02-26-2017, 10:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: 4bee861fdd0778a2575ac2749f6ec5ec.jpg]

Back in 2013 , I was lucky enough to try this same brush with the HMW hair batch that let me more than happy with it.It was simply what the old Plisson HMW hair used to be and I think that , if you have tried that kind of 3 band badger hair , then you know is basically impossible to improve it.

Well , we are now in 2017 and the new HMW hair batch is like that one in 2013.

[Image: a3807e6d3deeefdf65dd7193a072fa97.jpg]

This is a medium , on the big side , brush.Has a 26 mm knot and a 53 mm loft.

The handle is sturdy and well finished , nothing new here.WSP have been using these same handles since the beginning of its business and it's a classic.Elegant , sturdy and its ergonomics are excellent.

[Image: a48ab0fb3b122172293d6fb40883eb06.jpg]

The HWM hair is just what we should expect from a quality 3 band badger hair.The tips aren't bleached and the knot is extra densely packed with hair.

[Image: c20fbba6d13f7266d328509a3529c362.jpg]

Seriously , after having many Silvertip and 3 band badger hair brushes , I can honestly say that this is one of a kind.

[Image: 5904a711d57feecd4aa31a94d753064b.jpg]

The tips are extra soft and provides a nice , gently massage on the face while using with circular strokes.Inhave noticed it that the tips have soften with use on the last week.They are soft as natural , non chemical bleached/treated hairs should do.They don't have the gel effect but a "velvety one" instead.

Backbone is strong but keeping the natural flexibility of the hairs.Here a blooming pic :

[Image: 304c05f3d5a86a5207cd6c61d4f16de3.jpg]

I have used this brush with some artisan soaps and creams , always performing as I was remembering.

The knot holds water very well and I usually don't need to add more while building/making lather.

If you are a ace latherer or make lather on a shaving bowl , this brush would perform brilliantly.

But the badger hair is what truly makes the difference.Luxurious and exuberant.I can't find other words to describe it.

For 169 dollars , and excellent purchased if you are into 3 band badger hair brushes.I am and I'm very pleased with it.A silvertip Stubby would be next.

88 7,214
 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Teiste,
It is a pleasure to see you posting reviews again.

48 682
 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM
User Info
Nice brush, Teiste! Well done...

73 4,305
 02-26-2017, 06:14 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. Please tell us, how can we order this 2017 batch of HMW hair from WSP?

And perhaps you won't be able to answer this, but what does Lee mean on his website by this:
"Offered with pride from WSP & Plisson. 100% Authentic High Mountain White badger hair. Featuring a stronger backbone with super soft tips. Extremely rare, and oh, so luxurious."

From WSP and Plisson?

43 1,705
 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Angel .....

38 1,873
 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-26-2017, 06:14 PM)Andrew Wrote: Thanks for the review, Teiste. Please tell us, how can we order this 2017 batch of HMW hair from WSP?

And perhaps you won't be able to answer this, but what does Lee mean on his website by this:
"Offered with pride from WSP & Plisson. 100% Authentic High Mountain White badger hair. Featuring a stronger backbone with super soft tips. Extremely rare, and oh, so luxurious."

From WSP and Plisson?

My friend , this hair feels like the old Plisson HMW 3 band badger hair.I have tried that old Plisson hair and , man , amazing one.This one has non as whiter tips but the same feeling.

I guess that Lee means that.But we can ask him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88 7,214
 02-26-2017, 11:04 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Sounds very tempting, especially since I am currently in a brush-buying frenzy.  However, I've had two brushes from WSP and each one was a shedder, so I am afraid to commit to them again.

1 795
 02-27-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
I am lucky enough to have one of those offerings from 2013 and if the 2017 version is similar, this is going to be absolutely fantastic. Just as Tieste describes it, ridiculously soft natural hairs, it has the best heat retention of any brush I've ever used and its feel on the face is a word that gets used a lot but applies here, luxurious. Thought I was done with new brushes for a while...

3 260
 09-22-2017, 09:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for this review and the photos, I purchased one this week and it arrived (along with a Foro Afeitado 2016 LE). I can wait for this thing to hit it's stride and to try it out. Here it is after a few cleansing lathers. Lee gave excellent service and this happened to be my first purchase from WSP.

[Image: ipXaahs.jpg]

81 1,353
 09-23-2017, 12:56 PM
User Info
(09-22-2017, 09:56 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Thanks for this review and the photos, I purchased one this week and it arrived (along with a Foro Afeitado 2016 LE). I can wait for this thing to hit it's stride and to try it out. Here it is after a few cleansing lathers. Lee gave excellent service and this happened to be my first purchase from WSP.

[Image: ipXaahs.jpg]

How does the backbone on the HMW compare to two band badger? I've mostly used Paladin, Declaration, Shavemac, etc. Only 3 band badger I still have is this Vie Long Epsilon.

37 526
 09-23-2017, 08:19 PM
User Info
Nice review Teiste. I also tried the 2013 HMW Stubby from WSP back in the day and it was a real stunner of a brush. The 2017 sounds truly luxurious.

69 2,188
 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM
User Info
(09-23-2017, 12:56 PM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 09:56 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Thanks for this review and the photos, I purchased one this week and it arrived (along with a Foro Afeitado 2016 LE). I can wait for this thing to hit it's stride and to try it out. Here it is after a few cleansing lathers. Lee gave excellent service and this happened to be my first purchase from WSP.

How does the backbone on the HMW compare to two band badger? I've mostly used Paladin, Declaration, Shavemac, etc. Only 3 band badger I still have is this Vie Long Epsilon.

OneBlueCloud, I would say that HMW is in my experience usually a stronger backboned 3 band silver tip. Kind of like some grades being called 2 band or finest which is thicker lower band in the individual hairs and then you have manchurian or even 2 band HMW but I think if there is some faith in naming the grade, this refers to a difference in the hair due to the weather and higher altitude conditions of the sourced badger pelt.

I would say if you tried the D01 Silvertip 3 band Shavemac, then you might have an idea of the type of face feel of similar hair. Obviously Shavemacs are known to be on the denser and firmer side compared to a typical knot. The hair is not likely to gel tip but may have some hairs over breaking in some tips will thin and curl and hook. The Shavemac knot I had was dense and scrubby but after a full break in, the knot was very soft and in my opinion high quality and of good sorting of untreated 3 band silver tip hair. I prefer this hair over treated and gel tip 2 bands. 

If you have tried the Epsilon, you may enjoy the HMW. This brush above, the HMW WSP, is firmer hair although longer in length, but packed well in the knot. The big plus for me is the knot is made without any glue bump. So the entire height of the knot has full free loft. 

I have had a couple Vie Long silver tip 3 bands and to my skin, they feel closer to what I would describe as firmer or more resilient "3 band hair". My Vie Long brush has less density but still is soft yet firm and scrubby on the face. From what I remember, Vie Long and Plisson (and possibly other European knot makers) are importing hair from Eurasian or Meles meles meles badger and typically it feels more natural and longer tapered ends versus knots made of hair with bleached or chemically softened hair to whiten or gel tip. These European made knots still feel very soft without the gel tips but don't lack the presence of natural hair and some mild scrub on the skin.

Long story short, the Stubby knot is more sturdy than a typical silver tip knot but you'd have to be more specific as to which 2 band hair/knot you would want a comparison to.

81 1,353