02-26-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info
Since I've never owned or used any DE blades before, what are some relatively inexpensive yet good quality DE blades I can start out with that are readily available here in the U.S.? Also; what should I look for when buying new DE blades?
Thanks

0 35
 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
You may consider a sample pack from a vendor such as Bullgoose Shaving. It will give you an idea of the different offerings and you can make a decision on a favorite by comparing shave characteristics.

Good Luck!

57 3,873
 02-26-2017, 10:22 AM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 09:07 AM)eengler Wrote: You may consider a sample pack from a vendor such as Bullgoose Shaving. It will give you an idea of the different offerings and you can make a decision on a favorite by comparing shave characteristics.

Good Luck!

starter pack is good.  i did and i don't regret it.  but, if i knew then what i know now (that is not a lot), i would have gone in another way.  what i would do is spend some time reading the blade threads (here of course, in the nook!).  after a while you will find that most people trash some brands, and worship others. naturally there are going to be rebels, or people that had a good experience with an ill reputed brand and vice versa.  but the thing is that i would put my own sample pack, saving a couple of pennies and a LOT of time in the process. 

in other words, order a small pack of 5 feathers, kai, astra, blue, yellow and black gillette, polisilver.... whichever you think are the ones that the knowledgable gents in the forums talk good about. get at least five or six.  start from there, because the blade thing is very very personal. give more weight to the posters that are ¨moderator emeritus¨ and stuff like that.  you will have a very interesting and fulfilling journey...

best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 298
 02-26-2017, 10:24 AM
User Info
Check out tryablade.com
Without getting too deep into the different blade manufacturers.
Try Russian Gillette blades from St. Petersburg...Astra, SharpEdge Yellows, GSB
Israeli Personnas
Lord blades, like Shark.
Tryablade is a good resource for looking at who makes the blade and where it's from.
I would recommend a tuck of Astra SP to get you into the game.
The thing is you need to be prepared to spend a little time trying half a dozen blades, at least, before you find a true friend.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1 65
 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM
User Info
Starter packs are nice, but I would suggest starting with a blade that many likes to hone the technique before trying more blades. Green Astra would be my suggestion.

3 3,886
 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-26-2017, 10:24 AM)kberga69 Wrote: The thing is you need to be prepared to spend a little time trying half a dozen blades, at least, before you find a true friend.

Our good contributor carlospppena made a suggestion above (with which I whole-heartedly agree) that, if followed, would amend the sentence above to read:

“The thing is you need to be prepared to spend a little time trying half a dozen — each of several different — blades, at least, before you find a true friend.”

0 916
 02-26-2017, 01:34 PM
User Info
Blades are very much a matter of personal preference. I imagine a lot of it has to do with your facial hair and skin type. Sample packs can help, but if you're just starting, limiting variables is important, so you might try a nice well-behaved blade like the Astra greens mentioned above, or Personna lab blues.  If you go to your local drug or dollar store, check the DE blades there.  If they're made in Israel, they could be private-labeled Personna reds, which are also nice.  The added benefit is that they're available locally. Better deals can be had online, but private label blades are easy to get and are a fairly inexpensive way to get started if you don't have a shaving shop in your area.

0 998
 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info
You probably get the picture by now that blades are based on personal preference; what may work great for one may be mediocre for another. The good news is that compared to all the other soft and hard equipment we use for wet shaving, blades are cheap! Some blades you may want to try out are: Perma-Sharp Super, Persona Platinum Red Pack (sold in packs of ten so very affordable), Polsilver, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Black. Don't go over board and get fifteen different brands; instead, try out two to five different brands at a time. Stick to one to three and hone your technique, then you can try out others after a few weeks when you get the hang of wet shaving and know more of what you want in a blade.

1 91
 02-26-2017, 05:01 PM
User Info
(02-26-2017, 10:24 AM)kberga69 Wrote: Check out tryablade.com
Without getting too deep into the different blade manufacturers.
Try Russian Gillette blades from St. Petersburg...Astra, SharpEdge Yellows, GSB
Israeli Personnas
Lord blades, like Shark.
Tryablade is a good resource for looking at who makes the blade and where it's from.
I would recommend a tuck of Astra SP to get you into the game.
The thing is you need to be prepared to spend a little time trying half a dozen blades, at least, before you find a true friend.

Totally concur with this. I bought 20 different blades from tryablade. Some were used once and trashed. Others performed well. But, if you're really a greenhorn, maybe a 5 pack of something like Astra SP would be a good idea (as someone else suggested). They're not toooo sharp and quite smooth for most face types. And, hey, DE blades are cheap. Use 'em for three shaves or so and then replace for a consistent performance. And once your technique is consistent, then you can go crazy with different blades... and razors... and brushes... and bowls... and soaps... and creams... etc., etc.

7 135
 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
I might simply suggest reading through these threads to see what others prefer and why.  There are numerous "Your Top 3 DE Blades" and "Your Worst DE Blades" type threads here with lots of valuable intel in them.  

Blade preference is highly subjective and a function of a variety of things, including skin type, beard type, razor type, among a host of others.

The LAST thing I'd worry about is cost because in the grand scheme of things, it's really the least significant variable.  A $0.30 cent blade might comfortably last 6 shaves whereas a $0.10 cent blade might only last 2 shaves.  Net cost per shave is $0.05 each.  In truth, the variability of cost per shave from blade to blade is only a matter of a penny or two.  Not that big a deal at all - especially considering the cost per shave of the typical cartride is easily ten times the cost of any DE blade.

Personally?  I absolutely love Polsilvers.  Voshkod, Gillette Silver Blues, and several others following closely.

I will never again purchase Merkur, Derby, or Personna blades.  Ever.

Read the threads and find 3 or 4 that sound good to you and purchase a 5-blade pack of each - or do as others have suggested and get a sampler that contains those 3 or 4 which you might like.  My only issue with samplers is that you'll likely end up with several "throw-aways" in the mix.  But that's not a huge issue either.  Both methods will work.  

Good luck and enjoy!

0 374
 02-27-2017, 09:54 PM
User Info
Thank you for the suggestions one and all.

0 35
 02-27-2017, 10:31 PM
User Info
Maggards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 15
 02-28-2017, 04:57 AM
User Info
The razor might dictate which blades work best for you. I think in your blade trials, keep razor the same. my 2 cents. So many blades so little time. Also each blade is not a 100% clone of the previous, so you may find deviations amongst like blades. Enjoy the journey!

33 765
 03-02-2017, 12:25 PM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 10:31 PM)Houdini5150 Wrote: Maggards

Where is Maggards located? It seems to be popular....
Disregard: I finally found it...

0 35
 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM
User Info
I've noticed when I first began looking at DE blades that the vast majority of them seem to be made in Russia. Why is this? Only a comparatively small handful seem to be made in countries OTHER than Russia. Also; I haven't ran across any made in the U.S.A. yet. Which I find a bit unsettling...

0 35
 03-05-2017, 05:01 AM
User Info
Personna makes some blades in the USA. When I look at most things and where they are made, there are fewer and fewer US made anything.

33 765
 03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
User Info
(03-05-2017, 05:01 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Personna makes some blades in the USA. When I look at most things and where they are made, there are fewer and fewer US made anything.

The USA is loosing her steel industry.  Having to import steel is a negative, in any economy.  It is sad that so many have been duped by the term "post-industrial."  There is no such thing as "post-industrial."  You have two choices, in how to live, as human beings.  Either industrialized civilization, or, primitive barbarism.  Once industrialization is lost, civilization, as we know it, will revert to primitive barbarism.

0 145
 03-06-2017, 09:54 AM
User Info
(02-28-2017, 04:57 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: The razor might dictate which blades work best for you. I think in your blade trials, keep razor the same. my 2 cents. So many blades so little time. Also each blade is not a 100% clone of the previous, so you may find deviations amongst like blades. Enjoy the journey!

Agreed. Stick to the same razor for a while! Otherwise you are blindfolded.

0 298