02-26-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
I have mentioned this in passing in another thread, but am I correct i thinking that all Gillette DE razors are variations on the TTO, TTO adjustable and the Tech?

0 88
 02-26-2017, 12:13 PM
User Info
Not quite.. you also have the Old (the original DE), the New, and New Improved... possible more, but someone more versed in Gillette history can fill that in.

3 4,495
 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
User Info
But, again, aren't the old, the new, and the new improved just variation on the Tech?

0 88
 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-26-2017, 12:39 PM)Ilnones Wrote: But, again, aren't the old, the new, and the new improved just variation on the Tech?

No, they're quite different.

Take a look at mr-razor's site.

49 1,996
 02-27-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 12:40 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 12:39 PM)Ilnones Wrote: But, again, aren't the old, the new, and the new improved just variation on the Tech?

No, they're quite different.

Take a look at mr-razor's site.

Variations are different by definition--they vary--but my point is that TTOs are similar to each other and different from, say, Techs, which are all similar to each other. Three basic models with variations.

0 88
 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 08:48 AM)Ilnones Wrote: Variations are different by definition--they vary--but my point is that TTOs are similar to each other and different from, say, Techs, which are all similar to each other. Three basic models with variations.

In a highly simplistic way, I guess this is true. This is also like saying that people can move backward, stopped, or go forward. I also think that its misleading to claim that the old, NEW and NEW Improved are variations on the tech. Those versions preexisted the Tech by close to forty years.

I'm trying to figure out by what you're trying to get at here? If you want to be reductionist, any razor is a variation on scraping a sharp rock across one's face to cut hair off. In this sense, all Gillettes are variations.

84 1,505
 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM
User Info
Logically speaking, how can the Single Ring which came more than 30 years before, be considered a variation on the Tech ? That's just silly. The Tech features a solid safety bar, stamped base blate , and secures a blade at its corners, none of those things being characteristic of the pre 1939 razors which evolved from the Double Ring.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 216
 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM
User Info
This is a handy resource.  When I was a serious collector, I wish I had it:  http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes.  Major model evolution is here:  http://www.razorarchive.com/f232039621

Most of the models and many variants are on Mr. Razor's site.

73 4,303
 02-27-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
All DE razors are just mechanisms designed to hold a razor blade so it can be used to cut whiskers shorter on your face.  In that sense, the similarities among all the DE razors out there far outweigh their differences.  

If one wanted to think through razor designs by true differences, I'm not sure a TTO would qualify as different in any real way from a 3-piece razor.  The only real difference is the way the blade is loaded.  But how do they present the blade to the face?   

I'd say that razors could better be divided in the following fashion: 

1) Small or non-existent gap, larger blade exposure.  The Old Type would be the prototype of this group. 

2) Medium to large gap, small or non-existent blade exposure.  The Pils and the Hone type 15a would be examples of this. 

3) Extreme blade curvature.  The Merkur bakelite would be an example.

4) Holding the blade virtually flat.  The Tradere and the iKon SBS would be examples.  

You could then further characterize by open comb or safety bar.  

That's just an off-the-top-of-my-head way of beginning to look at the question of differences in razor design that a functionally truly different.

2 1,460
 02-27-2017, 01:32 PM
User Info
Okay, one more try: Three-piece razors come in a variety of models and are more different from TTO razors than they are from each other. TTO razors also come in a variety of models and are different from adjustable razors, which also come in a variety of models, especially as the mechanism for adjustment became more sophisticated. Three basic razors with different models. Is there a basic razor that I've missed? The toggle maybe?

0 88
 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 01:32 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Okay, one more try: Three-piece razors come in a variety of models and are more different from TTO razors than they are from each other. TTO razors also come in a variety of models and are different from adjustable razors, which also come in a variety of models, especially as the mechanism for adjustment became more sophisticated. Three basic razors with different models. Is there a basic razor that I've missed? The toggle maybe?

The Toggle is an adjustable that is very similar to the Fatboy; you can argue that since the doors open via a different mechanism, it's different, but I'd make the exact opposite argument.  The doors open exactly as though they had been twisted to open, and the construction of the doors is essentially identical to that of the Fatboy.  I'd say the two razors, from the perspective of "differences," are essentially identical. 

It's like if you ate a fried egg and you tried to say that one was different from the other because in the one case you banged the egg shell on the frying pan to crack it open and in the other you used the counter top.

2 1,460
 02-27-2017, 01:55 PM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 01:32 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Okay, one more try: Three-piece razors come in a variety of models and are more different from TTO razors than they are from each other. TTO razors also come in a variety of models and are different from adjustable razors, which also come in a variety of models, especially as the mechanism for adjustment became more sophisticated. Three basic razors with different models. Is there a basic razor that I've missed? The toggle maybe?
Just not buying this. A Tech is closer to a Super Speed or Slim Twist in terms of how the blade is secured and shave qualities than it is to a Single Ring. You're straining to find a commonality for no particular reason I can discern.

1 216
 02-27-2017, 02:22 PM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 01:55 PM)jmudrick Wrote:
Just not buying this. A Tech is closer to a  Super Speed or Slim Twist in terms of how the blade is secured and shave qualities than it is to a Single Ring. You're straining to find a commonality for no particular reason I can discern.

I give up.

0 88
 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM
User Info
you came to the right conclusion.

8 1,127
 02-27-2017, 04:40 PM
User Info

Are you trying to make a evolutionary "tree" for Gillette razors? And if so what is your basis? The mechanical design? If that's true, then adjustable razors would probably fit under TTO since they themselves were TTO. There were only four adjustable razors and two (toggle and fat boy) were only short runs.

Gillette's three piece razors lasted pretty much the entire century.

84 1,505