented was stashed between a couple of shirts.

I didn't bring any other accessories. No pre or post shave balm, no aftershave or cologne, no razor or brush stand, nothing. I had great, scentless shaves for a week, and transporting my gear was a breeze!

Good luck and safe travels Smile

Mmmmm. That way i can bring some more stuff so i can make combinations... :-))) thanx tons.

0 307
 03-14-2017, 03:07 AM
User Info
I know, from first hand  experience, that, for US flights, you need to check your shaving kit, if it contains razor blades, unless they are in an unopened, and, sealed, plastic package. Because, in the eyes of US "Homeland Security," plastic stops terrorism. 

I have no idea about Canadian flights.  I have no idea about Canadian anything, to be honest.  No one does.  That is part of the reason they are called "the Frozen Land of Mystery."

For most of Europe, you should be okay to have your shaving kit, in your carry-on.

ETA:  For train travel, you should be good, anywhere.

0 145
 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
This isn't rocket science, chaps.  Just check with the airline you'll be travelling on as to what is permitted in the cabin and what is permitted in the hold.  You'll find all you need to know on the airline's website; even Canadian airlines.

5 819
 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

0 90
 03-15-2017, 03:44 PM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 10:33 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

come on. go ahead! tell us. let us know! best regards, pp.

0 307
 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 03:44 PM)carlospppena Wrote:

come on. go ahead! tell us. let us know! best regards, pp.

Do you like Gladiator movies?

Just kidding.  It's best not to take anything valuable in the checked luggage.

0 90
 03-16-2017, 12:35 AM
User Info
Mell, I have not net you yet but welcome back, it is always scary to go to the sawbones for anything, always worried  I will hear that Hotel Calif. song.....

0 25
 03-16-2017, 07:54 PM
User Info

Ha - Well, yes.  The Four Seasons in Istanbul is converted from a prison - very nice, and it certainly looks secure!!!!

0 9