06-15-2017, 02:16 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The one constant is that there is no one constant. Tryablade.com is probably the best way to go. I would suggest getting two, three is better of each blade and use all three before you pass any judgement one it. I would also suggest that after you decide on a favorite or favorites that you do the exact same process every three or so months. As your technique improves what works may change. Be ready to spend some time on this. What works best in this business is often only revealed after many, many uses. It's one reason I started keeping a daily shaving log, so I could look back further than my memory may have served me.

7 2,360
 06-15-2017, 02:45 AM
User Info
Soliciting suggestions is fine, but ultimately you need to try blades to see which ones work best for you.  Over the years I've tried about 40 different blades.

51 6,435
 06-15-2017, 05:06 AM
User Info
(06-15-2017, 02:45 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Soliciting suggestions is fine, but ultimately you need to try blades to see which ones work best for you.  Over the years I've tried about 40 different blades.
+1

39 3,953
 06-15-2017, 05:29 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(06-15-2017, 05:06 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 02:45 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Soliciting suggestions is fine, but ultimately you need to try blades to see which ones work best for you.  Over the years I've tried about 40 different blades.
+1

+1+1. It is absolutely amazing how all of us can have completely different experiences. e.g. I absolutely cannot use Personna, but, it is a fantastic blade for many.

except Bic...I can't think of anyone who makes that the top choice  Tongue Wink

0 360
 06-15-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
Most of the advice in this thread is great for someone who has been shaving with a DE for a few months. In my opinion, as a true beginner you should pick one or two well regarded blades and hone your shaving skills on those. Once you have a hang of how DE shaving works you can begin to tweak things and figure out your preferences. It would be difficult to accurately judge a blade when you have zero experience shaving with one.

If you were learning guitar you wouldn't buy 10 sets of strings. You'd buy one and focus on learning how to play guitar.

0 676
 06-15-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
(06-15-2017, 05:39 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Most of the advice in this thread is great for someone who has been shaving with a DE for a few months. In my opinion, as a true beginner you should pick one or two well regarded blades and hone your shaving skills on those. Once you have a hang of how DE shaving works you can begin to tweak things and figure out your preferences. It would be difficult to accurately judge a blade when you have zero experience shaving with one.

If you were learning guitar you wouldn't buy 10 sets of strings. You'd buy one and focus on learning how to play guitar.

This is the best advice. When i began i could not tell the diference between a shot of tequila and some sunshine.

Read the treads and find something middle of the road that everybody likes like gillette blue silver. Start with that. After a few months you will be able to appreciate the diference between a kai and a derby.

Be pacient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 06-15-2017, 07:29 AM
User Info
(06-15-2017, 05:39 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Most of the advice in this thread is great for someone who has been shaving with a DE for a few months. In my opinion, as a true beginner you should pick one or two well regarded blades and hone your shaving skills on those. Once you have a hang of how DE shaving works you can begin to tweak things and figure out your preferences. It would be difficult to accurately judge a blade when you have zero experience shaving with one.

Nice analogy. 

39 3,953
 06-16-2017, 04:20 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
Have tried too many to list, however, if you want my top 5 here is the list.

1.)Polsilver
2.)Gillette Silver Blue
3.)Permasharp
4.)Feather
5.)Gillette Green 7 o'clock (Russian) 

You can not go wrong with Pols and Silver Blues.

5 118
 06-16-2017, 06:20 PM
User Info
I came back to DE from carts after about a half a century, and I'm totally new to Traditional Wet Shaving. I went the Sample Pack route, $17.00 including shipping for half a dozen brands including the popular and well respected Feather and Kai. I've tried all those brands and only had one "clunker" (Bolzano) which was one shave and done. I've been waiting for the perfect blade revel itself. Instead I have 4 or 5 blades that give me consistent DFS with a couple of BBS thrown over a 5 shave cycle. I'm thinking that as I get more shaves under my belt, I'll start picking up the little differences between blades and really hone in a the perfect match for me and my Merkur 38C. Right now I'm doing a rotation through 3 different Gillette offerings (GSB, 7 O'clock yellow & black); I'm on my third round of 5 shaves each blade and just starting to have a very distinct preference/rating. No matter how it works out for you, enjoy the testing itself; your technique will improve and so will the shaves.
Six months in and I'm definitely enjoying and learning from the experience!

RON

0 195
 06-24-2017, 01:16 PM
User Info

Suggestions are so a persons has an idea on what
To sample not what to like or dislike and it beats
Just Randomly puting together a sampler pack..

0 27
 07-05-2017, 04:20 AM
User Info
Blades are as personal a choice as soap scents.  A sample pack is a good start.  Use a blade for more than 1 or 2 shaves before you make up your mind.  That being said technique trumps all and that blade you used to think was terrible may be just fine if you revisit it when your technique improves.

18 62